Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1977, queens jubilee

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
    . I didn't win. That was Elaine bloody Starns as a fairy princess...
    And you've never forgiven her
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Let it go ,Tony! Don't reopen old wounds

Comment

They did special navy blue phones too.
        One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

I was 9 at the time and we had a street party. Me and another lad had a skipping race and after being run 3 times (a draw each time) we both won a prize. I got a giant jubilee pencil.

My only other abiding memory is that my mum was a bit tipsy and i remember her at the window of a police transit talking to a policeman and wearing his cap.

It was my turn to get drunk for Charles and Di's wedding but that's another story.
          "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I was six and remember going to wimbledon high street with the school.We lined the street as the queen was doing a drive by(doesn't sound right makes her sound like a gangster lol).Anyway she didnt get out until the far end of the street.I remember crying because i didnt meet her(ahhhhh).Also had a street party in my nans road,seemed like the same day but surley it wasn't.

Comment

Someone bought me a Silver Jubilee t-shirt (I was 7). It said E:R in the middle, in large silver letters, with all the other Royal gumph around it. I quite liked our Queen, but I couldn't wait to get back into my Bionic Man t-shirt.

Comment

Much more was made of the '77 Silver jubilee than the Golden one in '02 - I remember the pullouts in all the comics ( can see Scared-Stiff Sam's mam waving a flag in a parade ), the logos on the Man U shirts at the Cup Final, the garden parties, etc.
                Ironic that punk with its 'God Save the Queen' and all that took off around then.

Comment

I remember the queens jubilee.me and a mate watched her pass along the main road of our town and we then went to a small party in the local youth club,then,later on in the afternoon,i went to my grandparents house and joined in the street festivities.Our street did not bother with a street party,just a cheap set up in the youth club.I am glad i went to my grandparents,as their street showed me what it was all about and how much fun street parties were with masses of food and drink.

Comment

We had a party in the play ground at primary school and we all had to wear red, white & blue clothes and it was a lovely sunny day. I remember sitting there eating jelly from a washed out margarine tub. We all got a big silver coin which is still at Mum's. We painted a huge wall picture of the queen that went up in the wall of my class room.

Comment

I remember a discussion i had with a kid at the time of the jubilee,just before the Queen came down the road in her big car.We were both punk at the time,and he wanted to do a couple of punky things like shout swear words and stick two fingers up as she passed.I flat out refused,simply because the whole community was out that day,genuinely enjoying themselves and sharing things,and i didn't want that national media made up anti queen punk junk in my head,ruining my communities fun day.My mate sulked off,and i had a great time watching the Queen pass,especially when i realized i was not one of the teenage,weak minded,Media Head kids,who said and did everything and anything a journalist told them to do.

Comment

We had a street party with most of us in fancy dress, i remember it being a scorching day.
                        Our local paperboy was dressed as a hula dancer, i remember everyone laughing for ages about it.

heres a pic of our street party, I'm peeping out from behind the soldier with my bow and arrow made from a garden cane and 2 peices of yellow hot wheels track.
                        Attached Files

Comment

That's a wonderful picture tony.I love the way everyone is dressed up and having an exciting fun time.

Comment

Our Street party '77

Comment

Those are great pictures Sixtyten,thanks for posting them.The party in our street was held inside a crumbling youth club,and there was no air of excitement at all,due to it being in the usual place we all went to anyway.There were no flags or any item with a union jack or image of the Queen on anywhere in the youth club and the street,whcih gave the street no Queen's Jubilee atmosphere at all.It turned out,the parents who organised it all in our street,did not want to spend their money giving the kids in the street a little party,so bullied the youth club into opening and supplying the drinks.A few of the parents had to make a sudden emergency rush of jam sandwiches etc to feed the infants.Anyone over the age of 8,was not allowed anything to eat,only watered down orange juice.
                              Luckily,in the afternoon,my mother took me to my grandparents house.I got there to discover a load of long tables in a line,and the whole place brimming with different types of food and drink.The place was full of plates and cups with the Queen on,and union jacks etc everywhere.It was just like the pictures you posted above Sixtyten.The wonderful thing about my grandparents street party,was that i knew most of the old people who were organising it,and felt safe and comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by moonvisage View Post
                                Those are great pictures Sixtyten,thanks for posting them.The party in our street was held inside a crumbling youth club,and there was no air of excitement at all,due to it being in the usual place we all went to anyway.There were no flags or any item with a union jack or image of the Queen on anywhere in the youth club and the street,whcih gave the street no Queen's Jubilee atmosphere at all.It turned out,the parents who organised it all in our street,did not want to spend their money giving the kids in the street a little party,so bullied the youth club into opening and supplying the drinks.A few of the parents had to make a sudden emergency rush of jam sandwiches etc to feed the infants.Anyone over the age of 8,was not allowed anything to eat,only watered down orange juice.
                                Luckily,in the afternoon,my mother took me to my grandparents house.I got there to discover a load of long tables in a line,and the whole place brimming with different types of food and drink.The place was full of plates and cups with the Queen on,and union jacks etc everywhere.It was just like the pictures you posted above Sixtyten.The wonderful thing about my grandparents street party,was that i knew most of the old people who were organising it,and felt safe and comfortable.
                                Good grief, thats almost communist!! Were they 'pc' then as well?

Comment

Working...
                                X