School Nerds/Geeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School Nerds/Geeks

The 'bad' school I went to had a creche or nursery in the basement because of all the gym slip Mums there. I know about that it's cool to be stupid teenaged thing as later I was more or less in the stoner crowd, even involved in holding for people and taking stuff to another place while I was underage. I do know at least two of the people from that crowd were dead in the thirties. Stupid yes, but so much for being cool, no thanks.

In my thirties my bf had a friend with Asperger's. Maybe because we both liked reading science-fiction we got along. He really didn't like being around boring people who were judgmental about anyone not like them I would say. Nothing wrong with that. Nature sure seems to like variety when you look around you. It's a strength!

I'm sure I was a nerd to some but who would those people be? A lot of them probably cared more about the label on their bluejeans or running shoes than anything else. Nowadays it's probably the make and model of smartphone. I don't know why but I've always been fine in liking something others don't or being out of style. If you're like that you are beyond cool, and anyway, everything becomes cool at some point it seems, and then if you were there first maybe you can turn around and sell your old authentic gear to someone at a big profit.
    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Funnily enough, at the weekend I received a letter in the post from someone that I went to school with back in the 1980s, and I would have said that he would have been a geek in comparison to the others who were in the same class as us. He got in touch because just before Christmas I was thinking about people I used to know back in the 1980s, and he was the first person that came to mind - I took Pot Luck and sent a Christmas card to the place where he had lived nearly 30 years ago, and amazingly he eventually received it after he moved from that place in 1998!

I went to a very rough Infant and Junior school, and was amazed to hear that he went to university, presumably after attending one of the posh boys' schools in Nottingham, rather than the bog-standard inner-city comprehensive school that I went onto. I was given the impression that no alumni of my old Junior School had ever went onto university. He used to say that he had never been in detention, always done his work correctly etc, and I have always wondered why he had never been a target for bullies as a result of that. Still, it was great to hear from him again after nearly 30 years.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I know one of the kids I went through school with became a police officer. Last I looked he was a sergeant. A black kid played pro football later (U.S. type). Another married and moved to the Dominican Republic. So hard to keep track of any female friends however as they often change their name through marriage, but I did read the obituary for one some years ago.
        My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
          Funnily enough, at the weekend I received a letter in the post from someone that I went to school with back in the 1980s, and I would have said that he would have been a geek in comparison to the others who were in the same class as us. He got in touch because just before Christmas I was thinking about people I used to know back in the 1980s, and he was the first person that came to mind - I took Pot Luck and sent a Christmas card to the place where he had lived nearly 30 years ago, and amazingly he eventually received it after he moved from that place in 1998!

I went to a very rough Infant and Junior school, and was amazed to hear that he went to university, presumably after attending one of the posh boys' schools in Nottingham, rather than the bog-standard inner-city comprehensive school that I went onto. I was given the impression that no alumni of my old Junior School had ever went onto university. He used to say that he had never been in detention, always done his work correctly etc, and I have always wondered why he had never been a target for bullies as a result of that. Still, it was great to hear from him again after nearly 30 years.
          Fair play to you here George and ia m glad to hear you heard from an old friend - especialy given the timescale for the address!

I think it would be fair to say none of my close friends/many (if any of our Form) was geeks par 1 at most say, who moved to Auastrlia - most was real "rough-iuns" as I have often said before - our school (my first was so bad) most probably ended up with a life of crime - where we was living the, so many moved to the Coasts for a better life -including me!

80sChav

Comment

I too wore glasses for pretty much most of my school life which meant me being called certain names
            and as for having asberger's your right to not be embarrassed by it.

Originally posted by george 1978 View Post
            i do think that a lot of kids worry about themselves being the nerd or geek - the fact that one is supposed to be the same as one's peer group, wear the same uniform, attend the same classes, etc. Or be ahead or behind with one's peer group.

I was the only one who wore glasses from years 1 to 6, so cue a lot of "odd one out" speculation there. I know that my social difficulties so many years later had stemmed from school days, and the fact that i knew that i was different back then, but didn't know why i was. I bet that roy cropper in coronation street was one as a child.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              I too wore glasses for pretty much most of my school life which meant me being called certain names
              and as for having asberger's your right to not be embarrassed by it.
              Don't worry - and it's Asperger, not Asberger.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                When I was at school they were called "boffins" or "boffs". There was a group of them that weere all friends at my school, about 5 of them. They were very clever and wore blazers or had briefcases (think Will from The Inbetweeners) even though these were not required school attire.
                As well too there was those whop always, always had (had to, rather) have their Top Button done uyp if it was the rules or not - almost like the "Fashion-istas" of the 80s and those that go/went clubbing in a Polo Shirt and (just slightly oversized Blazer) was often the cases I found too Mullentino! What do you think mate?

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                  Fair play to you here George and ia m glad to hear you heard from an old friend - especialy given the timescale for the address!

I think it would be fair to say none of my close friends/many (if any of our Form) was geeks par 1 at most say, who moved to Auastrlia - most was real "rough-iuns" as I have often said before - our school (my first was so bad) most probably ended up with a life of crime - where we was living the, so many moved to the Coasts for a better life -including me!

80sChav
                  Well, as I will be 40 this August, I thought that it was a good chance to do that. There are those from the past who, shall I say, hope that I never hear from again.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                    Well, as I will be 40 this August, I thought that it was a good chance to do that. There are those from the past who, shall I say, hope that I never hear from again.
                    True and good call here, George!

You are braver than me I must say - credit where it's due! I could not be so brave (par the odd one or 2 I already kept in touch with)

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                    X