Pike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pike

The character Pike starred on Dads Army as the youngest of the old buggers; in fact too young I am sure in reality would not be a member of the Home Guard
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Pike

One of the German's asked Pike what his name was

Mannering's reply?

"Don't tell him Pike"

You could see the German guy trying to hide a smile lol
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
      The character Pike starred on Dads Army as the youngest of the old buggers; in fact too young I am sure in reality would not be a member of the Home Guard

The Home Guard was open for men between 17 and 65. I can't remember Pike's age being stated but he was probably at least 18 in the series. Assuming he wasn't in a reserved occupation, which being a bank clerk he probably wasn't, Pike would have been liable for call up to the regular forces. Perhaps he had a deferment due to family or other circumstances, which would have left him still eligible to join the Home Guard. Mainwaring, according to my memory, doesn't get at Pike to voluntarily join the regular forces, which makes me think he had some kind of deferment as envisaged by the writers.

Comment

There was one episode where Pike's call-up papers arrive and the platoon treat him to a night out and slap-up meal. The punchline was that he had failed the army medical (can't recall why - asthma or flat feet or something), but hadn't told the platoon, so as not to miss out on the meal.
        I assume the script writers got the plot right that young men, who were medically unfit for the regular forces, could still serve in the Home Guard or as wardens.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
          There was one episode where Pike's call-up papers arrive and the platoon treat him to a night out and slap-up meal. The punchline was that he had failed the army medical (can't recall why - asthma or flat feet or something), but hadn't told the platoon, so as not to miss out on the meal.
          I assume the script writers got the plot right that young men, who were medically unfit for the regular forces, could still serve in the Home Guard or as wardens.

Medical requirements were more relaxed for the Home Guard than for the regular forces, so if Pike had flat feet, asthma (so long as it wasn't too severe), he would still have been welcomed into the organisation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
            ... The punchline was that he had failed the army medical (can't recall why - asthma or flat feet or something), ...
            He had a rare blood group.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare View Post
              He had a rare blood group.
              Well remembered! I can picture Mainwaring now calling him a "stupid boy" at the end of the episode.

Comment

There was an episode when there was some kind of inspection by a senior officer and the Warmington-on-Sea platoon had to make up Godfrey and Jones to make them younger, including hair colour, rouge etc. The upper limit was 65, but perhaps local commanders turned a blind eye to those older than that on occasions. I don't know if Godfrey's and Jones' ages were ever mentioned--perhaps in that episode but I can't remember. Jones served with Kitchener in the Sudan c.1898, 42 years prior to the formation of the Home Guard, so he must have been pushing 65 at least, and surely Godfrey was supposed to be older than Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                  There was an episode when there was some kind of inspection by a senior officer and the Warmington-on-Sea platoon had to make up Godfrey and Jones to make them younger, including hair colour, rouge etc. The upper limit was 65, but perhaps local commanders turned a blind eye to those older than that on occasions. I don't know if Godfrey's and Jones' ages were ever mentioned--perhaps in that episode but I can't remember. Jones served with Kitchener in the Sudan c.1898, 42 years prior to the formation of the Home Guard, so he must have been pushing 65 at least, and surely Godfrey was supposed to be older than Jones.
                  I remember that episode, Capt. Mainwaring wore a wig that kept getting stuck in is hat & Hodges dyed his hair white to look older.

The older Home Guards were going to be transferred into the ARP, & the younger ARP Wardens would be swapped for them.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                  X