No announcement yet.

A Return To 70s Hammer/Amicus mayhem..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Return To 70s Hammer/Amicus mayhem..

synopsis: familiar Victorian Streets Of Olde Londone Towne. Fog shrouds, snow cascades, men sell fish and children sing about the poor infant mortality rate. A top hatted man pops into the home of recently-widowed Mrs Allen to offer her a job.

70s thriller about a widow who takes in a young layabout for odd jobs.

Who is the lead actress.

Who featured in Night Train To Murder.

synopsis: Psychotic strumpet in too-small school uniform brings home the wrong type of "friend".

Good luck staffslad. Much cooler now thank goodness.

Comment

Answers to my quiz...

Yes, Dracula is accidentally impaled on a broken wheel spoke...he gets some bad luck in these films.

The 80s slasher was originally known as April Fool's Day, but had to be retitled to Slaughter High as Paramount were already making a film called April Fool's Day. The Hammer starlet was Caroline Munro, complete with American accent, but when you look as good as Miss Munro, dodgy accents don't matter.

Okay, Donald, some intrigueing questions in your quiz, several have me having a good think. I will get back with my answers ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
        synopsis: familiar Victorian Streets Of Olde Londone Towne. Fog shrouds, snow cascades, men sell fish and children sing about the poor infant mortality rate. A top hatted man pops into the home of recently-widowed Mrs Allen to offer her a job.

70s thriller about a widow who takes in a young layabout for odd jobs.

Who is the lead actress.

Who featured in Night Train To Murder.

synopsis: Psychotic strumpet in too-small school uniform brings home the wrong type of "friend".

Good luck staffslad. Much cooler now thank goodness.

1. The Amazing Mr Blunden. A staple of Xmas TV in the late 70s and 80s.

2. and 3. I'm still thinking on these.

4. Morcombe and Wise. TBH I am not their biggest fan, and this turkey does them no favours.

5. There's only one psychotic strumpet in a too small school uniform worth the description, and that's Girly in Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny and Girly. There's no way this would be made in 2018 PC Britain.

I've got a tentative anser for 2. and 3. but need a bit more time to make sure I haven't missed anything, so will anser those later.

Comment

Okay, I am not completely confident, but I am going for The Night Digger, with leading actress being Patricia Neal.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
            Okay, I am not completely confident, but I am going for The Night Digger, with leading actress being Patricia Neal.
            You got em all staffslad. No surprise there. Well done.

Comment

A new quiz...

1. Synopsis: When police are baffled, a reporter and female teacher investigate a series of rapes and murders of schoolgirls in a 70s shocker. What was the film? Hint: There is a connection to 70s Aussie series Boney.

2. In Dracula: Prince of Darkness, how was the Count resurrected?

3. Who played the phantom in Hammer's version of The Phantom of the Opera?

4. In Island of Terror, how were the silicate creatures destroyed?

5. In which segment of an Amicus anthology did Christopher Lee and Chloe Franks play father and daughter?

Good luck, Donald.

Comment

That the one with a teenage Lesley Ann Downe? Was it Assault. Tho the Boney connection being James Laurenson I presume.. was not in that one if memory serves.

Ages since I saw Prince Of Darkness. So pass.

The excellent Herbert Lom.

Some sort of radio active material.

It was The House That Dripped Blood. Remember the theme. Little girl is a witch and wants her father dead. Was the name something about Sweet.. Sweet Little Girl?

How is your weekend staffslad?

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                  That the one with a teenage Lesley Ann Downe? Was it Assault. Tho the Boney connection being James Laurenson I presume.. was not in that one if memory serves.

Ages since I saw Prince Of Darkness. So pass.

The excellent Herbert Lom.

Some sort of radio active material.

It was The House That Dripped Blood. Remember the theme. Little girl is a witch and wants her father dead. Was the name something about Sweet.. Sweet Little Girl?

How is your weekend staffslad?

1. Yes, Assault. James Laurenson played Greg Lomax. Lesley Anne Down played another schoolgirl who gets raped directly after her role in Assault, in an episode of Out of the Unknown titled To Lay a Ghost, perhaps the most disturbing piece of television drama I have ever seen.

