No announcement yet.

A Return To 70s Hammer/Amicus mayhem..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Return To 70s Hammer/Amicus mayhem..

6. Is a touch obscure. wild guess The Master's Arms. Will pass on this.

1: Anharad Rees..demure Welsh creature.

2: That is one of my favs as it departs from the usual story. No Cush or Van Helsing. The Count is impaled on a large metal crucifix.

3: The oddity that is Whatever Happened To Jack & Jill.

5: Lord Summerisle.

4:
    I will have a think about.wild guess The Karnstein Hunters.

Did you get wifes car going staffslad?

Comment

Good going, Donald.

1. Yes, the lovely Angharad Rees, whom we lost far too soon.

2. Yes, it was the cross that is nailed to the door of Dracula's castle towards the start of the film. A bit of trivia...when Hammer were awarded the Queens Award for Industry in 1968, the awarding committee visited Hammer on the day the scene was being filmed of Dracula being impaled on the cross and they watched it as it was filmed.

3. Yes, a fairly obscure little film.

5. Yes, that's the one...Mr Lee even got to sing.

4. No...hint...opposite of sisterhood

6. No...Hint...a young dead sheep

Sadly, it was more serious than I hoped. Seems as if water was sucked into the engine and it has damaged the camshaft. I was hoping it was just a timing chain issue but no such luck. We have to have a new engine. Well, not new, a reconditioned one, but it has been a darned good car since we bought it brand new in 2004 and if we got rid of it we would have to spend more to get a decent used car and as we know exactly how it has been looked after we are having it fixed, though it will be off the road for a week or two until the mechanic can get a replacement engine and fit it.

Comment

4: Brotherhood.

6: Slaughtered Lamb?

Bloody internal combustion engines. Always breaking down. When I was younger my brakes failed and I tore down a steep hill thru three sets of traffic lites. How I avoided not being hit I have no idea. I was doing some siteseeing in northern England back in early 80s when the Big End went on our Kombi. Holiday ruined. Your turn staffslad old chap.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
          4: Brotherhood.

6: Slaughtered Lamb?

Bloody internal combustion engines. Always breaking down. When I was younger my brakes failed and I tore down a steep hill thru three sets of traffic lites. How I avoided not being hit I have no idea. I was doing some siteseeing in northern England back in early 80s when the Big End went on our Kombi. Holiday ruined. Your turn staffslad old chap.

You got them, Donald. I will post more later today.

I know cars can give serious trouble. What happened here was that we had heavy rain and one of the rural roads my wife traverses to and from work had a few inches of water. As there was a line of traffic she had to go through it slowly and I speculate that maybe the motion of the car in front caused water to enter the air intake, which are quite low. The car stalled and when she restarted the engine was making an odd sound. I was hoping it was a wet sensor or the timing belt had been slightly thrown but no such luck. Ah, well, that's the first time in 14 years we have to pay out serious money for it to be fixed, so we are willing to have it done as it has proved very reliable in the past.

Comment

Some more...

1. In Robert Wise's The Haunting, what was the message Luke found written on the wall?

2. In Taste the Blood of Dracula, what was the name of the character who performed the ritual that resurrected the Count?

3. Dennis Wheatley's novel The Devil Rides Out was filmed by Hammer in 1968, but the company also adapted another of the author's novels in the 70s. What was it?

4. In The Uncanny, what was the name of the cat in the middle story, the one set in modern-day Montreal?

5. Synopsis: In 19th century India, a member of the East India Company investigates the disappearance of many people and suspects that the cult of Thugee is involved. What was the film?

6. In Quatermass and the Pit, what was the name of the street where strange paranormal activity had been reported.

Comment

1: "leave this house"?

2: Is this the one after Dracula is impaled on the crucifix. Isnt there some sort of ritual that returns him to life? Exactly what I do not recall.

4: Wellington

5: Stranglers of Bombay.

6: It was in a London underground station wasnt it? Street name is too obscure.

4: I will pass on this as I have not read any Dennis Wheatley novels. Pretty poor effort sorry staffslad. Will be back here on Sunday. have a good weekend .

Comment

2: You already mentioned the ritual. Do not recall what type. Obviously something to do with blood. Not a chance on character that performs it.

Comment

1: "leave this house"?

2: Is this the one after Dracula is impaled on the crucifix. Isnt there some sort of ritual that returns him to life? Exactly what I do not recall.

4: Wellington

5: Stranglers of Bombay.

6: It was in a London underground station wasnt it? Street name is too obscure.

4: I will pass on this as I have not read any Dennis Wheatley novels. Pretty poor effort sorry staffslad. Will be back here on Sunday. have a good weekend .

1. It was 'help Eleanor come home' Sadly, whatever wrote it didn't consider punctuation, so it can be read several ways.

2. This was the follow--up to the one where Dracula was impaled on the cross. At the beginning of Taste the Blood of Dracula, the impalement scene is shown again, only this time there is a witness who gathers up some of the Count's powdered blood. The blood is bought by a trio of upper-class thrill-seekers, and Dracula is resurrected in a ritual by Lord Courtley, played by Ralph Bates, who is beaten to death for his troubles by the trio.

