Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advent Internet

Default Re: Advent Internet

Text started off with pagers, which you could send messages with but not phone calls. Once mobile phones started to be able to handles texts pagers became obsolete, & never really caught on in the UK as much as the USA.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Back in the 90s when I was on-call for the ISP I worked at we had mobile phones and pagers, we'd get paged for a fault then had to call in to action it.

For some reason myself and a mate (both were on call) were playing darts in my local dodgy pub when some guy came up and asked us if we were "coppers", i'm guessing due to the equipment. Most odd.

Luckier than my bro though, when he was on call for the Stock Exchange in the 80s his mobile phone was a big briefcase thing that he had to lug around, even to clubs. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletino View Post
    Back in the 90s when I was on-call for the ISP I worked at we had mobile phones and pagers, we'd get paged for a fault then had to call in to action it.

For some reason myself and a mate (both were on call) were playing darts in my local dodgy pub when some guy came up and asked us if we were "coppers", i'm guessing due to the equipment. Most odd.

Luckier than my bro though, when he was on call for the Stock Exchange in the 80s his mobile phone was a big briefcase thing that he had to lug around, even to clubs. XD
    I recall these old Mobile Phones Mullentino indeed! A fair few Comedies - most notably Joey on Bread and Only fools and Horses, made them popular (though of course they were way out of the "Working Man's Leauge" price-wise that time the one Del sold to Mike disrupted his Telly in the Pub and the Ariel cut him

I recall useing as recently as 1995/96 if not later an old BT Cellnet one - which was built like a brick .... and to think I sold many at a pittance (and now they'd be Museum Pieces) if I had known the future!!

80sChav

I still have my first mobile phone from the mid90s in its box.

It's one of these:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    Text started off with pagers, which you could send messages with but not phone calls. Once mobile phones started to be able to handles texts pagers became obsolete, & never really caught on in the UK as much as the USA.
    A third of all pagers in the world are used by the NHS. That's one organisation in one country.

Quote Originally Posted by Arran View Post
    A third of all pagers in the world are used by the NHS. That's one organisation in one country.
    That's interesting to know, I don't remember many people who had them except for their job.

My Dad had one from work before graduating to a mobile phone, & the Dad of one of my school friends was a plumber who had one for his job. This one had an early voicemail system where customers could leave messages & his Dad would be alerted, but needed a landline to get the message still.
    The Trickster On The Roof

There were 'wrist watch' style pagers

Pretty c*** they were

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

I used to work for a radio-paging company...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mercurypaging.jpg  
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

I work in the NHS now and I've never seen a pager. Most staff use DECT phones.
    1976 Vintage

I hope it is ok to post a link - sorry in advance if it is'nt, but I found this beauty that I am in awe of (which takes something as so for me lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szdbKz5CyhA

80sChav