Rear Projection TV's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Projection TV's

Rear projection televisions have three colour guns which display on a white canvas screen; the three primary colours red, yellow & blue to create the image

Mostly found in pubs and community halls. Some of them hang off the ceilings; others are free standing

In the days of Nintendo & Sega game consoles, the manufactures advised against playing them on a rear projection television
    Last edited by Twocky61; 09-06-2018, 09:59.
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Rear Projection TV's

My HE college had a pair of these in AV-equipped lecture rooms in the late 1980s. Very impressive looking free-standing sets with a wood-effect front panel and made by Toshiba. The screens were large and flat so good for use with a whole class but the images were a little dull and grainy I seem to remember.

Comment

A video rentals shop I used in the early to mid 80s had one of these. A large cabinet with a white, slightly curved screen at the back. I must have been in that place literally hundreds of times and not once did I see it in use.

Comment

I've heard of some where the projector doubled up as a coffee table, with the lenses in one of the sides.

The Comet in Stockport had an all in one projection TV in the late 1980s, with a screen that seemed massive at the time.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Before Plasmas and LCD/LED TVs they were the only way to get a big screen TV in your lounge (excluding normal projectors), but yeah they weren't that bright so were best in darker rooms. The RGB bulbs were quite costly too.

When I moved to Australia in 2005 I worked in a store where we still sold them, they ended up being knocked out for super cheap once the plasmas took off.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalBall View Post
            My HE college had a pair of these in AV-equipped lecture rooms in the late 1980s. Very impressive looking free-standing sets with a wood-effect front panel and made by Toshiba. The screens were large and flat so good for use with a whole class but the images were a little dull and grainy I seem to remember.
            There are now RP TV's that aren't TV's; they're projectors. which project the image from a computer; ideal for Power Point presentations
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
              There are now RP TV's that aren't TV's; they're projectors. which project the image from a computer; ideal for Power Point presentations
              When they were new the Dad of one of Sister's friends had one, & apparently it was like having a cinema in your own home when playing DVDs through it.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
              X