The Cravat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cravat.

Been browsing E-Bay for a couple of Cravats. There are hundreds for sale on there and many hundreds must be sold. Which begs the question what is happening to all those that have been purchased as you do not often see men wearing them these days.They used to be fairly common sight on the streets when I was a kid. They are not a too formal and seem to add a touch of class to an open neck shirt. Why they fell out of fashion I will never know. Time to bring back a touch of class and a fashion item that every man should know and wear.
    Attached Files

Re: The Cravat.

My mum used to put one on me when I was at primary school. If I recall correctly it was a lightish blue. Yes, they do add a bit of style when you don't feel the need for a full suit and tie. Nice to hear you can still buy them.

Comment

Cravats only seem to be worn at weddings now, or else by very eccentric men.

John Cleese wears one in an episode of Fawlty Towers, probably when he's putting on heirs & graces.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

They certainly seem to be a thing of the past which is a great pity. Cravats worn at weddings and other functions seem to be of a more formal type. The day cravat is not formal and can be worn anywhere. Men's clothing is often very drab and a simple cravat gave the gentleman a chance of adding that bit of flair and welcome colour to his costume. Most of us who grew up in the 50's,60's and 70's probably remember our fathers or grandfathers sporting them with a smart blazer or sports coat.

My father no longer wears a cravat but he still always seems to wear trousers and a blazer and has done for as long as I can remember even when he's just going into town shopping. Older values from a bygone time when men went on holiday in their suits I guess and the younger men wore sports coats and blazers.

Comment

I liked tCravaats but like my sadly departed Grandad said (and not in a snobbish way) that cravats and Bow ties was a "Cheap-Mans tie" and this is only liker say re 18985/86 to 1990) I recall him saying this, when Neckties arguably was cheap-ish!!

as much As I loved John Cleese in Fawlty Towers and his role of Basil Fawlty - the Cravat to me - if not "made" right looked so cheaply presented via a man's choice of clothing and especialy as many men "back in the day" let their Vest be seen in conjunction with the Cravat - which to me aided the fact - that they could not be asked to to their top 2 Shirt Buttons up

Though as I say I am Working Class and the like but I do love a properly presented Cravat when it comes to a Farmer/or a Hunt (not as I am in favour of Hunting, but that is the time they do look 101% smart and old school Gentlemanly I think, without any doubts at all

80sChav

Comment

I've played cricket against guys wearing cravats in the past but haven't seen anyone wearing one for at least 15-20 years. One guy was old school and the other was a young lad, who I think was a teacher at a local Private school (Millfield).

Comment

You often see dogs in cravats with someone busking
              sigpic
              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I always thought that the cravat was always used as a stereotype in dramas for posh French or Belgian Jeeves-alike upper class monocle-wearing characters.

I mean, do people really wear them in lieu of a tie or a scarf?
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Not worn much in the north, you were likely to get beat up for looking like a ponce.
                  Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Working...
                  X