Dramarama Episode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dramarama Episode

I am sure many of you remember the Children's ITV series Dramarama which ran in the mid to late 1980s, and various ITV companies such TVS, Thames and Central contributed. I suppose that it was a bit like a children's version of Tales of the Unexpected, which is ironic considering that Anglia never made any episodes for the series - one would have thought that if the company had the capacity to do TOTU, then why couldn't they do a couple of episodes for a children's television equivalent?

Anyway, I vaguely remember a certain episode that was on so well - I asked this in the comments section on a YT page that has a Dramarama episode on, and it rang one or two bells with some people there. So I have decided to ask on here to see if anyone remembers it.

The episode that I remember is one from perhaps 1985 or 1986, where it featured a young lad, who I think won a rabbit (or a hamster or something) as a prize after visiting a fairground along with two of his friends. He kept it in a shoebox under his bed so that his parents didn't find out as I assume that they didn't want animals in the house. But when they did find out, they had become livid. As soon as friends left the house, his father took the belt off his trousers and repeatedly hit the boy with it with him yelling, and his mother was in hysterics, while his friends were looking on, seeing this through the front room window. I bet that the IBA, Mary Whitehouse (and children's charities) were a bit uneasy at showing something like that in a CITV slot, never mind before the 9.00 pm watershed.

I am certain that this was a Dramarama episode, and was probably made by either Central or TVS, although it could have been another 4.45 pm CITV drama series instead in the mid 1980s. I remember it was a one-off, so it could have fitted into this series. This has stuck in my mind for around 30 years - which episode could it have been?

I am not expecting anyone to have the answer to this, but I will put this on here just in case it rings any bells with anyone.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Dramarama Episode

it doesn't ring any bells with me. do any of the shows on this link seem like that episode ?

https://tv.kirrupt.com/show/dramarama-spooky

Comment

I am not certain - it's frustrating when you can remember the storyline, but cannot remember the episode title.
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Ooooo intriguing, non of this rings a bell but check out Amazon for the DVD's

maybe this will help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dramarama_(TV_series)
        DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

I looked at that, and as it only lists titles, it isn't much help. I assumed that it was "Because I Say So" or some episode like that.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I read somewhere that the TVS Dramarama episodes have not yet been released on DVD. It might have something to do with nobody knows where the tapes from the TVS archive are.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
              I read somewhere that the TVS Dramarama episodes have not yet been released on DVD. It might have something to do with nobody knows where the tapes from the TVS archive are.
              The fact that TVS doesn't exist in its original form is one reason - MTM and even Disney were two companies that took over the TVS archive, didn't they?

As I said before, it could have been another 4.45 pm children's drama from the mid 1980s, but Dramarama always springs to mind.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                The fact that TVS doesn't exist in its original form is one reason - MTM and even Disney were two companies that took over the TVS archive, didn't they?
                Disney claims that they own the TVS archive but exactly which programmes they have the rights to is unknown. Large numbers of video tapes from the TVS archive were stored in the Maidstone Studios in the early 2000s but nobody knows the whereabouts of them now. It's possible that the TVS archive has been split up with Disney holding the high value programmes (like C.A.T.S. Eyes) and the lower grade stuff was sold along with the Maidstone Studios. Who ended up taking the Dramarama episodes is a mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                  I am sure many of you remember the Children's ITV series Dramarama which ran in the mid to late 1980s, and various ITV companies such TVS, Thames and Central contributed. I suppose that it was a bit like a children's version of Tales of the Unexpected, which is ironic considering that Anglia never made any episodes for the series - one would have thought that if the company had the capacity to do TOTU, then why couldn't they do a couple of episodes for a children's television equivalent?

Anyway, I vaguely remember a certain episode that was on so well - I asked this in the comments section on a YT page that has a Dramarama episode on, and it rang one or two bells with some people there. So I have decided to ask on here to see if anyone remembers it.

The episode that I remember is one from perhaps 1985 or 1986, where it featured a young lad, who I think won a rabbit (or a hamster or something) as a prize after visiting a fairground along with two of his friends. He kept it in a shoebox under his bed so that his parents didn't find out as I assume that they didn't want animals in the house. But when they did find out, they had become livid. As soon as friends left the house, his father took the belt off his trousers and repeatedly hit the boy with it with him yelling, and his mother was in hysterics, while his friends were looking on, seeing this through the front room window. I bet that the IBA, Mary Whitehouse (and children's charities) were a bit uneasy at showing something like that in a CITV slot, never mind before the 9.00 pm watershed.

I am certain that this was a Dramarama episode, and was probably made by either Central or TVS, although it could have been another 4.45 pm CITV drama series instead in the mid 1980s. I remember it was a one-off, so it could have fitted into this series. This has stuck in my mind for around 30 years - which episode could it have been?

I am not expecting anyone to have the answer to this, but I will put this on here just in case it rings any bells with anyone.
                  Hi George

I just stumbled across this post and I too remember this episode and it was definetly Dramarama. I was a big fan of the show as a kid in the 1980s and remember the episode well but just don’t remember its name. For some reason it always stayed with me. I did my own research a few years back and from episode guides I thought it may have been entitled “A Couple of Charlie’s” but I can’t be certain. I’d love to revisit it if anyone has it in any format

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

George 1978 just seeing this thread now. You are indeed correct. It was an episode of Dramarama but I thought it may have been an episode called “A Couple of Charlie’s”
                    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0901908/
                    I was a big fan of this show growing up in the 80s and for some reason that episode always stayed with me. I’d love to revisit it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Only just come back and saw your reply.

You could be right although as it isn't online I am not saying that you are 100% correct - A Couple of Charlies was the Only Dramarama episode in the 1986 series to be made by Central, and I did feel that it had a very Midlands feel to it - and so it could fit in that way. The fairground situation reminded me of the annual Goose Fair that happens in Nottingham for a few days at the start of each October, and as a lot of Central children's dramas were filmed in Nottingham a la Woof!, it could fit into there quite nicely.

From what I can see in the IMDB entry, "Father" and "Mother" are listed, and I notice that the Father was played by Garry Cooper (not the Gary Cooper of course) - an actor that I recognise as appearing in Coronation Street credits in autumn 1989 as a detective around the Alan Bradley "out of prison and threatening Rita Fairclough" storyline - someone who would easily play a character who would give "a good hiding" to someone.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Finding the excellent Curious British Telly website just now, it seems that the episode was indeed A Couple of Charlies - the second episode in the 1986 Dramarama series and was made by Central.

The "giving him a belting" mentioned in the episode immediately made me realise that it was the one that I was referring to - what do you think?

http://www.curiousbritishtelly.co.uk...-charlies.html
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

ADDENDUM: The episode's was first TX was at 4.45 pm on Monday 7th July 1986 with a repeat at the same time on Monday 20th July 1987. According to the 1987 synopsis in The Times, the episode was made with the help of the NSPCC.

No wonder I remember it so well after over three decades.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I think all the Dramaramas I have on DVD were Thames productions so always interested in even just reading about some of the others... wish they could all be found and released.
                            My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Working...
                            X