Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Bags

Default School Bags

I apologize in advance if this thread should be here or (in the fashion category) but here seemed more appropriate

If ypu had a Bag for School/College - how did you wear it?, like a Backpack (say a sting Bag like a Jayne Austin/J.D one) or if was like a Leather Bag with the strap down one side at the front - like a Netball Stap?

80sChav

Default Re: School Bags

Over the years I had many different school bags but some really stick in my mind.

in primary school a friend of mine got a neon pink transparent bag with Danger Mouse on it. I had to have one and loved mine, even though you could see everything in it.

There was a craze in about 1985 for girls shoulder bags made of PVC. They were square and quite flat with thin straps and a zip on top. They usually had some sort of very 80's drawing on them (my friend had one with the profile of two women with headphones and lots of bright make up and slightly punky hair). I had one but it was plain red with thin graduated black stripes on it.

In high school I had a small Head bag, then a couple of back packs, one with an Aztec style print that was popular at the time.
    1976 Vintage

My primary school bags were all Dap Bags, simple cloth bags of blue or black material with a draw string at the top.

My first secondary school bag was a big heavy leather satchel my nan got hold of somehow. I tried to destroy it honestly but the ruddy thing took quite a beating for many years until it fell apart. Eventually I was allowed to use old WWII ex army bags from the surplus supply shop which was all the rage at the time( Late 70's early 80's). Most kids had them, and mine got covered in Tippex and marker pen like every body else's.

I remember in the early 1980s there was a fad for draw string kit bags, made from the same material as paper delivery bags in the same sort of colour (normally orange or yellow), with a design printed in black. These were popular with the juniors at my primary school for a few years.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I remember in the early 1980s there was a fad for draw string kit bags, made from the same material as paper delivery bags in the same sort of colour (normally orange or yellow), with a design printed in black. These were popular with the juniors at my primary school for a few years.

As well as into the 1990s too Richard too!

I am sure J.D was going in some version or another but oddly school allowed them for PE but not as actual "School bags" strangely lol

80sChav

yeah those were the Sportpax bags, had various pictures on from swimming to football.

We had a phase at our school where you'd use cloth (canvas) bank coin bags for your books, usually covered in drawings/graffiti and held by the end and swung around to hit each other. We called them "Pig Bags" for some unknown reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletino View Post
    yeah those were the Sportpax bags, had various pictures on from swimming to football.

We had a phase at our school where you'd use cloth (canvas) bank coin bags for your books, usually covered in drawings/graffiti and held by the end and swung around to hit each other. We called them "Pig Bags" for some unknown reason.
    For us it was JJB/Jayne Austin (for the girls alll the way) Mullentino

What though I'd meant by this thread - was straps -wise how did people wear them lol, as a friend of mine (sort of) even on non-PE Days had like a tennis Bag and though he was a nasty bombastic piece of work at the best of times, he saw fit to wear this bag - which was proibably 10/15 inches long in width just like MaCenroe etc did all the day long everywhere and booting people in the face with it en-route!! No way was it cool/trendy - it was very ill-so instead rather imho!

80sChav

From memory my schoolbag i wore it with the strap round my neck and shoulders with bag itself by my side.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    From memory my schoolbag i wore it with the strap round my neck and shoulders with bag itself by my side.
    Me too, Darren (or I tried to) tto look a cool dude! Seeing though as this thread has drifted away a tad from how we wore/was wearing Bags a bit - it has brought my memory back of like Mullentino said - we had these Sportex Bags and can anyone recall their primary school trying to make you endorse them?!!

The ones they tried to encourage us to buy was liker Shopping Bags that somebody on the Last Of The Summer Wine used as shopping (and even before LOTSW) bag in the early 70s at that ...... rancid Bags indeed!

Did anyone carry a briefcase to school for their homework books and all that? I didn't (wasn't posh enough), but I suppose it wasn't really practical for PE Kits or cookery ingredients.

I am certain that some lad did, and he had a lot of stick for doing so.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).