Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the rugger fields

Originally posted by Pussywillow View Post
    Ah yes the rugger fields at my shite grammar school. What fun. Many a happy 'lesson' spent on these.
    Oh, the rugga. Oh yes. As a 5 foot whippet the games master(s) thought it most amusing to play me as a hooker. Thus, I was suspended about 3 feet off the ground with my arms hanging around the neck of two 6 foot boys.
    As an decidedly average, but couragous rugby back I was often picked as a last ditch choice for my house if I was unfortunate enough to be in the lower form when the season came around. I really wasn't very good and never got badly hurt despite trying to tackle some huge bigger boys, Hah. must have been my Welsh heritage. Strangely (or perhaps not in my case) I had the same rugby kit all through 5 years at this particular dump.
    All this brings back memories - although I think I changed my Rugger kit every year. I was also quite wiry as a schoolboy - I put on weight later. Despite all the adverse aspects of 'Rugga' I enjoyed it and was good enough to be chosen for House and eventually School teams. It probably did me good and was an outlet for my natural energy. Being a masochist I continued to play at university.

Comment

A
      Oh, the rugga. Oh yes.
      It always seemed to be raining when we did rugby in games and afterwards you did everything you could to avoid having a shower and ended the day covered in head to foot in mud and filth with your kit rammed as a soggy mass in your bag. How the hell my mother ever got it clean I really don't know. And the worst bit was having to clean those muddy boots, which of course you'd left in your bag from the week before and they'd be all wet and stunk like a polecat's ****. Again for some reason my boots we different from everybody elses. Oddly it may have been that I wore proper rugby boots rather than football boots.
      Actually I enjoyed the hot (often almost scaldingly hot) shower after a cold or wet 'Rugga' game and/or standing round listening to the games master. I enjoyed the camaraderie of the 'locker room' - a place for mucking about with team mates and playing endless practical jokes on each other. The match teas afterwards would consist of cups of weak tea and over-buttered toast.

Comment

There was no football allowed at my school, although almost any footwear was tolerated.
        Lastly, I recall we were never allowed to KICK the rugby ball. We never did conversions, even in house games. .
        Ironic in a way, given that Rugger started with a conversion, i.e. a chap at Rugby School picking up the ball and running instead of kicking.
        There was no football allowed at my school either I'm afraid.

Comment

Oh, the rugga.
          b) our rugby 'lessons' never involved a game as such just endless droning on about formations and wedges that seemed to obssess our games master(s).
          I also remember the constant 'droning on' about formations and wedges. One in particular who was ex-Navy seemed to take a particular delight in making us stand around in the cold as he talked ... and talked. ... and talked. Extremely flatulent himself, I recall that he told us that he didn't care if it was so cold that our farts would freeze in mid-air, we were damned well going to listen to him!

Comment

Ah yes the rugger fields at my shite grammar school.
            Oh, the rugga.
            As an decidedly average, but couragous rugby back I was often picked as a last ditch choice for my house if I was unfortunate enough to be in the lower form when the season came around. I really wasn't very good and never got badly hurt despite trying to tackle some huge bigger boys, Hah. must have been my Welsh heritage.
            My understanding is that in Wales the game always has to be called Rugby, never 'Rugger' (or 'Rugga'!). Exactly why, I am not sure.

Comment

Ideal school Rugger weather today. ...

Did any of you get any injuries when playing? I remember a number of minor instances although I once twisted my ankle so badly that I was 'off eccer' (school parlance for off games) for half a term. For some reason I was allowed to hobble along to CCF on Wednesday afternoon although I couldn't take part in the drill, etc., but no Rugga. I got a lot more work done that half term because I wasn't doing 'eccer' every afternoon.

Comment

Working...
              X