School Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Bags

I apologize in advance if this thread should be here or (in the fashion category) but here seemed more appropriate

If ypu had a Bag for School/College - how did you wear it?, like a Backpack (say a sting Bag like a Jayne Austin/J.D one) or if was like a Leather Bag with the strap down one side at the front - like a Netball Stap?

80sChav

Re: School Bags

Over the years I had many different school bags but some really stick in my mind.

in primary school a friend of mine got a neon pink transparent bag with Danger Mouse on it. I had to have one and loved mine, even though you could see everything in it.

There was a craze in about 1985 for girls shoulder bags made of PVC. They were square and quite flat with thin straps and a zip on top. They usually had some sort of very 80's drawing on them (my friend had one with the profile of two women with headphones and lots of bright make up and slightly punky hair). I had one but it was plain red with thin graduated black stripes on it.

In high school I had a small Head bag, then a couple of back packs, one with an Aztec style print that was popular at the time.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

My primary school bags were all Dap Bags, simple cloth bags of blue or black material with a draw string at the top.

My first secondary school bag was a big heavy leather satchel my nan got hold of somehow. I tried to destroy it honestly but the ruddy thing took quite a beating for many years until it fell apart. Eventually I was allowed to use old WWII ex army bags from the surplus supply shop which was all the rage at the time( Late 70's early 80's). Most kids had them, and mine got covered in Tippex and marker pen like every body else's.

Comment

I remember in the early 1980s there was a fad for draw string kit bags, made from the same material as paper delivery bags in the same sort of colour (normally orange or yellow), with a design printed in black. These were popular with the juniors at my primary school for a few years.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          I remember in the early 1980s there was a fad for draw string kit bags, made from the same material as paper delivery bags in the same sort of colour (normally orange or yellow), with a design printed in black. These were popular with the juniors at my primary school for a few years.

As well as into the 1990s too Richard too!

I am sure J.D was going in some version or another but oddly school allowed them for PE but not as actual "School bags" strangely lol

80sChav

Comment

yeah those were the Sportpax bags, had various pictures on from swimming to football.

We had a phase at our school where you'd use cloth (canvas) bank coin bags for your books, usually covered in drawings/graffiti and held by the end and swung around to hit each other. We called them "Pig Bags" for some unknown reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
              yeah those were the Sportpax bags, had various pictures on from swimming to football.

We had a phase at our school where you'd use cloth (canvas) bank coin bags for your books, usually covered in drawings/graffiti and held by the end and swung around to hit each other. We called them "Pig Bags" for some unknown reason.
              For us it was JJB/Jayne Austin (for the girls alll the way) Mullentino

What though I'd meant by this thread - was straps -wise how did people wear them lol, as a friend of mine (sort of) even on non-PE Days had like a tennis Bag and though he was a nasty bombastic piece of work at the best of times, he saw fit to wear this bag - which was proibably 10/15 inches long in width just like MaCenroe etc did all the day long everywhere and booting people in the face with it en-route!! No way was it cool/trendy - it was very ill-so instead rather imho!

80sChav

Comment

From memory my schoolbag i wore it with the strap round my neck and shoulders with bag itself by my side.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  From memory my schoolbag i wore it with the strap round my neck and shoulders with bag itself by my side.
                  Me too, Darren (or I tried to) tto look a cool dude! Seeing though as this thread has drifted away a tad from how we wore/was wearing Bags a bit - it has brought my memory back of like Mullentino said - we had these Sportex Bags and can anyone recall their primary school trying to make you endorse them?!!

The ones they tried to encourage us to buy was liker Shopping Bags that somebody on the Last Of The Summer Wine used as shopping (and even before LOTSW) bag in the early 70s at that ...... rancid Bags indeed!

Comment

Did anyone carry a briefcase to school for their homework books and all that? I didn't (wasn't posh enough), but I suppose it wasn't really practical for PE Kits or cookery ingredients.

I am certain that some lad did, and he had a lot of stick for doing so.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

One kid in my year did carry a briefcase around with him complete with calculator. When he left school he got a job with his father in the same bank. Last I heard he was now a bank manager. We all laughed at him at the time, but now he's laughing at all of us.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                        One kid in my year did carry a briefcase around with him complete with calculator. When he left school he got a job with his father in the same bank. Last I heard he was now a bank manager. We all laughed at him at the time, but now he's laughing at all of us.
                        Probably was he Matthew Pearson off Grange Hill huh Batty mate!!? At my schools - if we had had these we'd of been ridiculed to eterntity :cry:

Though I must admitt as years have gone on - I so wish I'd had had a JD Drawstring or if I was a Girl a Jayne Austin/Ann Summers etc - as to both Guys and Girls JD are immensley trendy now (not just kids), but in how they are worn as a strap - I wish I had seen the light with those!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                          Did anyone carry a briefcase to school for their homework books and all that? I didn't (wasn't posh enough), but I suppose it wasn't really practical for PE Kits or cookery ingredients.

I am certain that some lad did, and he had a lot of stick for doing so.
                          The whole school did at my shite Grammar school. Most carries leather/faux leather old fashioned briefcases with a clip and key and straps, rather like a larger satchel without the long straps. This horrible thing could ony be carried underarm.

These cases carried every single book you needed for that day. We didn't have allotted desks. Well, we did but only an idiot would use these filth encrusted holes of wood from the victorian age. Reason is, of course, anything left in these desks would be defaced/destroyed or, if of any conceivable use, stolen.

The maths text book was the heaviest damn thing you ever saw in your life. It just weighed a ton. I swear we had Maths every day so this damned thing was carried, virtually at all times. The thing was, with this bloody thing onboard, everthing else was crushed/rammed alongside it it.

I think I went through about two or three briefcases in 5 years. This was surprising now I think about it, because it took such punishment, from heavy books to service as a goalpost to an offensive weapon.

To this day I still have dreadful pain in my shoulder from carrying that bloody briefcase. Indeed, the pain was forever known as the 'Wallingford shoulder'.

And did I make this up ?

Nope.

All true.

Comment

We all had leather satchels in the early seventies plus the boys HAD to wear a school cap outside of school !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                              We all had leather satchels in the early seventies plus the boys HAD to wear a school cap outside of school !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              I was spared the school cap. It was phased out around 1969 when I went to secondary school.

Just as well really as this garment would have been snatched off heads and ground underfoot in no time.

Comment

Working...
                              X