3. It was To the Devil, a Daughter with Christopher Lee, and was Hammer's last gasp in the 70s.

4. Yes, Wellington. Not exactly stellar SFX but fun all the same.

5. Yes, Stranglers of Bombay.

6. It was Hobbs Lane. There is a scene where it is discovered that its original name was Hob's Lane, Hob being an old name for the devil. If you like Hammer's 1967 film version, also try to see the 1958 BBC serial version with Andre Morell as Quatermass, it is highly recommended.

Have a good weekend, mate.

Comment

I should rewatch the later Draculas staffslad as I have forgotten the plots. Always great fun with the only real Count Christopher Lee and The Cush of course. To the Devil A Daughter.. spoilt by the wooden Richard Widmark if not mistaken. Natassia Kinski was about the best thing in it. Never took to Ande Morell. I did watch some of the John Mills late 70s Quatermass mini series.
                    It is early Sunday morning here in Sydney.. as i woke and was unable to return to sleep. We are having the last throes of summer.. just a mild 38% C today.. that is 100% Farenheit. Snow left the UK now?

Comment

New Ones. Good luck.
                      1: A strange tale about a man trying to capture the soul.

2: Name the soul capturer.

3:synopsis: Mad twin used in nefarious plan to cheat heir out of fortune. Gothic mystery.

4: This is a quote from what early American International Picture.
                      "Better she had never been born than to come back to this…" says her uncle's housekeeper.
                      "It was her destiny to be born a Brandt, as it is mine to die as one…" her uncle answers. He still seems pretty surprised when he does get killed, mind you.

5: Name the film.

Comment

I should rewatch the later Draculas staffslad as I have forgotten the plots. Always great fun with the only real Count Christopher Lee and The Cush of course. To the Devil A Daughter.. spoilt by the wooden Richard Widmark if not mistaken. Natassia Kinski was about the best thing in it. Never took to Ande Morell. I did watch some of the John Mills late 70s Quatermass mini series.
                        It is early Sunday morning here in Sydney.. as i woke and was unable to return to sleep. We are having the last throes of summer.. just a mild 38% C today.. that is 100% Farenheit. Snow left the UK now?

We had a Return of the Beast from the East here last night. It started snowing about 10pm and there is still a bit in the air now, plus maybe 4" on the ground. No gritters around here and my wife is stuck at work. She has to travel over rural roads plus negotiate a big hill so I told her to stay with her friend as it's near her work, she's working again tonight and safer than driving on our ungritted roads. I don't expect the snow will stay on the ground for more than a day or two, but I am heartily fed up of this winter.

I am on the case for your quiz, Donald.

Comment

The Beast From The East hit us too. I'm so sick of this weather. Driving to work in the snow is a nightmare. It's cleared now but the wind is freezing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuggy14 View Post
                            The Beast From The East hit us too. I'm so sick of this weather. Driving to work in the snow is a nightmare. It's cleared now but the wind is freezing.

We still have around 3" on the ground. Yes, that wind is flipping cold. That 38 deg C of Donald's sounds so inviting when you're perishing. Trouble is that this country's climate is usually very temperate, so we just don't have the infrastructure to cope with extremes nowadays, especially as winters have been mainly fairly mild recently. I wouldn't complain if I never saw another snowflake again. I hope the hounds have been set on the beast and have driven him away for good this time.

Comment

New Ones. Good luck.
                              1: A strange tale about a man trying to capture the soul.

2: Name the soul capturer.

3:synopsis: Mad twin used in nefarious plan to cheat heir out of fortune. Gothic mystery.

4: This is a quote from what early American International Picture.
                              "Better she had never been born than to come back to this…" says her uncle's housekeeper.
                              "It was her destiny to be born a Brandt, as it is mine to die as one…" her uncle answers. He still seems pretty surprised when he does get killed, mind you.

5: Name the film.

1. The Asphyx

2. Robert Stephens

3. The Black Torment--saw it at my gran's house at age 11 late one friday night.

4. Cat Girl--haven't seen this one in ages, and it is rarely screened for some reason. Definitely among the least known AIPs.

5. I will get back to you for this one.

Donald, that 38 deg C sounds so tempting. What is the temp there mid-summer?

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                                We still have around 3" on the ground. Yes, that wind is flipping cold. That 38 deg C of Donald's sounds so inviting when you're perishing. Trouble is that this country's climate is usually very temperate, so we just don't have the infrastructure to cope with extremes nowadays, especially as winters have been mainly fairly mild recently. I wouldn't complain if I never saw another snowflake again. I hope the hounds have been set on the beast and have driven him away for good this time.
                                Nugs/staffslad blame Vlad Putin for the Beast ..he sent it from Siberia to punish the UK for harboring that poisoned Russian spy. Believe me 38C is not inviting.. it is like being inside a furnace. You can stand it for no more than a few minutes. Hell I feel for the early Australians before air conditioning. What I would give for a snow fall this winter. We have our Alps but can not afford to indulge.

Comment

Working...
                                X