Thread: The Cravat.

Default The Cravat.

Been browsing E-Bay for a couple of Cravats. There are hundreds for sale on there and many hundreds must be sold. Which begs the question what is happening to all those that have been purchased as you do not often see men wearing them these days.They used to be fairly common sight on the streets when I was a kid. They are not a too formal and seem to add a touch of class to an open neck shirt. Why they fell out of fashion I will never know. Time to bring back a touch of class and a fashion item that every man should know and wear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails men-vintage-jacquard-polyester-cravat-scarves.jpg  

Default Re: The Cravat.

My mum used to put one on me when I was at primary school. If I recall correctly it was a lightish blue. Yes, they do add a bit of style when you don't feel the need for a full suit and tie. Nice to hear you can still buy them.

Cravats only seem to be worn at weddings now, or else by very eccentric men.

John Cleese wears one in an episode of Fawlty Towers, probably when he's putting on heirs & graces.
    The Trickster On The Roof

They certainly seem to be a thing of the past which is a great pity. Cravats worn at weddings and other functions seem to be of a more formal type. The day cravat is not formal and can be worn anywhere. Men's clothing is often very drab and a simple cravat gave the gentleman a chance of adding that bit of flair and welcome colour to his costume. Most of us who grew up in the 50's,60's and 70's probably remember our fathers or grandfathers sporting them with a smart blazer or sports coat.

My father no longer wears a cravat but he still always seems to wear trousers and a blazer and has done for as long as I can remember even when he's just going into town shopping. Older values from a bygone time when men went on holiday in their suits I guess and the younger men wore sports coats and blazers.