Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catching hudgies on the supes. Or getting an illegal ride on the back of a bin lorry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching hudgies on the supes. Or getting an illegal ride on the back of a bin lorry

Anyone else remember jumping on the back of lorries for an illicit ride, particularly the bin lorries.

It was referred to in Glasgw as getting a hudgie on the back of the supes. Have no idea how a bin lorry came to be referred to as a "supe".
    Also heard it referred to as getting a niggy on the supes.

What was this practice called in your part of the UK

Different types of bin lorries had different nick-names. Only ones I can remember are The Angel and The Bomber, but can't remember the particular vehicles they referred to. Think the Angel might have been called that because it had doors that opened up on the back that resembled wings

I don't remember the different types of bin lorries but the big ones were made by Seddon Atkinson. This was in the 1970s.

We also tried clinging on to the back of Leyland Atlanteans. The handles for opening the engine compartment made for makeshift "stirrups". There was a kind of ledge at the rear window which you had to rely on pure friction between the skin of your hands and the bus to keep hold.

We would also try to get away with riding on the doorways as there was a bar you could grab, especially so on the ones with exit doors halfway up the bus.

What absolute idiots we were, and I saw some serious injuries amongst my friends. These were down to, on many occasions, the driver "doing a deedie" when he knew there were kids on the back. This involved the driver slamming his size 12 right foot on the brake, and you slamming your jaw into the back of the lorry. I knew more than one 10 year old with front dentures because of this.

Also saw many a kid fall off vehicles when they reached an appreciable speed and chickened out. The sight of road gravel in mangled knee is not nice!

Re: Catching hudgies on the supes. Or getting an illegal ride on the back of a bin lo

I've not heard of anyone doing this, but I remember my cycling proficiency book mentioned it was a bad idea to try hanging onto the back of a lorry while cycling.

I've seen a few people riding in the back of lorries over the years, which looked a bit risky.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Re: Catching hudgies on the supes. Or getting an illegal ride on the back of a bin lo

Not bin lorries but I remember seeing older lads jumping on the back of the Leyland Atlantean buses just as described. They were going at quite a lick too. How they never fell off I'll never know.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
        I've not heard of anyone doing this, but I remember my cycling proficiency book mentioned it was a bad idea to try hanging onto the back of a lorry while cycling.

I've seen a few people riding in the back of lorries over the years, which looked a bit risky.
        Well a few decades ago BEFORE all these bladdy pelican / zebra crossings I used to get in the slipstream of buses or coaches and cycle down the main road at about 35 mph ( felt faster )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
        X