Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machine above cash till in the 70s

Default Machine above cash till in the 70s

Just watching the News and had my memory jogged...
    it showed a checkout till in a supermarket in 1975
    about head height over the money till, I saw a grey box about 8 x 10 inches with a ring of grey and green buttons in a semi circle

i remember them from back them but never knew what they did

any ideas?.
    Last edited by sixtyten; 13-12-2017 at 23:46.

Default Re: Machine above cash till in the 70s

Got a screen shot...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 781A32E2-D5AB-4D31-9306-4015CFB1D523.jpg  

Stamp dispenser? I seem to remember these machines in Co-op stores in the late 1970s/early 1980s for dispensing stamps which you had to save and stick in a book. A filled book was worth 1 I think and you could use them like cash in the store. Think of them as similar to today's customer loyalty cards, e.g. Nectar.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalBall View Post
    Stamp dispenser? I seem to remember these machines in Co-op stores in the late 1970s/early 1980s for dispensing stamps which you had to save and stick in a book. A filled book was worth 1 I think and you could use them like cash in the store. Think of them as similar to today's customer loyalty cards, e.g. Nectar.
    Almost certainly a stamp dispenser. Besides the Co-op, other shops that issued Green Shield stamps used them. The Co-op stamp books were worth a 1 if you used them to purchase goods, but were worth less if you exchanged them for cash, 33 pence IIRC. Later the Co-op books were worth 5. The stamps were bigger, and you had to spend more to receive the stamp. I think the stamp was about four times the size of the original stamp.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

That's right, and there were Co-op stamps with different values - I think single stamps, '5' stamps and bigger '40' stamps. You could stick 40 single stamps on a page, 8 '5' stamps or a single '40' stamp. My gran used to save them in an envelope and then get my sister and me to stick them in the books. One day of the week (Tuesday?) was double stamp day and the stores were busier then, especially people buying alcohol and tobacco.

Thanks
    that's what I suspected they might be

I don't remember them - this was well before my time. Did lots of shops have those machines?

However, I will go along with everyone else and assume that it was a stamp dispenser as well. I know that Argos was basically a straightforward conversion from the Green Shield Stamps format to a mainstream cash or credit retail business, and I assume that most stores followed suit during the 1970s and 1980s.

I am also assuming that Blue Chip stamps were also sold as well as Green Shield Stamps. I vaguely remember my father banking with the Co-op and getting stamps, and also he had cheque book-sized books of TV Licensing stamps as well.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

[QUOTE=George 1978;221190]I don't remember them - this was well before my time. Did lots of shops have those machines?

Any shop that issued Green Shield stamps had these machines. Co-op stamps were exactly the same size, different colour and Co-op was printed on them.

Co-op and Green Shield stamps were the most common. Does anybody else remember any other shop giving out their own brand of stamps?
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

My parents used to have some books of Co-op & Green Shield stamps around but were binned in a clearout.

Green Shield stamps were common to get with petrol until prices went high & the oil companies dropped them to keep costs down.

There were some pink stamps around, not sure who offered them.
    The Trickster On The Roof

I have to say that the image that we can see above reminds me of those documentaries about decimalisation from 1971 that we see sometimes. It would be great to have a look at the shelves of that shop to see the old-fashioned tins and boxes.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).