Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio comedy shows

Default Radio comedy shows

I couldn't see a subforum for radio, so I'll just pop a thread here.

I wonder if anyone remembers these radio comedies I used to listen to sometimes (or my parents did):

Radio Active
    The Grumbleweeds
    Bernie Clifton's Comedy Shop
    Weekending (This had the intro to "Party Fears Two" by the Associates as its theme tune.)

There was a sketch show whose name I've forgotten. It was on Radio 4, and it had Nick Revell and Any Hamilton. Any ideas?

Default Re: Radio comedy shows

Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post
    I couldn't see a subforum for radio, so I'll just pop a thread here.

I wonder if anyone remembers these radio comedies I used to listen to sometimes (or my parents did):

Radio Active
    The Grumbleweeds
    Bernie Clifton's Comedy Shop
    Weekending (This had the intro to "Party Fears Two" by the Associates as its theme tune.)

There was a sketch show whose name I've forgotten. It was on Radio 4, and it had Nick Revell and Any Hamilton. Any ideas?

I think it was The Million Pound Radio Show.

I remember the ones on your list. Some get repeated on BBC Radio 4 Extra from time to time.

I used to like The News Huddlines, with Roy Hudd, which ran on Radio 2 for many years. Going back further, Round the Horne with its brilliant double entendres and innuendo, quite daring for its day, particularly Julian and Sandy.

Also I loved I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, especially when Humphrey Lyttleton was chairman. Tim Brooke-Taylor, Barry Cryer, Graham Garden and the late Willie Rushton were the best panel imo .

There was ITMA (It's That Man Again) my Grandad liked

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

The News Huddlines is one show that comes to mind - Roy Hudd and June Whitfield doing so many characters.

Did Weekending have an audience laughter track on it? I don't remember one.

Would Just a Minute count as a comedy show? I know that the panel made people laugh, so I assume that it was.

A lot of the shows on at 6.30 pm "just after the Six O'clock News" slot on Radio 4 are radio comedy shows - I remember one from the mid to late 1990s called First Impressions - Steve Nallion was always Margaret Thatcher on it, and Kate Robbins always did the Queen. And Bobby Davro even did Johnny Mathis one week. True.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    I think it was The Million Pound Radio Show.
    That's it! Thanks!

I suppose that Just a Minute is a worthy mention as it has reached its 50th anniversary. I love the "repetition" ones - I remember someone using Lulu's name when talking about something, and someone buzzed in and said "repetition of the word Lu".
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

A couple of long-running shows that stretched into the 70s were The Navy Lark and The Men from the Ministry.

It Sticks Out Half A Mile was a spin-off from Dad's Army with Bill Pertwee and Ian Lavender renovating a pier and seta couple of years after the war. John Le Mesurier also starred. Arthur Lowe was in the pilot but passed away prior to the full series.

A couple of long-running shows that stretched into the 70s were The Navy Lark and The Men from the Ministry.

It Sticks Out Half A Mile was a spin-off from Dad's Army with Bill Pertwee and Ian Lavender renovating a pier and seta couple of years after the war. John Le Mesurier also starred. Arthur Lowe was in the pilot but passed away prior to the full series.
    And "The Navy Lark" featured Jon Pertwee, some kind of cousin of Bill, I gather.

I've heard about this series but have never had the chance to hear it.

There were 2 TV versions with different casts & renamed characters. Walking The Planks, a pilot made by the BBC, & High & Dry by Yorkshire Television for ITV.
    The Trickster On The Roof