Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Channel 4

Default Re: Channel 4

Quote Originally Posted by davidthomas27 View Post
    And Channel 5 started in 1997 - around Easter.
    Easter Sunday itself at 6.00 pm, although it was due to launch on New Year's Day that year, but due to the retuning of people's VCRs, the launch was delayed until Easter.

Does anyone remember the re-tuners who came to people's addresses in 1996 and early 1997? - even Jack Docherty parodied them on his chat show

Ironically, I did think that we would be eating Easter Eggs by the time it launched, and I was right.

I had on tape the ITN News at 5:40 from the date when Channel 5 won the licence for the new channel. John Suchet linked into a news report where we saw Greg Dyke and a few others waiting for a fax with the ITC logo come out of a fax machine, and when it revealed that they had got the contract, there were cheers of "we won", and the opening of champagne and all that.
    Last edited by George 1978; 21-06-2018 at 04:44.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Also, I had the first four hours of Channel 5's programmes from the launch night including the very first Family Affairs, but unfortunately it got chewed up in the machine a few months later. I remember telephoning the Channel 5 Duty Office to prove how well I had been watching the night before... And of course, the very first advert was for Chanel No. 5 - of course.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Also, I had the first four hours of Channel 5's programmes from the launch night including the very first Family Affairs, but unfortunately it got chewed up in the machine a few months later. I remember telephoning the Channel 5 Duty Office to prove how well I had been watching the night before... And of course, the very first advert was for Chanel No. 5 - of course.
    I remember the had a one-off comedy called Hospital, with a few famous faces.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Channel 5 is where Keith Chegwin appeared after his stint on Multi Coloured Swapshop

Not seen Keith in anything else though

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I remember the had a one-off comedy called Hospital, with a few famous faces.
    The late Hywel "Shelley" Bennett was one of them - it seemed to be a poor man's Only When I Laugh.

& of course both Neighbours & Home & Away moved from BBC1 to Channel 5

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

I remember tuning in for the launch of Channel 4. On the second night of transmission, P'tang Yang Kipperbang (written by Jack Rosenthal and directed by Michael Apted) was shown as part of the channel's First Love season. I was able to stay up past my bedtime to watch it. It's still one of my favourite films. Here is the tv schedule for Channel 4 on November 2, 1982:
    4.45pm - Countdown
    5.15pm - Preview Four
    5.30pm - The Body Show
    6.00pm - People's Court
    6.30pm - Book Four
    7.00pm - News
    8.00pm - Brookside
    8.30pm - The Paul Hogan Show
    9.00pm - Film: Walter (1982)
    10.15pm - The Comic Strip Presents... Five Go Mad in Dorset
    10.45pm - In the Pink
    11.50pm - Close

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    And of course, the very first advert was for Chanel No. 5 - of course.
    Naturally

Quote Originally Posted by Homewood View Post
    I remember tuning in for the launch of Channel 4. On the second night of transmission, P'tang Yang Kipperbang (written by Jack Rosenthal and directed by Michael Apted) was shown as part of the channel's First Love season. I was able to stay up past my bedtime to watch it. It's still one of my favourite films. Here is the tv schedule for Channel 4 on November 2, 1982:
    4.45pm - Countdown
    5.15pm - Preview Four
    5.30pm - The Body Show
    6.00pm - People's Court
    6.30pm - Book Four
    7.00pm - News
    8.00pm - Brookside
    8.30pm - The Paul Hogan Show
    9.00pm - Film: Walter (1982)
    10.15pm - The Comic Strip Presents... Five Go Mad in Dorset
    10.45pm - In the Pink
    11.50pm - Close
    P'tang yang kipperbang is a brilliant film, in a similar vein to "kes" but ofcourse our heroes love lies with a different kind of bird!

Quote Originally Posted by Twocky61 View Post
    & of course both Neighbours & Home & Away moved from BBC1 to Channel 5
    Home and Away moved from ITV to Channel 5 - Central, Anglia and one or two others shown it at 6.00 pm, so the fact that Channel 5 also shown it at that time was quite useful to viewers.