R.I.P. Alan Bean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Alan Bean

Alan Bean, (March 15, 1932-May 16, 2018) the fourth man to set foot on the moon and the last survivng astronaut of Apollo 12 has passed away. The other astronauts of Apollo 12 were, Charles "Pete" Conrad (June 2, 1930-July8, 1999), and Richard Francis Gordon (October 5, 1929-November 6, 2017). Another one of my real life Heroes has now gone forever. To me, they were somebody very special.

R.I.P. to all of them. You were all great adventurers and real Heroes.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Re: R.I.P. Alan Bean

Sadly, the Apollo astronauts are coming to age.
    I became interested in Science because of the Moon landings.

Comment

Wasn't it 1969 the first moon landing by Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin?
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Very sad to hear that another genuinely brave and heroic pioneer has passed away. I have enormous respect for all who venture into the most hostile environment known in order to advance our knowledge. RIP.

Comment

It would be brilliant if we could travel to other planets, which could very well support life, as here on Earth

Apparently 'people' visit us...............
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
            It would be brilliant if we could travel to other planets, which could very well support life, as here on Earth

Apparently 'people' visit us...............

I have been interested in astronomy and space travel since the Apollo coverage in the late 60s/early 70s. In all that time, manned travel to a planet, usually Mars, has always been "20 years away". Even today in 2018, I still here "within 20 years". That also goes for bases on the Moon. I have no doubt that the sheer mindboggling complexity and incredible cost of setting up a Moonbase or sending a manned mission to Mars are very serious obstacles to such projects. The Apollo missions used technology that had to remain reliable for a matter of several weeks. For a mission to Mars, that reliability has to be sustained for a year or so.

Comment

Just realised my stupid error.....It should have read May 26, 2018. Sorry to everybody.
              Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

It's ironic that his namesake Mr Bean was seen coming down to earth from above in the start of the 1990s comedy episodes he appeared in.

Alan Bean was featured in the Odd One Out round that also featured Wallace and Gromit and Barbara Cartland on Have I Got News For You - he was the odd one out because councils decided to name streets after the other people featured, but a local council (Bristol?) wouldn't name a street after Alan Bean because they said that his name was irrelevant to the local area.
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                  I have been interested in astronomy and space travel since the Apollo coverage in the late 60s/early 70s. In all that time, manned travel to a planet, usually Mars, has always been "20 years away". Even today in 2018, I still here "within 20 years". That also goes for bases on the Moon. I have no doubt that the sheer mindboggling complexity and incredible cost of setting up a Moonbase or sending a manned mission to Mars are very serious obstacles to such projects. The Apollo missions used technology that had to remain reliable for a matter of several weeks. For a mission to Mars, that reliability has to be sustained for a year or so.
                  In a hundred years we will not only have a Moon base for people to travel, but also Man would have visited Mars.
                  I think something remarkable will be discovered in Physics

Comment

There's now Virgin's space travel; Richard Branson's idea

I wonder how much the tickets will be
                    sigpic

Comment

Very sad to hear.
                      R i p alan.
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                      X