Thread: Political correctness to a ludicrous degree

Default Political correctness to a ludicrous degree

Hi

Was watching an old Steptoe video recently, where Albert was watching the British Empre BBC TV series. It was made in 1972 (I was 13), and I remember it vividly. It was lavish for the time and narrated by the late, great Robert Hardy. Unfortunately, not only does it not seem to be available on DVD, download etc etc, it has apparently been completely airbrushed out of history. It doesn't even feature on the Internet Movie/Film database!!

I've searched high and low, even exploring the dark net but no joy. I've emailed BBC, History Magazine etc but no response. It beggars belief really. If anything, it was critical of the impact of empire, and should not be offensive in the least.

Has anyone else seen this, no anything about the airbrushing?

(I was ready for the stock responses re lack of storage, deleted etc. I wasn't ready for the denial and complete airbrushing)

Thanks

Default Re: Political correctness to a ludicrous degree

I vaguely remember watching the series. There was also a magazine that accompanied it--one of those multi-part efforts I think.

Would the BBC Genome website have airbrushed it too? Here's the list of Radio Times issues for 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post
    Would the BBC Genome website have airbrushed it too? Here's the list of Radio Times issues for 1972.
    The Genome has it listed: https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/951cb086...5ecf37f16e951d

Thanks for your responses. I think I also came across one of these Genome entries when searching. Didn't the BBC once have an archive BBC Store or something for old digital material?

Completely airbrushed out of other, non BBC sources as well:

https://www.imdb.com/find?q=The%20Br...=tv&ref_=fn_tv

I wonder if appraching Robert Hardy's family might work.

Not going to give up on this.