1977, queens jubilee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977, queens jubilee

not sure if this should be in the world events section but feel free to move it.
    what memories has everyone got of this?

the whole of our school got a large silver jubilee coin each,(which is somewhere at my folks house) , the day off school and street parties.
    basically the whole town stopped to eat in the street and play games....and i guess the adults had a drink or two.

back then the royal family was something to be really proud and patriotic about.....or was it just a case of GREAT...a day off school!!!

Re: 1977, queens jubilee

I'd have been 3 years old in the September of 77 but its one of my first memories, I remember all the flags on strings going from house to house,We had a garage and it was all set up with tables for a buffy with england plates,It must of been getting late, I remember hearing mum, saying "time the little ones were in bed",so I hid under a table,because I didn't want the party to end.
    My brothers school gave out mugs which mum still has.
    Shame the golden jubilee past by almost un-noticed!
    Last edited by Heather74; 27-02-2007, 10:59.
    Heather

Comment

I remember the Jubilee parties well
      Bands played on the back of flatbed trucks,Red,White & Blue bunting and flags everywhere.We also got a Jubilee coin,the day off,etc.
      I failed win a colouring/drawing contest,and the music went on well into the night.I also remember there was not a scrap of trouble.Can't see that happening today,but we can't wave flags anymore,Its not PC

I have some very sad old pics of a street party, I'll see if I can scan them at some point
      Last edited by sixtyten; 27-02-2007, 13:22.

Comment

also remember everyone walking round with plalstic bowler hats with union jacks on them.

Comment

And these were available..

Comment

"oh wow"
            Heather

Comment

Street party and a disco at the local army barracks for the kids. And I remeber the Jubilee ice lollies too.
              sigpic
              Mrs Oggy
              ~~~*~~~*~~~
              Count your friends amongst the stars....
              And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

Daz you got a tardis hidden somewhere so you can go back and get these retro pics?
                sigpic
                Mrs Oggy
                ~~~*~~~*~~~
                Count your friends amongst the stars....
                And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

I ve just been on ebay to see how much my mums mug is worth, they are all still more or less selling for..... wait for it........the starting price of 99p, Dont worry I'll remember you all when we are rich!!!:cry:
                  Last edited by Heather74; 28-02-2007, 20:39.
                  Heather

Comment

Originally posted by Cal View Post
                    not sure if this should be in the world events section but feel free to move it.
                    what memories has everyone got of this?

the whole of our school got a large silver jubilee coin each,(which is somewhere at my folks house) , the day off school and street parties.
                    basically the whole town stopped to eat in the street and play games....and i guess the adults had a drink or two.

back then the royal family was something to be really proud and patriotic about.....or was it just a case of GREAT...a day off school!!!
                    I remember getting a jubilee crown.. still got mine. I remember having to perform a gymnastic display at the great yorkshire show in jubilee year - in front of the Queen and Prince Philip.. I was doing a headstand and he tickled my toes so I walloped my gym partner 'cos I thought I was him and Prince Philip laughed...ahhh memories
                    ....don't take life so seriously...or you'll never get out alive....

Comment

Originally posted by deejayk2 View Post
                      I remember getting a jubilee crown.. still got mine. I remember having to perform a gymnastic display at the great yorkshire show in jubilee year - in front of the Queen and Prince Philip.. I was doing a headstand and he tickled my toes so I walloped my gym partner 'cos I thought I was him and Prince Philip laughed...ahhh memories
                      ..soz getting tired, meant to say "cos I thought IT was him.."
                      ....don't take life so seriously...or you'll never get out alive....

Comment

I don't remember a lot about it coz i was only born in the august. I'm told we had a massive street party and there flags up everywhere. Have photies of me brother and his class at school having a party out in the playground.
                        "Raggy dolls, Raggy Dolls, dolls like you and me" "Raggy Dolls, Raggy Dolls, made imperfectly"

Comment

We had a street party, a photo of our fancy dress competition is below, see if you can guess which one is me

I remember we also got the afternoon off school so we could go to the market place to see the Queen on the balcony of the Town Hall.

Also remember getting the special issue coin that came out and a china cup. my mother has kept them for me.
                          Last edited by HG; 17-10-2007, 13:25.
                          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I reckon your the lollipop man mike
                            Heather

Comment

Too good Heather
                              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Working...