Forgotten cartoons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forgotten cartoons

Another cartoon I remember was Godzilla (with Godzooki).

Comment

There was a historical cartoon series called Max the 2,000 Year old Mouse where the mouse used to tell us about things that happened in the past, mostly American stuff I assume. My late father said to me that it the events mentioned all true and actually happened. Central shown it around 9.25 am on a Sunday morning circa 1987 just after David Frost wrapped up his Sunday programme on TV-am.

There were those Tex Avery cartoons that were shown opposite Coronation Street on BBC 2 on Monday evenings in the mid 1980s - they were obscure.

There was a cartoon character called Figaro who was either a cat or dog, and was a Warner Brothers creation - anyone remember that character? Reminded me of Pepe le Pew. I am certain that I saw one cartoon on Saturday afternoon ITV.

Another one was something called Christopher Crumpet - ATV had a cartoon scheduled on the day I was born!
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
        I used to like Sport Billy.

It's always struck me as odd that some cartoon seemed to be shown again & again for years, but others only seemed to get one screening & vanish.

Sport Billy was shown on Central in the early to mid 1980s in the weekday morning slot when the schools programmes were off. I got a Ladybird Sport Billy Book, probably from a school jumble sale where it shows the character doing various sports. Cannot remember what the story was all about, but I assume it was similar to the plotline of the TV programme.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
          There was a historical cartoon series called Max the 2,000 Year old Mouse where the mouse used to tell us about things that happened in the past, mostly American stuff I assume.
          I don't recognise this one! I'm intrigued to know if there were cartoons that were unique to individual ITV companies used as fillers. CITV was intended to unify children's TV across the nation in weekday afternoons, and Saturday mornings unified in the early 1980s but cartoons were sometimes shown at other times on ITV well into the 1990s.

There was a cartoon called Tube Mice about some mice that lived in the London Underground. It was produced by TSW so it has probably never been repeated after 1992 or released on DVD.

When was Fantastic Max shown?

Willy Fogg 2 seems to be unfamiliar despite it being shown in 1999 by the BBC on Saturday mornings.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
            Sport Billy was shown on Central in the early to mid 1980s in the weekday morning slot when the schools programmes were off. I got a Ladybird Sport Billy Book, probably from a school jumble sale where it shows the character doing various sports. Cannot remember what the story was all about, but I assume it was similar to the plotline of the TV programme.
            Me & my brother had a Sport Billy book from Ladybird, who made a series of A5 sized "activity" books with puzzles & such to fill in.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post

There was a cartoon called Tube Mice about some mice that lived in the London Underground. It was produced by TSW so it has probably never been repeated after 1992 or released on DVD.
              I was surprised that it was made by TSW - I would have thought as the London Underground was implicated and had the two main stars of Minder, I thought that Thames would have made that series.

There was another cartoon series called Mr Rossi which I think was Spanish and was seen on Children's ITV.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Is Heathcliff a forgotten / obscure cartoon now? It was shown in the mid 1990s. It could have been on Channel 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                  Is Heathcliff a forgotten / obscure cartoon now? It was shown in the mid 1990s. It could have been on Channel 4.
                  I always remember it being on CBBC, the first 2 versions are obscure, but the 3rd with the Catillac Cats is a bit more iconic, probably it's got a bit more a of mid 1980s vibe to it.

Comment

+ Wacky Races from '68

+ & the spin-off Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines (or renamed Dastardly and Muttley in the UK) from 1969 to 1970. The iconic song Stop the Pidgeon was the theme song
                    sigpic
                    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I used to watch Motor Mouse And Auto Cat
                      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                        + Wacky Races from '68

+ & the spin-off Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines (or renamed Dastardly and Muttley in the UK) from 1969 to 1970. The iconic song Stop the Pidgeon was the theme song

A further spin-off was The Perils of Penelope Pitstop--a play on an old serial The Perils of Pauline. Pitstop was joined by the Ant Hill Mob from Wacky Races plus a new villan The Hooded Claw. Trivia...Frankie Goes To Hollywood's The Power of Love namechecks the villan "I'll protect you from the Hooded Claw..."

Comment

There was a single cartoon with characters called Bunny and Claude, a parody of Bonnnie and Clyde - does anyone remember that?

There was just one cartoon and it was repeated a few times.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Anyone remember Aubrey, the orange blobby man who used to have a bell ring over his head when he had an idea.

The opening titles had him drive a car while it fell to pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                              Anyone remember Aubrey, the orange blobby man who used to have a bell ring over his head when he had an idea.

The opening titles had him drive a car while it fell to pieces.
                              Yup!

Comment

I used to watch "Wait til your father gets home" an American domestic sitcom type cartoon. Used to be on late-ish in the mid 70s.

Comment

Working...
                                X