The Seekers and Judith Durham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Seekers and Judith Durham

Though I know I commented on them, the other day in a thread - they are easily in one of my top 3 60s Groups and probably my favourite Australian Group/Band Singer - in-extreme particular Judith - who was such a stunning looking gal back in the 60s (though The Seekers and "I'll Never Find Another You" was 10 years before my time!!

Not as I am proclaiming all their stuff was excellent, but in the correct harmonic mix like with "I'll Never Find Another You" and Waltzing Matlida, I'm an Australian, Moringtown Ride and Georgy Girl but to name a few - the singing in tune with the other members all at once is some of the best I have ever seen!!

Georgy Girl live in Australia - when they went back was an amazing performance live indeed and the choir that accomponied it/them was equaly great too in my opinion and to think they got 200 thousand there in them day's - 50 years since (though abliet not all was for them , as others are said to have attened other parts of the event I have read

The Seekers though are a true credit to Australia in my opinion and represent the good-ness of Australia - when many moved there to start a new fresh start that! So if your a fan of Judith and The Seekers reply if you want!

80sChav

Re: The Seekers and Judith Durham

Showing my age referencing songs as "Numbers" like my Gran-parents - I have only just discoverd a new -ish version (2001) of Morningtown Ride with special alterations to Xmas, in a similar way how Elton John alterd Candle In The Wind for Princess Diana from the Marilyn Monroe version (as is popular these days - though yes the 2 songs lyrics became change for differing reasons) it is still relevant I think

I would add a link but don't wanna get in bother, but if you love The Seekers like me "seek" this one out - it's a brilliant modern interpration of an old classic I feel

80sChav

Comment

I mentioned in that other thread about my parents having a Seekers LP of songs, and the fact that it had on the cover the group dressed in some very 1960s Carnaby Street-alike clothes. They also had "A World Of Our Own" as a single in their 7 inch collection - 1965 was it now?

I am certain that we sung Morningtown Ride at Infant School, probably at Friday assembly - it sounds like one of those songs that you would hear on a children's programme such as A Handful of Songs.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

ALTOGETHER NOW.....Rockin rollin rising all along the bay, all bound for morningtown many miles away!!
        They dont write em like that anymore.
        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
          ALTOGETHER NOW.....Rockin rollin rising all along the bay, all bound for morningtown many miles away!!
          True indeed Tex - until I re-heard the Morningtown Ride Song I had forgot all about and it was obliverated from my mind I had heard it

The best thing is I can only recall as far back as being 5 year old generally, but I must easily without doubt not even of been 3 when I first heard it on reflection now!!

80sChav

Comment

There is a DVD with three '60s TV specials the original group made; it has a nice thick booklet with it too! They said they set viewing numbers records of some kind at the time. Two were more Australia-centered (you can even see them walking/singing around the Sydney opera house still under construction in one), and the other was a sort of dramatized biography of the group. There was some real live concert film and audio in one also.
            My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

You are reminding me of assembly, and the hard wooden floor.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Ah, one of the only two songs I can play on the ukulele!

Comment

Originally posted by hazel View Post
                  Ah, one of the only two songs I can play on the ukulele!
                  I would love to hear this Hazel - i so admire the harony of the great ukulele

Comment

Morningtown Ride is my little grandson's favourite lullaby.

Comment

The black and white film Georgy Girl fro 1966 was on Sony Classic a couple of nights ago.I missed the beginning and the end would have loved to have heard That song

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                        The black and white film Georgy Girl fro 1966 was on Sony Classic a couple of nights ago.I missed the beginning and the end would have loved to have heard That song

Carry On regular Jim Dale wrote the lyrics to Georgy Girl.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                          Carry On regular Jim Dale wrote the lyrics to Georgy Girl.
                          Well I didn't know that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
                            Morningtown Ride is my little grandson's favourite lullaby.
                            I had totaly forgot about "Moringtown" until a few years or 18 months or so back - what a hit that was

It would be too un-fair to single any fave song out from Judith and The Seekers - even though "Morningtown" is one of my earliest Song Memories!

80sChav

Comment

I had run out of time, to edit the above post but thre are way way too many songs I love by Judith and The seekers

Even re-hearing Geogie Boy after many years evoked great memories as did so many others - as as a group Judith and the Guys had such powwerful talent I think!

80sChav
                              Last edited by 80sChav; 12-01-2020, 19:00.

Comment

Working...
                              X