Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Channel 4

Default Channel 4

Here in the UK we have five main television channels:

BBC1 was launched 1936

BBC2 was launched 1964

ITV1 was launched 1955

Channel 4 launched 1982
    The first programme was the quiz show Countdown. Later C4 commissioned the soap Brookside

Channel 5 was launched 1995

We now have many channels on Freeview, since we had the switchover from analogue to digital transmission

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Default Re: Channel 4

I'm pretty sure Brookside was shown on the first day of transmission of Ch4.
    We watched it.
    As for the multiple channels now available: so much choice, but very little worth watching?

Yes I think you're correct Buchollz.

Along with Countdown Brookside was on the first day IIRC

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

And Channel 5 started in 1997 - around Easter.

That's it David; 1997

1995 was probably when Channel 5 were granted their license

Channel 5 also had a bit of a struggle with their broadcasting license as they were set to broadcast on the same frequency a lot of VCRs were tuned to for playback, meaning that the signals would interfere. I have a couple of tapes with some early Channel 5 stuff on them, mostly travel programmes but also an episode of Water Rats.

I was at Uni in Swansea when C4 was launched, except it wasn't there! They had (have?) S4C - Sianel Pedwar Cymru (excuse spelling) - i.e. Channel Four Wales, a Welsh-language-dominated version! Not great when their were only 3 others and that to choose from!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMort View Post
    Channel 5 also had a bit of a struggle with their broadcasting license as they were set to broadcast on the same frequency a lot of VCRs were tuned to for playback, meaning that the signals would interfere. I have a couple of tapes with some early Channel 5 stuff on them, mostly travel programmes but also an episode of Water Rats.
    I remember my Gran's video had to be re-tuned as Channel 5 was on the same frequency. There was a sticker in the back with the logo on to show it had been adjusted.

Where I lived the signal was OK to watch off-air, but looked very fuzzy when videoed. My bother used to tape Twin Peaks & found it even more hard to watch than it normally was!
    The Trickster On The Roof

Thumbs down Re: Channel 4

Quote Originally Posted by Buchholz View Post
    I'm pretty sure Brookside was shown on the first day of transmission of Ch4.
    We watched it.
    As for the multiple channels now available: so much choice, but very little worth watching?
    This is so true, i think i was happier with 3 channels, so much **** to wade through these days i usually switch off and listen to spotify which for 10 a month represents much better value than my 60 per month tv subscription.

I don't have enough time to watch TV to justify getting a subscription apart from with Netflix, otherwise Freeview is sufficient.
    The Trickster On The Roof