Double ended painting pencils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double ended painting pencils

At my Infant School we had jumble sales and as well as buying stuff that others had donated, such as the one that we had between 6.00 pm and 8.00 pm on Friday 9th November 1984, he says from a brilliant memory of the past without writing it down in any diary at all. I remember the clocks had gone back, and my mother taking me down to school in darkness which never usually happened - neither did going to school that late! Very strange seeing our teachers in their usual capacity so late in the day down there.

Anyway, one of the novelty items available at the sales were some unusual pencils that were sharpened at both ends - one end was blue and the other end was yellow, and one had to dip them in water just like paint brushes for them to work for colouring in - they did make a watery mess on the page I remember. Someone even made a successful green colour by mixing them together at the same time.

They also had these mysterious colouring in pencils that were unsharpened, and in order to find out what colour they were, one had to sharpen them to find out - sometimes it was a surprise as what colour it actually was! They looked like a plain beige colour at the side, but that did not indicate what colour it was.

They were around in schools and the like in the mid 1980s and I am certain that craft shops and stationery shops also sold them. Then they disappeared and no one saw them.

Anyone remember those painting pencils, or mystery colour pencils?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Double ended painting pencils

Surely I am not the only person who remembers them?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

You can still buy them. Been around for as long as I remember. Both the normal double ended pencils and the water soluble type double ended pencils. I can remember loosing one behind my nans sofa way back in the early 70's then having to wait till I went on holiday a year later to get the pencil back.

Comment

My memory is hazy but I think I had some of the painting pencils. They didn’t get a lot of use though because of the mess. Mine weren’t double ended though.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember those mystery ones, it was exciting waiting to see what colour you were going to get.

Comment

Working...
          X