Let's Carry On.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Let's Carry On.

Who can name the actor/comedian that stars in these three films.

Carry on cruising, In the doghouse, Yellow submarine
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
      Sarah allcock... Several regulars are awol in this one, Sid james,Peter butterworth,Bernard breslaw

It took some time for the regulars to really establish themselves into what might be called the Carry On "team." Personally, I prefer the later films where characterisation and plot format were formed.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
        Who can name the actor/comedian that stars in these three films.

Carry on cruising, In the doghouse, Yellow submarine

I think that would be Lance Percival.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
          It took some time for the regulars to really establish themselves into what might be called the Carry On "team." Personally, I prefer the later films where characterisation and plot format were formed.
          Yes but surely the real evolution of the team started in the formative films. Werent only James and Bresslaw the only two that were added later. One to provide the womanising character and the other the big hulking gentle giant character.

Comment

I think that would be Lance Percival.
            Correctomundo, also a talented impressionist

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
              Yes but surely the real evolution of the team started in the formative films. Werent only James and Bresslaw the only two that were added later. One to provide the womanising character and the other the big hulking gentle giant character.

Sid James' evolution in the Carry Ons is interesting. In his early appearances like Cruising, Constable and Cabbie, he played authority figures or respectable owners of businesses. It was later that his lecherous persona was established. After that, Sid basically played the same character in each film.

Comment

Sid James' evolution in the Carry Ons is interesting. In his early appearances like Cruising, Constable and Cabbie, he played authority figures or respectable owners of businesses. It was later that his lecherous persona was established. After that, Sid basically played the same character in each film.
                I've not seen many pre-Carry On work from Sid James, but I've heard he was a lot more versatile than the lecherous persona from the later films would have you believe.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  I've not seen many pre-Carry On work from Sid James, but I've heard he was a lot more versatile than the lecherous persona from the later films would have you believe.

Yes, I would agree with that. His pre-Carry on roles were far more varied. His Carry on work more or less excluded him from genres other than comedy. He was loved by the public for his comedy but I wonder if he resented his success as a comedy actor in that it limited the roles he was offered? Ironically, his death in 1976 coincided with the end of the Carry on series, apart from several very poor offerings, and I wonder if that would have led to a more varied range of roles. We have seen actors best known for comedy turn in creditable performances in drama, and I have the feeling Sid James might have joined that list if he had lived.

Comment

Yes, I would agree with that. His pre-Carry on roles were far more varied. His Carry on work more or less excluded him from genres other than comedy. He was loved by the public for his comedy but I wonder if he resented his success as a comedy actor in that it limited the roles he was offered? Ironically, his death in 1976 coincided with the end of the Carry on series, apart from several very poor offerings, and I wonder if that would have led to a more varied range of roles. We have seen actors best known for comedy turn in creditable performances in drama, and I have the feeling Sid James might have joined that list if he had lived.
                    Sid had a decent body of work even before his first Carry On.
                    Man in Black (1949) as Henry Clavering / Hodson
                    The Lavender Hill Mob (1951) as Lackery
                    The Titfield Thunderbolt (1953) as Hawkins
                    The House Across the Lake (1954) as Beverly Forrest
                    Orders Are Orders (1954) as Ed Waggermeyer
                    A Kid for Two Farthings (1955) as Ice Berg
                    Wicked as They Come (1956) as Frank Allenborg
                    Hell Drivers (1957) as Dusty. He also put in a star turn as Luck in the Australian set drama The Shiralee (1957)

Comment

Whose turn is it?

Comment

Whose turn is it?
                        Staffs

Comment

Which Carry On actor starred in a late 60s sci-fi film that also featured Alf Garnett and Maya from Space: 1999?

Comment

Just a stab .. Peter Cushing.

Comment

Just a stab .. Peter Cushing.

The actor was one of the biggest stars of the Carry On series and who sadly passed away far too soon.

Comment

I know Bernard breslaw starred in the Jaberwocky (1977) with Warren mitchell aka Alf garnett...?

Comment

Working...
                                X