2. Four people stay for the night at Castle Dracula. One is murdered and hung over a coffin holding Dracula's ashes. He is slit open and his blood resurrects the Count.

3. Yes, Herbert Lom.

4. Yes, it is fed to cattle and the Silicates eat the cattle.

5. It was, indeed, The House that Dripped Blood, and the segment was Sweets to the Sweet.

Well done, Donald. My weekend is okay. We got my wife's car back friday with its reconditioned engine, so been giving it a few miles to make sure it is working as it should and it seems fine. Hope your weekend is also good.

Comment

1. Yes, Assault. James Laurenson played Greg Lomax. Lesley Anne Down played another schoolgirl who gets raped directly after her role in Assault, in an episode of Out of the Unknown titled To Lay a Ghost, perhaps the most disturbing piece of television drama I have ever seen.

2. Four people stay for the night at Castle Dracula. One is murdered and hung over a coffin holding Dracula's ashes. He is slit open and his blood resurrects the Count.

3. Yes, Herbert Lom.

4. Yes, it is fed to cattle and the Silicates eat the cattle.

5. It was, indeed, The House that Dripped Blood, and the segment was Sweets to the Sweet.

Well done, Donald. My weekend is okay. We got my wife's car back friday with its reconditioned engine, so been giving it a few miles to make sure it is working as it should and it seems fine. Hope your weekend is also good.
                    I saw To Lay A Ghost. Yes it was disturbing. I remember Freddie Jones and Suzie Kendall in Assault..not Laurenson. Lomax was that the teacher? My weekend is going ok.. tho the rain stays so indoors entertainment only.

Comment

I'm not sure if Laurenson played a teacher or maybe it was the hospital psychologist. I remember seeing the film and thinking "Hey, that's Boney!" It's been a very long time since I last saw Assault. It rarely makes appearances on TV now.

How did you manage to see To Lay a Ghost? It was on Youtube a few years back but seems to have been removed. I saw a few episodes when it was released in 1971 but can't remember if To Lay a Ghost was one. I do remember seeing The Chopper about a haunted motorbike and that one is beleived lost now.

Comment

I'm not sure if Laurenson played a teacher or maybe it was the hospital psychologist. I remember seeing the film and thinking "Hey, that's Boney!" It's been a very long time since I last saw Assault. It rarely makes appearances on TV now.

How did you manage to see To Lay a Ghost? It was on Youtube a few years back but seems to have been removed. I saw a few episodes when it was released in 1971 but can't remember if To Lay a Ghost was one. I do remember seeing The Chopper about a haunted motorbike and that one is beleived lost now.
                        It was one of the Chiller series from memory. I think I downloaded it.

Comment

Guess it is my turn staffslad. Time I gave you a testing time.

synopsis: Big game hunter takes on furry foe and assorted red herrings. 1974 film.

Name three actors in this.

Who does Marianne Danielle meet up with in the first scene of Brides of Dracula.

A 90s zombies flick.

synopsis: Camp antiques dealer strangles, stabs, burns and jumps-out-of-cupboards-at women of all varieties (not just dollybirds)

name lead actor.

Comment

1. The Beast must Die

2. Anton Diffring, Peter Cushing, Calvin Lockhart

3. She gets stranded at an inn while on her way to starting a job at a girls' school. Baroness Meinster pays a visist to the inn and invites her to the castle, so I presume you are referring to Baroness Meinster.

4. I'm working on this one...not much to go on.

5. Craze

6. Jack Palance

Comment

The 90s zombies film is rather vague and there are several that fit the description. Can you be a bit more specific...plot...star...year or something similar so I can figure out which one you are referring to pls.

Comment

1. The Beast must Die

2. Anton Diffring, Peter Cushing, Calvin Lockhart

3. She gets stranded at an inn while on her way to starting a job at a girls' school. Baroness Meinster pays a visist to the inn and invites her to the castle, so I presume you are referring to Baroness Meinster.

4. I'm working on this one...not much to go on.

5. Craze

6. Jack Palance
                                Unbelievable. Seems I can not stump you.

Comment

Working...
                                X