Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Football Teams that should and should'nt of got into Division 3 (old)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football Teams that should and should'nt of got into Division 3 (old)

I first recall Middlesbrough going down in 1985/86 from the old 2nd Division (20 years after their first adventure there), then by 1987/88 Sunderland had achieved their first ever spell in Division 3 going the opposite way. Huddersfied by 1988 had gone down agaian and it took them the best part of a decade to return to Division 2 and if I am being honest "yeah they had an amazing chance of going straight through to the Premier in 1995/1996 and 199/200 but I never thought ....... ever, ever they'd have the chance again last Season (and achieve it too)

A memory I recall vividlly was quite a warm May in 1990 and Middlesbrough nearly doing "the near impossible" as they went uup 1986/87 to Division 2 .... then in 1987/88 to Division 1 - then they almost completed the "return trip" in 1990 and needed to beat Newcastle on the last day to stand any chance at all of staying up 9and won 4-1 to boot)!! I doubt such a trip (or near completition of a trip has ever been made - at least in the top 3 Divisions (if any), but if there hgas I'd love to learn of it, if anyone can offer it!

Back to Division 3 we had Birmingham and West Brom there for the first times ever in 1989 and 1991 respectivly and they even shared a Season there I believe!! Probably one of the best memories I have of (is Season 1990-91) and Darlington, Hartlepool, Toiruay and Stockport (all habitual strugglers for re-election being promoted in one fell-swoop). I am sure Richard may recall those Seasons as Stockport had some amaziung times until 1997 in the old 3rd - sharing a leaugle like Darlington did (and as they did twice previously with Middlesbrough) with the likes West Brom's and Birmingham's did!1

Then of course Birmingham went back for a Season in 1994/1995 and then Oldham (the divisions longest residents there) of 21 years (in whatever name you want to call it0 are still there and until 1995/96 Oldham was a decent (abliet struggling Premiership Team) and then Man City joined in for a Season in 1998/99 - which I can recall like yesterday as I bought their horrid 2 tonned (can not recall if it was an acurate Green though) but it had Lime Green Stripes on it for certain, as I recall buying the rancid creation on holiday on a day trip from Torquay to Brixham in '99 - then West Brom nearly went back in 1999/2000 I recall and had a colsall Midlands Tussell to end the Season with Walsall trying to stay in what is now the Championship!!

I think par Wolves and Derby in the earlier 90s this covers most big teams and ones that surepassed expectations - as most others now would be classed out of the 90s, but there has to be honourable mentions to the likes of Leeds, Leicester,Norwich and Coventry (all major Prem playters and Coventry being constantly in the top flight from 1967 to 2001), but I guess as well like how far Coventry have sunk - my point too is look at Darlington, Hartlepool (struggling for their very existance to avoid administration these days) and stockport plus Torquay and see how far all have sunk!!!

Though a few have made short stays last par the 90s like Cheltenham and Yeovil and Wycombe comprising quite a lengthy spell there from 1994 to the early-nearly mid noughties - not many others have (and I doubt we'll ever see those days again sadly) like with most things sorrowfully.

80sChav

Re: Football Teams that should and should'nt of got into Division 3 (old)

While I'm not massively into Stockport County, I remember they a division above Manchester City for a season, which seems crazy now.

Plenty of teams have gone from the first to 4th tier (or the reverse!) in a short time, Wimbledon managed it within a decade of being a league club.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      While I'm not massively into Stockport County, I remember they a division above Manchester City for a season, which seems crazy now.

Plenty of teams have gone from the first to 4th tier (or the reverse!) in a short time, Wimbledon managed it within a decade of being a league club.
      True Richard - Wimbledon had 2 seasons in Division 2, but Northampton, Bristol City and Wolves went straight down through every Division back to the 4th, and I think Swansea too, and though it was 2007 Luton went down 3 Leauges right through to the Confrence (though if their 30 point deduction had not happened) they'd of been an average 4th tier Team!

As you say about Stockport, while they was in the Championship and Man City went down to Leauge 1 - Bury also had a few good years above City at that time too, I recall!

Comment

Bolton, Fulham, Notts County & Sheffield United have managed to be in all 4 tiers in a slightly longer timescale.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Swansea Ciy went up to the old First Division in the 80s then back down to Div 4 IIRC. Of course, look at the now! Bottom of the Prem but at least they are there!
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Sunderland are there again for the 2nd time - which I never ever, ever thought I'd live to see again, but now if Birmingham loose 12 points due to FFP, and Portsmouth and Sunderland don't go up this Season as don't Charlton and Ipswich and Reading join Birmingam possibly going down) thois woyuld be pure amazing to see the calibre of these ex- established Prem Clubs(over the last 20 to 25 years they played in the Prem) being stuck there all-together at one point! Add Bolton into the mix too as they have way equal interest and concerns as a top flight team which the share with others I have mentioned!

N3ever can this have happened before, but I do recall a similar occurance in the Scotish Championship (ex Scotish 2nd Division) with Hearts, Hibs and Rangers all being in it in the same Season - but that is nothing compared to this potiential scenario I feel!

If this did happen though (I don't know how many others recall it but there was a scenario in about 2009, there was more Southern Clubs in the 1st Division than Northern and the same in Division 2, as was similar in about 2003 I think in Division 2 (though not 1/ oir whatever D1 was then)!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
            X