Pick of the Pops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick of the Pops

For all I loved recording the latest tunes from the top 40, there is a special place in my heart for Pick of the Pops. I remember discovering it randomly one day in my teenage years, a golden opportunity to record great 'older' tunes that I didn't have on record or tape. I suppose even then I had nostalgic tendencies, and from then on I would tune in to Fluff as well as the main chart on a Sunday.
    1976 Vintage

Re: Pick of the Pops

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
    For all I loved recording the latest tunes from the top 40, there is a special place in my heart for Pick of the Pops. I remember discovering it randomly one day in my teenage years, a golden opportunity to record great 'older' tunes that I didn't have on record or tape. I suppose even then I had nostalgic tendencies, and from then on I would tune in to Fluff as well as the main chart on a Sunday.
    Me & my Dad & Brother liked POTP for this reason, along with Thirty Years of Number Ones, where Fluff played all the British & American number ones from between 1960 & 1990.

The years for each country were randomly chosen to make things interesting.

I've still got a few songs taped from these shows.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Pick Of The Pops wasa g great Programe/Show indeed

I have many fond memories of POP when it was repeated in the 90s from it's first ever Episode - when I used to go and visit a friend of a Sunday afternoon, who adored his 60s Music and Radio Stations/Programmes and the like!

80sChav

Comment

I used to record tunes from this as well - still have all the cassettes. Another favourite was Sounds of the Sixties with Brian Matthew on Saturday mornings, particularly when I was into 60s music in the early 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalBall View Post
          I used to record tunes from this as well - still have all the cassettes. Another favourite was Sounds of the Sixties with Brian Matthew on Saturday mornings, particularly when I was into 60s music in the early 90s.
          I like this was well, especially as my Dad would put it on when he woke up on a Saturday morning.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I have to say that the presenters are a lot choosy when it comes to what to play - I don't mean ignoring the obvious such as the Sex Pistols, but overlooking obscure ones - mind you, I assume that Radio 2 doesn't have then to play anyway.

It does seem almost weird to hear the tradition 1960s theme tune played at the end of a chart from the 1990s or more recent. And I also feel that playing a chart from post-2000 isn't worth it, even though it was around 15 years ago, which is ironic considering the fact that I would have enjoyed a 1972 chart in 1987.

Tony Blackburn was the best presenter after Fluff. Dale always said "let's do the chart rundown" at the end in exactly the same was as if he was saying "let's do those shopping totals" on Supermarket Sweep.

Oh, and I once contacted the BBC after they played Madonna's Like a Prayer instead of Duran Duran's Save a Prayer in a 1982 chart they were playing.
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

POP sure was/is an an amazing influential insitution of a Radio Programme - in a similar way to Desert Island Discs!!

How on eart it has kept running and not been de-commissed in a way TV Progs have is testamony to ut's longevaty I think

80sChav

Comment

Working...
              X