Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: School Nerds/Geeks

Default Re: School Nerds/Geeks

The other problem is that the school nerd and geek stereotype seems to be associated with Asperger Syndrome as well. However, I do have the condition myself, and I make no embarrassment in saying so on here.
    I am a man (just in case anyone asks).

Four or five kids from my grade in school all got the red measels one year, we all ended up needing glasses from that point on, so maybe we were a bit different. I think I got called 'four eyes' once in my entire childhood. My actual big difference there was I had light sensitive eyes and they gave me glasses that became tinted outdoors, so sometimes a kid, usually from a different year would say something to me about my thinking I was cool or something, but it was just a dumb comment that didn't mean anything. My second pair of glasses weren't tinted. I was really lucky in that I never saw any real bullying until a lot later on in school and then it was the rich kids from another area harassing us not so rich kids about clothing brands. I think most of us from my lower-middle-class area just thought it was stupid but these gangs from the other area would keep at it. There were some from an even poorer area and maybe they got to them more. I ended up switching to the poor/bad area school later that some of the poor kids didn't want to go to. It had a bad reputation buit was I think a better school (a computer class circa 1981-82 was pretty rare, and I didn't have a same-sex gym teacher grabbing at me like at the supposed better school,. ugh).

I had a boy friend though who had gotten crossed up somehow with a real bad-**** guy who really harassed him for about a year. He would come up behind him and hit him in the head in front of everyone. He would stand up for me sometimes when I didn't see any need for it so I guess looking back he was overly aware of stuff. Maybe I was picked on like anyone and didn't think much of it and without a reaction from me things never really got going? I did know girls who would really rip into each other, cry and get suicidal and physically fight. I figure I had lower hormone levels. My friend dropped out of school and moved to another city after awhile and we lost contact.

Roy Cropper would've been the kind of kid I expect I would have been playing square ball and red light green light with at recess. Sometimes there were marbles games or living statues. I was usually in with the misfits looking back (sometimes I'd just want to be alone) but didn't really think in those terms at the time. Some boys and some girls, but the 'in' crowd of girls was going on about pinup photos or who was in and out, and the 'cool' boys played football constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    The other problem is that the school nerd and geek stereotype seems to be associated with Asperger Syndrome as well. However, I do have the condition myself, and I make no embarrassment in saying so on here.
    I have heard this what you say George, but I am unsure to what extent out of 100% I'd place this at

A few I knew - like my "Michael Jackson Moon-walking Friend" (we called him that because he was literally the best dancer in doing the Moon-walk there was and that any of us had ever seen performed amongst ourselves, he never had Aspergers Syndrome to my knowledge - he was just brainy in other departments - more than others (which by a strange qurck of fate) isa n argument I am trying to convince others about on another Forum I go on - that you can excela t Maths but be poor at every subject going (and that the Maths, english or whatever - makes up for all the others you are no good at)

My other friend - probably he was equal to the Moon-0walking guy as far as friends go - was a Computer Whizz Kid (as was another guy I met at College 3/4 years later), though I think it'd be fairer to term the 2nd guy more Computer-knowledgeable - but the first guy runs his own Window Company - which I find that is quite unusual in that a person can be Hands on in Practical Work and stuff like Computers - especially running his own Company as so - so I dunno if I'd term him a Geek/Nerd or not after all this is "said and done", but sure it is an interesting call thinking back and even thinking now.

I mean in 12992 - I never had my own PC and he showed my how to Art/Graphics one Lunchtime at the Coimputer Club and my gut instincts I recall like yesterday is "what is this guy on with here", but as I say I would hardly call him a geek /nerd or like my other friend say he had/has Aspergers Syndrome

80sChav

I had access to school computers around that time, but I would say that it didn't make me anymore of a nerd than anyone else.

There was a book written by Luke Jackson when he was around 13 years old called "Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome" that I managed to pick up at a Waterstones back in around 2003. Jackson also had Asperger Syndrome as well, and he talks in the book about the difficulties he has with the condition and he talks about relationships, schooling and things like that - I think that he is in his late 20s these days. There was a documentary about his family seen on BBC Two around the same time as well.

