X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Nerds/Geeks

Virtually every school has their nerds/geeks, our school being no exception
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: School Nerds/Geeks

Great thread idea here, that you have had Twocky!! My School's certainly had one or 2 - I had one friend, he was'nt geeky etc but like borderd on it and you could tell life was a breeze (and not as he was the kind of guy to repeat lines/phrases from TV/Fiilms etc, etc - you could tell his insticts/how he re-acted as he borderd on it often

At my first Secondary - I knew 2 guys - one who moved up from the Midlands and I feel terrible even now for mocking his accent (as we was all well rough and common guys). Then I knew another guy there - I'll call him Paul for argumnent's sake (in-case he ever looked in on here, as his name was not commn then for a guy), and he always said (though he was a year or so younger than me) to my relatives "does so and so want to play in the park etc", but invarably I said no but feel guilty on that too - as I am sure these day's through mutual friends, that he was the nicest guy you could wish to meet - but it was just how he said it that put me off (as though I dunno if he was a Computer games lad etc) he just talked so correct and proper that it seemed like nothing interested him re playing out of doors and the like

80sChav

Comment

When I was at school they were called "boffins" or "boffs". There was a group of them that weere all friends at my school, about 5 of them. They were very clever and wore blazers or had briefcases (think Will from The Inbetweeners) even though these were not required school attire.

I was interested in doing Computer Studies at school, I was in more advanced Maths classes to my mates, so I didn't want to feel even more nerdy than them by also doing Computer Studies with the boffs. Wish i'd just done what I wanted now instead of feeling like I needed to make a point.

Comment

When I was in school the geek population was divided into three distinct groups: The Maths/Science Geeks, History Geeks and Music Geeks (they were the school marching band). The history geeks also tended to be the Dungeons & Dragons crowd.

Comment

Way back mid 70's I claim to fame as the nerd/geek

Well before the advent of the internet I was a whizz on the BBC 128's, Dragon 32's, Commodore's etc etc

There was no programme I could not write

I loved to personalise computer games to a particular person for them to play
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
            When I was at school they were called "boffins" or "boffs". There was a group of them that weere all friends at my school, about 5 of them. They were very clever and wore blazers or had briefcases (think Will from The Inbetweeners) even though these were not required school attire.

I was interested in doing Computer Studies at school, I was in more advanced Maths classes to my mates, so I didn't want to feel even more nerdy than them by also doing Computer Studies with the boffs. Wish i'd just done what I wanted now instead of feeling like I needed to make a point.
            We had those kind too Mullentino - I recall first day in 1st Year (my best friend or 2 - far from them being Geeks/Nerds) said to me "why you not wearing a/the Jumper" (and it was'nt regulation in had to be worn, as it was by choice), but I'd mnade a choice to wear one totally set out on the days I wanted to at High School - being the experience you only havee once - and no-one would stop me

I would not say I have OCD, - but parts/traits may-be and ever since those day's my choices (School or not - was "go my own way" as Fleetwood Mac would say in "Go Your Own Way". I guess this earned my Geek Status (again not as I was either) but I was a terrific BookWorm back then (and still am) and also a lover of Conventionaly practical subjects (which a few best Friends struggled to understand/get their Head around by saying - why use choosen Coolkery/H.E).

Admitted I am rubbish at setting the Oven - even now and need a tad bit of help, but I have always loved Cookery and Catering when I have the chance/option (which I guess I inherited from late Gran and Great Aunt) where the Baking is allmost as good as theirs was

I agree with you about Computers and Studying of it - our's was rubbish in relation to what we got taught - i learned more about the Art/Graphic and lesser so CAD from a sort of friend. Fair play to you mate for admitting about wishing you'd done what you wanted - as these days - even 30 years on from my first experienc of a Computer (par a game plugged into the TV) I would still never consider them nerdy/geeky etc - regardless of the role they play in life these days!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
              WFair play to you mate for admitting about wishing you'd done what you wanted - as these days - even 30 years on from my first experienc of a Computer (par a game plugged into the TV) I would still never consider them nerdy/geeky etc - regardless of the role they play in life these days!
              Aye, back then, those of us that were interested in computers were called geeks and nerds, yet many years later with the advent of the internet, a much broader spectrum of people got into using computers, nowadays everyone does in some respects, but now it's those of us that work in IT that are still considered the geeks/nerds/spods.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                Aye, back then, those of us that were interested in computers were called geeks and nerds, yet many years later with the advent of the internet, a much broader spectrum of people got into using computers, nowadays everyone does in some respects, but now it's those of us that work in IT that are still considered the geeks/nerds/spods.
                Highly true indeed Mullentino!!, who'd ever hgave thought otherwise indeed yeah mate!!

Talking about Geeks/Nerds though - what do you think about hardly any of them had their ties with just the thin part out - like Me and You plus Daz on here!!? If any did they had them well, well long length-wise (and even then doing them thin was the preserve of the Popular Guys) mainly at main and the Wannabees a bitv lol

80sChav

Comment

I do think that a lot of kids worry about themselves being the nerd or geek - the fact that one is supposed to be the same as one's peer group, wear the same uniform, attend the same classes, etc. Or be ahead or behind with one's peer group.

