Crown Cup Coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crown Cup Coffee

Does anyone remember Crown Cup Coffee? I have been looking at the UK Press Online archive and have come across some adverts for the aforementioned product. It seemed to have been launched in around 1963, but I assume that it was still being made in the early 1970s. The references and advertising tail off towards the end of the 1960s, although I would assume that it would have had a more low key profile in the following decade.

It was made by Brooke Bond and I assume that it represented their main brand of coffee at the time just as much as PG Tips was to their brand of tea.

From the illustrations that I can see, the jars look very similar to Maxwell House, and I assumed that it was Maxwell's predecessor. However, I noticed that Maxwell House was already going strong when Crown Cup was launched. I am certain that Nescafe was already going by then as well, although I am mostly a tea drinker rather than coffee.

I have a feeling that it has been forgotten in time by everyone.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Crown Cup Coffee

Done a quick google and found a picture of a jar of crown coffee . Unfortunately the picture is on a well known photo housing site so not able to borrow it without permission.The jar had distinctive ribbing around the bottom. The bit that rings a bell is the red screw on cap I assume metal with a white crown on it. But I may of seen it somewhere else perhaps car boot sale or browsing something else.

Comment

Working...
    X