I can't actually remember nerds or geeks at my school. We didn't use the those terms, and I really can't remember anybody who was properly into computers or books etc. Of course it was before computers really, and maybe people had geeky interests secretly. The closest was the swats and squares, me being one of them! It was a bad school where a lot of kids ended up pregnant or on the dole, so even the slightest interest in the actual school work and doing well had you labelled.
    1976 Vintage

The 'bad' school I went to had a creche or nursery in the basement because of all the gym slip Mums there. I know about that it's cool to be stupid teenaged thing as later I was more or less in the stoner crowd, even involved in holding for people and taking stuff to another place while I was underage. I do know at least two of the people from that crowd were dead in the thirties. Stupid yes, but so much for being cool, no thanks.

In my thirties my bf had a friend with Asperger's. Maybe because we both liked reading science-fiction we got along. He really didn't like being around boring people who were judgmental about anyone not like them I would say. Nothing wrong with that. Nature sure seems to like variety when you look around you. It's a strength!

I'm sure I was a nerd to some but who would those people be? A lot of them probably cared more about the label on their bluejeans or running shoes than anything else. Nowadays it's probably the make and model of smartphone. I don't know why but I've always been fine in liking something others don't or being out of style. If you're like that you are beyond cool, and anyway, everything becomes cool at some point it seems, and then if you were there first maybe you can turn around and sell your old authentic gear to someone at a big profit.

Funnily enough, at the weekend I received a letter in the post from someone that I went to school with back in the 1980s, and I would have said that he would have been a geek in comparison to the others who were in the same class as us. He got in touch because just before Christmas I was thinking about people I used to know back in the 1980s, and he was the first person that came to mind - I took Pot Luck and sent a Christmas card to the place where he had lived nearly 30 years ago, and amazingly he eventually received it after he moved from that place in 1998!

I went to a very rough Infant and Junior school, and was amazed to hear that he went to university, presumably after attending one of the posh boys' schools in Nottingham, rather than the bog-standard inner-city comprehensive school that I went onto. I was given the impression that no alumni of my old Junior School had ever went onto university. He used to say that he had never been in detention, always done his work correctly etc, and I have always wondered why he had never been a target for bullies as a result of that. Still, it was great to hear from him again after nearly 30 years.

I know one of the kids I went through school with became a police officer. Last I looked he was a sergeant. A black kid played pro football later (U.S. type). Another married and moved to the Dominican Republic. So hard to keep track of any female friends however as they often change their name through marriage, but I did read the obituary for one some years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Funnily enough, at the weekend I received a letter in the post from someone that I went to school with back in the 1980s, and I would have said that he would have been a geek in comparison to the others who were in the same class as us. He got in touch because just before Christmas I was thinking about people I used to know back in the 1980s, and he was the first person that came to mind - I took Pot Luck and sent a Christmas card to the place where he had lived nearly 30 years ago, and amazingly he eventually received it after he moved from that place in 1998!

I went to a very rough Infant and Junior school, and was amazed to hear that he went to university, presumably after attending one of the posh boys' schools in Nottingham, rather than the bog-standard inner-city comprehensive school that I went onto. I was given the impression that no alumni of my old Junior School had ever went onto university. He used to say that he had never been in detention, always done his work correctly etc, and I have always wondered why he had never been a target for bullies as a result of that. Still, it was great to hear from him again after nearly 30 years.
    Fair play to you here George and ia m glad to hear you heard from an old friend - especialy given the timescale for the address!

I think it would be fair to say none of my close friends/many (if any of our Form) was geeks par 1 at most say, who moved to Auastrlia - most was real "rough-iuns" as I have often said before - our school (my first was so bad) most probably ended up with a life of crime - where we was living the, so many moved to the Coasts for a better life -including me!

80sChav

I too wore glasses for pretty much most of my school life which meant me being called certain names
    and as for having asberger's your right to not be embarrassed by it.

Quote Originally Posted by george 1978 View Post
    i do think that a lot of kids worry about themselves being the nerd or geek - the fact that one is supposed to be the same as one's peer group, wear the same uniform, attend the same classes, etc. Or be ahead or behind with one's peer group.

I was the only one who wore glasses from years 1 to 6, so cue a lot of "odd one out" speculation there. I know that my social difficulties so many years later had stemmed from school days, and the fact that i knew that i was different back then, but didn't know why i was. I bet that roy cropper in coronation street was one as a child.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL