Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partworks (Orbis) The Unexplained

Default Partworks (Orbis) The Unexplained

Has anybody come across this Partworks series from the 1980's? It was originally published by Orbis in single magazine format between 1980 and 1983 and ran for 157 issues.
    There seem to have been a number of reprints throughout the 1980s and 1990s both by Orbis and by other publishing companies. The reprints varied in format from multiple-volumed editions to heavily- edited single compilation encyclopedias.

I'm wondering if there is anybody who knows a bit about this series and has compiled a list of the various reprints, updates and formats of this material? I'd be keen to track some of it down (in addition to the original 157 magazines)

I know that the original magazines are still available to buy online but I'm wondering if there is are digital copies of the series for sale somewhere. I'm sure that there must be an avid collector somewhere that has scanned the material and created a digital archive.
    Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as Gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

Default Re: Partworks (Orbis) The Unexplained

I use to collect The Unexplained in 1980. I think it was a weekly issue. I collected them for about one and a half years. Classics I recall is the pictures of fairies.
    There is a 10 minute Witness episode on bb4 radio 4 called The fairy photos, about apparent pictures taken of fairies in 1917. It has now been explained, but I will not reveal it till next week, as you may want to listen to the podcast.

Another issue was about Nitinol. A futuristic metal that will have a memory.
    Now there is a shape memory alloy Nitinol.

Unlikely that they would become Ebooks.

I have the complete original collection in the attic, published in 1980; some nice articles in them and mostly in full colour too. Here's some pics.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1389.jpg   DSCN1390.jpg   DSCN1393.jpg  

Very nice. Beautiful pictures. You have the binders also. I'm hoping to buy a full set myself down the line (I've seen them advertised here and there) With so many ppl scanning their various collections of comic books, magazine sets etc and selling the digital sets online I'm hoping that someone out there will have scanned this set.
    Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as Gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

I only bought a few of the collected volumes that Orbis put out in the mid 80s. Creatures from Elsewhere was one with articles on Bigfoot, lake monsters, giant birds etc.

Didn't The Unexplained include a flexidisc with one issue of EVPs?

I'm pretty sure the original 157 single magazine set had 13 binders. (like the one pictured) This is the set I am most interested in.

I think Orbis did a later (bound) 26 volume-book edition. I'm not sure if the articles were edited/updated.

There is another 1992 edition which possibly has less books in the series (these had about 400 pages in each volume and were hardback books)

I know at least another two single Encyclopedia one-off books also which seem to be a 'Best of' collection.

I believe there was an attempt to reissue or re-launch in 1991 which only lasted for a single issue. I found my copy just recently - I'm assuming it's the same publication. It's this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003Y79J3U

Quote Originally Posted by Fearmint View Post
    I believe there was an attempt to reissue or re-launch in 1991 which only lasted for a single issue. I found my copy just recently - I'm assuming it's the same publication. It's this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003Y79J3U
    I didn't know about this one. How interesting. And only one issue! I wonder if any of the newer editions did updates etc.

Well, I did a bit of googling after I posted that and I saw an old ended ebay page with the first five issues in this set, so clearly there were more produced. I tried to find them back when I got the first issue (free with my grandparent's newspaper, if I recall - either News of the World or the Sun) but never could so I assumed it was a trial run that was not deemed a success. I wonder how many did come out...

I bought the 1991 re-issue - there were over 100....I still have them in the attic