Honorary Aunts & Uncles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honorary Aunts & Uncles

As a kid any of your parents friends & neighbours, us kids addressed them as aunt or uncle so & so

One particular neighbour called Jean; I had a crush on. She probably was not aware of this fact as I was only eight, after all

Her son was a best friend of mine & I remember calling round thinking I wish she was my mum

Of course I didn't want her as a mum; more likely as a girlfriend
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Honorary Aunts & Uncles

We also called all our close Neighbours Aunty and Uncle, we would be in and out of each others houses and we hosted a garden party for the silver jubilee.
    The neighbours who were the other half of our semi-detached My Aunty Nelly and Uncle Bert were also my god parents.
    Heather

Comment

It didn't feel right calling someone uncle or auntie unless they were rightfully related to you. I suppose that we have "agony aunts" and all that, so in it does extend to that in many ways.

I used to think in a literal way that Emily Bishop was Deirdre Barlow's sister in Coronation Street because of the way that Deirdre referred to "Auntie Emily next door" to Tracy.

And of course there was George Layton's book The Fib where the protagonist proclaimed that his uncle is Bobby Charlton as well.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Just like a Mum would refer to her kid her husband as Dad
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Working...
        X