I was the only one who wore glasses from Years 1 to 6, so cue a lot of "odd one out" speculation there. I know that my social difficulties so many years later had stemmed from school days, and the fact that I knew that I was different back then, but didn't know why I was. I bet that Roy Cropper in Coronation Street was one as a child.
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                    I do think that a lot of kids worry about themselves being the nerd or geek - the fact that one is supposed to be the same as one's peer group, wear the same uniform, attend the same classes, etc. Or be ahead or behind with one's peer group.

I was the only one who wore glasses from Years 1 to 6, so cue a lot of "odd one out" speculation there. I know that my social difficulties so many years later had stemmed from school days, and the fact that I knew that I was different back then, but didn't know why I was. I bet that Roy Cropper in Coronation Street was one as a child.
                    Same for me, George - I experienced all this how you describe/mention and wore Glasses at times too

You are right about Roy Cropper I think - but it is far, far from anything to be ashamed to be as so I think

80sChav

Comment

The other problem is that the school nerd and geek stereotype seems to be associated with Asperger Syndrome as well. However, I do have the condition myself, and I make no embarrassment in saying so on here.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Four or five kids from my grade in school all got the red measels one year, we all ended up needing glasses from that point on, so maybe we were a bit different. I think I got called 'four eyes' once in my entire childhood. My actual big difference there was I had light sensitive eyes and they gave me glasses that became tinted outdoors, so sometimes a kid, usually from a different year would say something to me about my thinking I was cool or something, but it was just a dumb comment that didn't mean anything. My second pair of glasses weren't tinted. I was really lucky in that I never saw any real bullying until a lot later on in school and then it was the rich kids from another area harassing us not so rich kids about clothing brands. I think most of us from my lower-middle-class area just thought it was stupid but these gangs from the other area would keep at it. There were some from an even poorer area and maybe they got to them more. I ended up switching to the poor/bad area school later that some of the poor kids didn't want to go to. It had a bad reputation buit was I think a better school (a computer class circa 1981-82 was pretty rare, and I didn't have a same-sex gym teacher grabbing at me like at the supposed better school,. ugh).

I had a boy friend though who had gotten crossed up somehow with a real bad-**** guy who really harassed him for about a year. He would come up behind him and hit him in the head in front of everyone. He would stand up for me sometimes when I didn't see any need for it so I guess looking back he was overly aware of stuff. Maybe I was picked on like anyone and didn't think much of it and without a reaction from me things never really got going? I did know girls who would really rip into each other, cry and get suicidal and physically fight. I figure I had lower hormone levels. My friend dropped out of school and moved to another city after awhile and we lost contact. :cry:

Roy Cropper would've been the kind of kid I expect I would have been playing square ball and red light green light with at recess. Sometimes there were marbles games or living statues. I was usually in with the misfits looking back (sometimes I'd just want to be alone) but didn't really think in those terms at the time. Some boys and some girls, but the 'in' crowd of girls was going on about pinup photos or who was in and out, and the 'cool' boys played football constantly.
                        My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                          The other problem is that the school nerd and geek stereotype seems to be associated with Asperger Syndrome as well. However, I do have the condition myself, and I make no embarrassment in saying so on here.
                          I have heard this what you say George, but I am unsure to what extent out of 100% I'd place this at

A few I knew - like my "Michael Jackson Moon-walking Friend" (we called him that because he was literally the best dancer in doing the Moon-walk there was and that any of us had ever seen performed amongst ourselves, he never had Aspergers Syndrome to my knowledge - he was just brainy in other departments - more than others (which by a strange qurck of fate) isa n argument I am trying to convince others about on another Forum I go on - that you can excela t Maths but be poor at every subject going (and that the Maths, english or whatever - makes up for all the others you are no good at)

My other friend - probably he was equal to the Moon-0walking guy as far as friends go - was a Computer Whizz Kid (as was another guy I met at College 3/4 years later), though I think it'd be fairer to term the 2nd guy more Computer-knowledgeable - but the first guy runs his own Window Company - which I find that is quite unusual in that a person can be Hands on in Practical Work and stuff like Computers - especially running his own Company as so - so I dunno if I'd term him a Geek/Nerd or not after all this is "said and done", but sure it is an interesting call thinking back and even thinking now.

I mean in 12992 - I never had my own PC and he showed my how to Art/Graphics one Lunchtime at the Coimputer Club and my gut instincts I recall like yesterday is "what is this guy on with here", but as I say I would hardly call him a geek /nerd or like my other friend say he had/has Aspergers Syndrome

80sChav

Comment

I had access to school computers around that time, but I would say that it didn't make me anymore of a nerd than anyone else.

There was a book written by Luke Jackson when he was around 13 years old called "Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome" that I managed to pick up at a Waterstones back in around 2003. Jackson also had Asperger Syndrome as well, and he talks in the book about the difficulties he has with the condition and he talks about relationships, schooling and things like that - I think that he is in his late 20s these days. There was a documentary about his family seen on BBC Two around the same time as well.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I can't actually remember nerds or geeks at my school. We didn't use the those terms, and I really can't remember anybody who was properly into computers or books etc. Of course it was before computers really, and maybe people had geeky interests secretly. The closest was the swats and squares, me being one of them! It was a bad school where a lot of kids ended up pregnant or on the dole, so even the slightest interest in the actual school work and doing well had you labelled.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                              X