Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radio comedy shows

Default Re: Radio comedy shows

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I've heard about this series but have never had the chance to hear it.

There were 2 TV versions with different casts & renamed characters. Walking The Planks, a pilot made by the BBC, & High & Dry by Yorkshire Television for ITV.

It Sticks Out Half A Mile turns up on Radio 4 Extra from time to time.

I am not sure if I have seen the pilot and full TV series; it doesn't ring any bells.

Morcombe and Wise made a radio comedy series for the BBC around 1976.

Richard Briers starred in a number of 'Doctor' radio series from the late 60s. I think there were 2: Doctor in the House and Doctor at Large.

Another series which ran for many years and which was extremely popular was The Clitheroe Kid, starring Jimmy Clitheroe. It ran from 1957 to 1972. I remember listening to the later episodes on our old transistor radio.

The Navy Lark - I have only heard on ep of it but it made me chuckle as a yoof
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

The Mary Whitehouse Experience on Radio 1 was quite amusing.

I remember The Clitheroe Kid from listening to episodes in the late 60s/early 70s. Jimmy's sister had such a refined accent compared to the rest of her family and dozy boyfriend, and it was the interplay between he and Jimmy that I looked forward to most.

The Navy Lark and Men from the Ministry were both great series. Wilfred Hyde-White starred in the earlier series of Men but I don't remember them.

Adrian Juste presented a Saturday lunchtime show for many years in the 80s, where he would play records interspersed with clips from BBC series like Hancock.

Steptoe and Son ran on the radio, but I believe the stories were just adaptations from the TV series.

In the 70s, Tony Brandon starred in a Saturday lunchtime sitcom that I would listen to every week. I can't remember it too well now, but I think there was a foreign nanny in the household.

The very un-PC Hello Cheeky with John Junkin, Tim Brooke-Taylor and Barry Cryer did skits and sketches. I remember listening to it in the mid-70s.

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    Adrian Juste presented a Saturday lunchtime show for many years in the 80s, where he would play records interspersed with clips from BBC series like Hancock.
    I remember him laughing in a forced sort of way after the sketches!

Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post
    I remember him laughing in a forced sort of way after the sketches!

Yes, and he would pretend to have conversations with Hancock or whomever it was, responding to the lines from the clips.

All Gas and Gaiters was a clerical sitcom that I think transferred to TV.

The wonderful Round the Horne ended in 1968 with Kenneth Horne's death, and I was too young to listen to it, but thanks to repeats on 4 Extra I have heard all the episodes several times over. Very risque for the time with classic characters like Rambling Sid Rumpo, and Julian and Sandy.

I liked anything Peter Cook did on radio, especially his Sven Of Swiss Cottage call-ins.

Did anyone listen to I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again? I know there was at least one LP record from it. It was followed by I'm Sorry I haven't A Clue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Sorry,_I%27ll_Read_That_Again
    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles