Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School Bags

Default Re: School Bags

One kid in my year did carry a briefcase around with him complete with calculator. When he left school he got a job with his father in the same bank. Last I heard he was now a bank manager. We all laughed at him at the time, but now he's laughing at all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by battyrat View Post
    One kid in my year did carry a briefcase around with him complete with calculator. When he left school he got a job with his father in the same bank. Last I heard he was now a bank manager. We all laughed at him at the time, but now he's laughing at all of us.
    Probably was he Matthew Pearson off Grange Hill huh Batty mate!!? At my schools - if we had had these we'd of been ridiculed to eterntity

Though I must admitt as years have gone on - I so wish I'd had had a JD Drawstring or if I was a Girl a Jayne Austin/Ann Summers etc - as to both Guys and Girls JD are immensley trendy now (not just kids), but in how they are worn as a strap - I wish I had seen the light with those!

80sChav

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Did anyone carry a briefcase to school for their homework books and all that? I didn't (wasn't posh enough), but I suppose it wasn't really practical for PE Kits or cookery ingredients.

I am certain that some lad did, and he had a lot of stick for doing so.
    The whole school did at my shite Grammar school. Most carries leather/faux leather old fashioned briefcases with a clip and key and straps, rather like a larger satchel without the long straps. This horrible thing could ony be carried underarm.

These cases carried every single book you needed for that day. We didn't have allotted desks. Well, we did but only an idiot would use these filth encrusted holes of wood from the victorian age. Reason is, of course, anything left in these desks would be defaced/destroyed or, if of any conceivable use, stolen.

The maths text book was the heaviest damn thing you ever saw in your life. It just weighed a ton. I swear we had Maths every day so this damned thing was carried, virtually at all times. The thing was, with this bloody thing onboard, everthing else was crushed/rammed alongside it it.

I think I went through about two or three briefcases in 5 years. This was surprising now I think about it, because it took such punishment, from heavy books to service as a goalpost to an offensive weapon.

To this day I still have dreadful pain in my shoulder from carrying that bloody briefcase. Indeed, the pain was forever known as the 'Wallingford shoulder'.

And did I make this up ?

Nope.

All true.

We all had leather satchels in the early seventies plus the boys HAD to wear a school cap outside of school !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    We all had leather satchels in the early seventies plus the boys HAD to wear a school cap outside of school !!

I was spared the school cap. It was phased out around 1969 when I went to secondary school.

Just as well really as this garment would have been snatched off heads and ground underfoot in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pussywillow View Post
    I was spared the school cap. It was phased out around 1969 when I went to secondary school.

Just as well really as this garment would have been snatched off heads and ground underfoot in no time.
    We still wore them for a year or two in the early 70's , sadly