Toilet breaks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet breaks.

Hi, I am a year 2 teacher and don't let children go to the toilet in lesson time, Would you have a problem with this rule if it was your child?

Re: Toilet breaks.

When I was young, any toilet that wasn't the one at home used to be strange and unfamiliar to me, and I tried so much to avoid using any other toilet when I was out of the house. I even used a toddler trainer seat for more years that most others would.

One example was when I was at Infant School - I was around five or six, and the inevitable happened at least twice. The wet clothes went home in a bag while something was found in my size in lost property. By the time I left, I had gained control of the situation. I know that I am speaking from my own personal experience from the best part of 35 years ago.

In recent years, I am alright when I used a public toilet, but when it comes to the urinals, sometimes that can be a bit daunting, considering that one doesn't have that much privacy, not to mention other men in the same room. I know that people have phobias of using public toilets, probably because of the hygiene and also the fact that other people can be there when it is used.

I do think that youngsters can be afraid to put their hand up and say to the teacher that they need to go during lesson time, probably because the teacher might say no, or because they may think that they are making an excuse to get out of lessons - half an hour until break, lunch or the end of school can be a long time to a youngster. If the child has special needs (and indeed bladder or bowel difficulties) then I would make an exception and give priority. Risk assessments and things like that would most likely need to be put in place compared to when I was that age.

In a nutshell, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

One of the things I hated about school was that the toilet stalls in the boys restroom had no doors but the girls did.

Comment

I would have a problem with this. I'm a trainee doctor and wouldn't advise denying anyone the freedom of using a toilet.

Comment

My Daughter is in year 2, I would definitely have something to say if my daughter came home after "an accident" occurred and I found out the teacher was restricting her using the lavatory >
          DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Put yourself in their shoes. You are in a packed room and need to visit the toilet, wgat do you do?

Comment

I totally agree, using a toilet is human nature and teachers or anyone else have no right to deny anyone the right to this. If i had children i would want any teacher sacked for breaching human rights.

Comment

They are not holding on for that long, they do get breaktime and lunchtime to go to the toilet.

Comment

When i was at school our teacher had many 'toilet breaks'and would come back smelling of ciggies! Court cases have toilet breaks, teachers have no right denying a child a toilet break. I would have gone to a toilet regardless of what my teacher said, they are there to teach,not to deprive people of their rights. My sister in law is a teacher and she would never deny a child this.

Comment

My secondary school had a few "little Hitler" teachers that would be strict on toilet breaks.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I taught for 20 years in primary schools so understand that this can be a tricky one. However, with young children you cannot be too strict about it as it is quite easy for them to be 'caught short'. A few children might abuse the system but that's life and a few unnecessary trips to the toilet are not going to do any harm. Are there Key Stage/whole school guidelines on this? It could be that your 'Toilet Policy' needs reviewing!

Comment

In primary (junior) school, generally they would allow you to go to the toilet during lessons. They did discourage it during the fourth year, aged 10, but did not stop you.

The comprehensive was a different matter. I do remember one boy being refused permission to go during lesson. He just shouted "I've got to go! I'm going!" then ran out of class. There was an almighty row when he came back. That was during the first lesson in the morning. He was kept in during break, but failed to appear in the lesson after break. It came to light, after being kept back during break, he decided not to go to the next lesson. He simply cleared off home. This brought his parents down the school the following day. They must have taken him out of the school. We never saw him after.
                        Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I remember a time at secondary school when our whole class was put on detention, the school hadn't informed any parents of this so after our last lesson of the day i stood up and got ready to leave, my teacher tried to verbally stop me but i told her my parents haven't been told of detention and will be worrying about me, then i left, i was the only pupil to do this and my parents backed my decision to leave, they also went to the school and reported this teacher to the head, who wiped the floor with her!

Comment

In my primary school it was frowned upon to go to the toilet during lessons and often refused. Even as a child I thought this was unreasonable. It creates a lot of anxiety as children often can't control themselves as well as adults. it used to annoy me that right into high school we'd have to ask permission to go to the toilet.
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

Students given permission slips or otherwise is fine to allow students to go to the toilet. There will always be some students who want to visit the toilet to truant the lesson or meet up with friends

Comment

Working...
                              X