Your favourite 1 song - from each decade DYR covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favourite 1 song - from each decade DYR covers

If you can only pick one - like on Castaway Island etc - what'd they be?

Though you can add eqaul ones if you want and alter your thoughts too every so often if your song mood changes too, like I have done

Mine at the moment - would be:

1960s - The Seekers - I'll never Find Another You

1970s Don McClean American Pie in equal position with Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles

1980s (now this' really tough), but it's probably again equal between Bonnie Tyler with Total Eclipse Of The Heart, and The Pet Shop Boys and Dusty Springfield with In Private and Tear For Fears and Everyone Wants To Rule The World (which by shear strangeness was a good song accompnied with a good video for the song - which is highly unusual normaly I think)

1990s (admitted music started to go down the Pan totaly, but there was a few non-descript memorable (sort of hits .... and more so after 1995), but based on The Brit Pop Revolution it's a tie again for me between Oasis and Don't Look Back In Anger - Aka Sally Can Wait and Blur Bitter Sweet Sympothny and Jarvis with Disco 2000 - though it was made 5 years before 200, which seemed crackers at the time I thought

Though for personal memories I think Don't Look Back In Anger shades the other 2 ......... just, as well as the fact I guess Oasis' bad press was justified and may still even be but for me you can say what you want but after The Beatles era etc - talk about Guitaring - Oasis was the best, even though many only term them mediocre at best - their Guitar work still is some of the best in the last 18-25 years I think and especialy compared to the one-hit wonders of these days and the singers who just dordle and/or run their finger along on it to create a bit of a vibe!

80sChav
    Last edited by 80sChav; 04-06-2018, 00:09.

Re: Your favourite 1 song - from each decade DYR covers

I had run out of time as was had to check it out, but I knew that one of Oasis' Songs started idenical to John Lennon's Imagine and it was Don't Look BackIn Anger and as someone once said about Football Managers and trying to be "the new who-ever" not as I think Oasis was trying to copy John and Imagine but to get it so perfect as a new song but have that vibe - just for not a minute is credit in my opinion how good that Guitar Work was - as could arguably be said about people like Duffy and Amy Winehouse having that "1960s Vibe" where the songs sound "rusty" (so to say for want of a better word) like some 60s songs still do!!!

80sChav

Comment

1960s - Don't Throw Your Love Away by the Searchers

1970s - I Can't Give You Anything But My Love by the Stylistics

1980s - Japanese Boy by Aneka

1990s - No Matter What by Boyzone

(He says, checking a website that lists number one hits in order to make sure that the dates are correct).
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

60s - "Heroes and Villains", the Beach Boys
        70s - "The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke", Queen
        80s - "Party Fears Two", the Associates
        90s - "Smooth", Santana

Comment

I have just had a look online - Heroes and Villians got to number 8 in 1967; that Queen song was not a number one either (can't find its chart position). Party Fears Two got to number 9 in 1982, and Smooth was a number 3 hit in 2000. Was Clare was referring to non-UK chart positions as non of those were British number ones?

Unless I misunderstood, I assumed that the OP meant favourite songs from each decade that got to number one in the UK?
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
            I have just had a look online - Heroes and Villians got to number 8 in 1967; that Queen song was not a number one either (can't find its chart position). Party Fears Two got to number 9 in 1982, and Smooth was a number 3 hit in 2000. Was Clare was referring to non-UK chart positions as non of those were British number ones?

Unless I misunderstood, I assumed that the OP meant favourite songs from each decade that got to number one in the UK?
            Sorry, I didn't notice the "!"! I'll rethink.

(The Queen one was an album track.)

Comment

60s - "Good Vibrations", the Beach Boys
              70s - "Rat Trap", Boomtown Rats
              80s - "Geno", Dexys Midnight Runners
              90s - "Country House", Blur

Comment

Yes, all those hits were number ones in their respective decades.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I don't think they need to be number ones as a few of the songs 80sChav mentioned weren't number ones either. It's your favourite 1 song i.e you can only choose one from each decade. This of course makes the task that little bit harder. Need to have a think about this...

Comment

The irony in the first post was that I always thought American Pie was a number one hit, and as it was mentioned above, I had in mind that it was, but of course it only got to number two. I always confuse it with Vincent which did get to number one around the same time.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The irony in the first post was that I always thought American Pie was a number one hit, and as it was mentioned above, I had in mind that it was, but of course it only got to number two. I always confuse it with Vincent which did get to number one around the same time.
                      I always thought American Pie got to number one too. Apparently Vincent was a bigger international hit.

Comment

Here's my list:

1960s - This Old Heart of Mine - The Isley Brothers

1970s - Metal Guru - T.Rex

1980s - Just Like Heaven - The Cure

1990s - Ode To My Family - The Cranberries

Comment

Though Maddonna total re-wrote it's History, did'nt she steer it to Number 1 in 1999/2000 though George?

On a sub-note I hope if it was possible with Don not being as present as he was in the Music Industry that one day he and Maddonna can make a duet of his original version - that would be amazing!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by Homewood View Post
                            Here's my list:

1960s - This Old Heart of Mine - The Isley Brothers

1980s - Just Like Heaven - The Cure

1990s - Ode To My Family - The Cranberries
                            Number 3, 1, 29, and 38 respectively.

Wasn't It's History one of Madonna's albums?
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

If we're just going for number one singles though...

1960s - Mr Tambourine Man - The Byrds

1980s - Under Pressure - Queen and David Bowie

1990s - Fastlove - George Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X