Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the rugger fields

Default Re: the rugger fields

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Bear View Post
    You must have absolutely stunk out the changing rooms after the Rugger!
    I cunningly played rather rubbish so nobody passed me the ball...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

What about pride in performance giving your all for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    i cunningly played rather rubbish so nobody passed me the ball...
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    What about pride in performance giving your all for the team.
    Not when there's sheep pooh around! Anyway, I wasn't picked for the school team so it was never a problem.
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    Not when there's sheep pooh around! Anyway, I wasn't picked for the school team so it was never a problem.
    Badger poo is the worst. Back when there used to be woodland Paintball tournaments it would sometimes get very muddy, overnight rain would cause some of the positions/barricades to become a muddy watery mess, sometimes there would be a badger poo in there too, which stunk, bad. It was always a game to trick one of your mates into sliding into one of them so they got covered in the stinky stuff!

At both my Schools (Primary plus both Secondarys) nobody got anywhere nr the best pitches - unless you represented ther School Team/s or was conneceted throgh County teams and even then you was lead on all suited and booted like Wenger/Fergie etc would check the pitch out first hand (and for Rugby to boot too - if you'll pardon the pun)

80sChav

Quote Originally Posted by Pussywillow View Post
    Ah yes the rugger fields at my shite grammar school. What fun. Many a happy 'lesson' spent on these.
    Oh, the rugga. Oh yes. As a 5 foot whippet the games master(s) thought it most amusing to play me as a hooker. Thus, I was suspended about 3 feet off the ground with my arms hanging around the neck of two 6 foot boys.
    As an decidedly average, but couragous rugby back I was often picked as a last ditch choice for my house if I was unfortunate enough to be in the lower form when the season came around. I really wasn't very good and never got badly hurt despite trying to tackle some huge bigger boys, Hah. must have been my Welsh heritage. Strangely (or perhaps not in my case) I had the same rugby kit all through 5 years at this particular dump.
    All this brings back memories - although I think I changed my Rugger kit every year. I was also quite wiry as a schoolboy - I put on weight later. Despite all the adverse aspects of 'Rugga' I enjoyed it and was good enough to be chosen for House and eventually School teams. It probably did me good and was an outlet for my natural energy. Being a masochist I continued to play at university.

A
    Oh, the rugga. Oh yes.
    It always seemed to be raining when we did rugby in games and afterwards you did everything you could to avoid having a shower and ended the day covered in head to foot in mud and filth with your kit rammed as a soggy mass in your bag. How the hell my mother ever got it clean I really don't know. And the worst bit was having to clean those muddy boots, which of course you'd left in your bag from the week before and they'd be all wet and stunk like a polecat's ****. Again for some reason my boots we different from everybody elses. Oddly it may have been that I wore proper rugby boots rather than football boots.
    Actually I enjoyed the hot (often almost scaldingly hot) shower after a cold or wet 'Rugga' game and/or standing round listening to the games master. I enjoyed the camaraderie of the 'locker room' - a place for mucking about with team mates and playing endless practical jokes on each other. The match teas afterwards would consist of cups of weak tea and over-buttered toast.

There was no football allowed at my school, although almost any footwear was tolerated.
    Lastly, I recall we were never allowed to KICK the rugby ball. We never did conversions, even in house games. .
    Ironic in a way, given that Rugger started with a conversion, i.e. a chap at Rugby School picking up the ball and running instead of kicking.
    There was no football allowed at my school either I'm afraid.

Oh, the rugga.
    b) our rugby 'lessons' never involved a game as such just endless droning on about formations and wedges that seemed to obssess our games master(s).
    I also remember the constant 'droning on' about formations and wedges. One in particular who was ex-Navy seemed to take a particular delight in making us stand around in the cold as he talked ... and talked. ... and talked. Extremely flatulent himself, I recall that he told us that he didn't care if it was so cold that our farts would freeze in mid-air, we were damned well going to listen to him!

Ah yes the rugger fields at my shite grammar school.
    Oh, the rugga.
    As an decidedly average, but couragous rugby back I was often picked as a last ditch choice for my house if I was unfortunate enough to be in the lower form when the season came around. I really wasn't very good and never got badly hurt despite trying to tackle some huge bigger boys, Hah. must have been my Welsh heritage.
    My understanding is that in Wales the game always has to be called Rugby, never 'Rugger' (or 'Rugga'!). Exactly why, I am not sure.