Let's Carry On.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Let's Carry On.

In which film was Bernard Bresslaw's girlfriend played by Valerie Leon?

Comment

Think that is Girls

Comment

Correct, it was, indeed, Carry on Girls.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
          Correct, it was, indeed, Carry on Girls.
          You get my Monday
          pm?
          Last edited by Donald the Great; 01-08-2018, 06:53.

Comment

In 1946, X first applied to RADA, the audition was unsuccessful. X did succeed in being admitted to PARADA, the academy's preparatory school, and finally, on the fourth attempt, X graduated and trained at RADA. X graduated from RADA in 1950..

Which Carry On member is this.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
              In 1946, X first applied to RADA, the audition was unsuccessful. X did succeed in being admitted to PARADA, the academy's preparatory school, and finally, on the fourth attempt, X graduated and trained at RADA. X graduated from RADA in 1950..

Which Carry On member is this.

I think that was Joan Sims.

Which Carry On star had a catchphrase "I only arsked" which was used at least once in the series, but was actually popularised from their appearances in an earlier TV series.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                I think that was Joan Sims.

Which Carry On star had a catchphrase "I only arsked" which was used at least once in the series, but was actually popularised from their appearances in an earlier TV series.
                It certainly was Joanie staffslad. To my knowledge the only RADA graduate Carry On member. Tho would not be surprised if Kenneth Williams also was one.

As for your posting. Had to have been a cockney I am thinking. To have corrupted that word. The only cockney I can think of was Sid. Unless it is Bernard Bresslaw.

Comment

It certainly was Joanie staffslad. To my knowledge the only RADA graduate Carry On member. Tho would not be surprised if Kenneth Williams also was one.

As for your posting. Had to have been a cockney I am thinking. To have corrupted that word. The only cockney I can think of was Sid. Unless it is Bernard Bresslaw.
                  It was Bernard Bresslaw. The catchphrase came from his appearances in the very popular 50s sitcom The Army Game. Sid James, although strongly associated with London and having a cockney accent, was actually a South African. Surprisingly, Kenneth Williams didn't go to RADA. He was always disappointed that he wasn't considered for more serious acting roles.

Regarding Joan Sims, she imo was the best actress in the Carry On series. She was most closely associated with comedy, but was also a very fine dramatic actress. Try to catch her in an episode of the 80s series Ladykillers where she played Amelia Dyer, the Victorian era baby farmer and serial murderess, where her performance is chilling and light years away from her Carry On work.

Comment

Sid was a South African Jew by the name of Solomon Cohen. Did you know that? I agree Joanie was the best of the Carry On thespians. i will try tgo catch Ladykillers.. is it a doco staffslad?

Comment

Sid was a South African Jew by the name of Solomon Cohen. Did you know that? I agree Joanie was the best of the Carry On thespians. i will try tgo catch Ladykillers.. is it a doco staffslad?

According to Carry on Darkly, he was a top women's hairdresser in his home country.

No, although it features Sims as the real-life Dyer, it is presented as a drama.

Comment

I could only find the Ladykillers Amelia Dyer documentary. Do you know the name of the one you are talking of?

Comment

The episode is entitled Suffer Little Children, and I suppose it is actually a docu-drama, concentrating on Dyer's trial--she was a truly loathsome creature and richly deserved her end imo. I recommend the other episodes in the Ladykillers series.

Comment

I have found it staffslad. Bit of a talk fest being her trial. Will check out the other Ladykiller eps. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Here is another bio.

Born in Watford in 1927 I began my theatrical career in my teens at the Watford Amateur Dramatic Society playing small comic roles. During the Second World War I served in the Royal Navy and in 1945 I used my demobilisation gratuity to enter show-business as a manager of seaside shows around Britain.

Who Am I?

Comment

Here is another bio.

Born in Watford in 1927 I began my theatrical career in my teens at the Watford Amateur Dramatic Society playing small comic roles. During the Second World War I served in the Royal Navy and in 1945 I used my demobilisation gratuity to enter show-business as a manager of seaside shows around Britain.

Who Am I?

Terry Scott.

Comment

Working...
                                X