Grand National Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand National Memories

As today was the annual running of the Grand National, are there any memories of the iconic race out there?

My first memory of the Grand National was the 1968 race when Red Alligator was the winner. I remember being so excited watching it on our old B/W telly. I was, of course, far too young to have a flutter, being 6 at the time.

1977 was the year that Red Rum won for the 3rd time. My dad put a bet on for me on Red Rum and it was fantastic to watch him gallop home to a huge cheer from the racegoers...a real piece of sporting history.

Re: Grand National Memories

I should also mention the infamous 1993 race, when there was a false start, but most didn't get recalled. Only 7 finished the race and I was so excited as I had had a bet on Esha, who was a long price and won. I was gutted when it was declared null and void and had to be re-run--the next week I think.

Comment

I think it was the only time that my parents had any contact with the local bookies - they used to have the relevant pages of The Sun while watching Grandstand on that Saturday afternoon.

I have been researching old television schedules and listing highlights, and I did notice that the Grand National used to be on the same day as the Eurovision Song Contest for many years in the 1970s - it was the case when Bob Champion won in 1981. And of course Charles married Camilla on the same day as the 2005 event even though it was supposed to happen the day before (the wedding, that was). And of course 1993 when it never happened.

When did Red Rum win? Was it 1977?
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Red Rum won the Grand National 3 times and came 2nd twice

Greatest National winner of all time

Comment

Wasn't it at some point in the late 1990s when it was postponed on the Saturday and rerun the following Monday? BBC 2 had shown it on a Monday afternoon.

I am not thinking of the 1993 event but one a few years later.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Yes George your right in 1997 the race was cancelled due to bomb threats and was rerun on the Monday

Comment

The Grand National was the one that most people backed a horse who otherwise don't bet
              sigpic
              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I had in my mind that the rerun was closer to 1999, but I knew that it was the late 1990s. A pity that they didn't do this in 1993 so that the punters and the bookies didn't end up having nervous breakdowns because the race was cancelled.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                X