Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Sore throat! Sooore throat!" Please tell me I didn't imagine this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Sore throat! Sooore throat!" Please tell me I didn't imagine this!

Does anyone else remember this creepy 1980's advert for sore throat medicine which scared me as a kid?
    A woman is in a phone box at night. She rings a number which is picked up by someone in bed. The woman in the phone box whispers "Sore throat! Sore throat!" while holding her throat. (I think an owl flies past a window at some point too.). The ad ends with ambulance sirens.

I just remember the bizarre, surreal atmosphere of it creeping me out. Does anyone else remember it?

Re: "Sore throat! Sooore throat!" Please tell me I didn't imagine this!

I'm kind of surprised this hasn't jogged any memories.
    It was such an odd advert and I remember friends at school saying they were creeped out too.

Comment

Definitely rings a bell... Tunes springs to mind. Will have to do a search...

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by philfrommancs View Post
        Definitely rings a bell... Tunes springs to mind. Will have to do a search...

^Its possible... though I seem to remember Tunes adverts being 'lighthearted'.
        This ad was definitely not lighthearted. More outright freaky.

Comment

Here’s your ad. It was for TCP, airing in 1988. Personally I wouldn’t put the stuff anywhere near your mouth, the smell stays in a room for days when you even briefly open the cap. Anyway, here’s the advert:
          http://www.hatads.org.uk/catalogue/r...d-9f9fae4fad08

Comment

What a bazaar concoction of an advert. Most odd. It's possible it aired during the period when I did not have a TV which was in the late 80's to early 90's which is why I did not recognise it. Fairly short in length as well.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
              What a bazaar concoction of an advert. Most odd. It's possible it aired during the period when I did not have a TV which was in the late 80's to early 90's which is why I did not recognise it. Fairly short in length as well.
              It seems to be part of a series which uses rapid shots of various things and ending on the ambulance siren. The other commercials include someone running away from a wasp just to get stung by stinging nettles and a teenager on a BMX who falls off, though the sore throat one is by far the scariest

Comment

Originally posted by MiniMort View Post
                Here’s your ad. It was for TCP, airing in 1988. Personally I wouldn’t put the stuff anywhere near your mouth, the smell stays in a room for days when you even briefly open the cap. Anyway, here’s the advert:
                http://www.hatads.org.uk/catalogue/r...d-9f9fae4fad08

^THANKS MiniMort! Thats the one! And it still gives me the creeps!

Just out of interest, how did you track it down? Did you also remember this ad?
                And yes, TCP was horrible stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Jalan View Post
                  ^THANKS MiniMort! Thats the one! And it still gives me the creeps!

Just out of interest, how did you track it down? Did you also remember this ad?
                  And yes, TCP was horrible stuff!
                  I don’t remember it, a bit before my time. I simply went to the History Of Advertising Trust and typed in sore throat, just to find adverts from different brands. TCP came up so I thought not many would’ve looked it up. As I said earlier, this is part of a series of ads from 1988 - but this is by far the creepiest.

Im glad to reunite you with this ad!

Comment

^Well thanks for your research.

The History Of Advertising Trust reacquainted me with a few other adverts from childhood too.

Cheers!

Comment

Speaking of creepy 1980's adverts, I'm REALLY glad I never saw this one for The Samaritans: "Is There Anybody Out There?" :cry:https://www.hatads.org.uk/catalogue/...f-d7f09560eb43

Comment

Originally posted by Jalan View Post
                        Speaking of creepy 1980's adverts, I'm REALLY glad I never saw this one for The Samaritans: "Is There Anybody Out There?" :cry:https://www.hatads.org.uk/catalogue/...f-d7f09560eb43
                        Never seen that one before!

Comment

Working...
                        X