Peter Wyngarde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Wyngarde

He seemed to have appeared in every '60s or '70s show once, except maybe Rising Damp or The Liver Birds (just lookalikes)... now he's gone I wondered if anyone has any fond memories?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...artment-s-dies

I remember him in The Prisoner, The Champions, The Avengers, and a later Doctor Who. The strangest place he ever turned up though might be as a villainous character in Marvel comics' X-Men: Jason Wyngarde! He corrupts the Phoenix superheroine who become Dark Phoenix, eats an inhabited planet's sun, is put on trial in outer space for it and commits suicide.

My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Re: Peter Wyngarde

Attached Files

Comment

There was a poll of ladies at the height of Wyngarde's popularity in the late 60s/early 70s that voted him as the man they would like to have been their first lover.

In my first year of secondary school--1973-74--we were taken into the dining room to watch a schools programme as the TV was kept there and prior to it starting an episode of Jason King was being shown. I don't know why that seemingly trivial incident has stuck in my memory for 40+ years.

Comment

I remember Wyngarde as Klytus in Flash Gordon, which stuck in my mind as a 9 year old on account of the bizarre death the character suffered: flung on to a floor of spikes (by Timothy Dalton, no less) which prompted his eyes and tongue to crawl out of his face for some reason.

In fact, Flash Gordon was notable for the grotesque deaths some of the characters had to endure: General 'Vot do you mean, Flash Gorten apprrrroachink?' Kala disintegrating into a puddle of steaming squid ink and Peter Duncan oozing green blood after being stung to death by some sort of scorpion/bladder thing in a tree stump.

Comment

I seem to mostly remember Brian Blessed with wings and leather gear from that Flash Gordon film. Not sure what that says about me.
          My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

And what WERE those strange cigarettes Jason King smoked ? Anyone know ?

Comment

He was so popular, he was allowed to release records!

Attached Files
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Quite a few celebrities released singles in the 1960-70s, I found a website a while back of someone who collected them.

I can't remember the brand but I think Jason King smoked French Cocktail cigarettes, with coloured paper.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  Quite a few celebrities released singles in the 1960-70s, I found a website a while back of someone who collected them.

I can't remember the brand but I think Jason King smoked French Cocktail cigarettes, with coloured paper.
                  may of been "more" cigarettes
                  Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Wasn't it Sobranie Cocktail cigarettes which had the coloured paper? I think More cigarettes had brown paper.

I can never think "Peter Wyngarde" without following it with "... smells ... (long pause) ... great!" because of his Tabac aftershave adverts.

Comment

Do you have the link, please?

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                        Do you have the link, please?
                        Sorry I had a look recently & it wasn't online, I guess they had copyright trouble!

http://lordofthebootsale.blogspot.com/
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Sorry I had a look recently & it wasn't online, I guess they had copyright trouble!

http://lordofthebootsale.blogspot.com/
                          Ah, I have that one - thanks anyway!

Comment

Even worse than the abominable seventies fashions in Jason King was Wyngarde's mexican bandit moustache and his permed hair.
                            One thing Wyngarde was in that no one has mentioned was as Peter Quint in the gothic pscho chiller The Innocents.

Comment

Working...
                            X