• Show
Clear All

• Channel 4

Here in the UK we have five main television channels:

BBC1 was launched 1936

BBC2 was launched 1964

ITV1 was launched 1955

Channel 4 launched 1982
    The first programme was the quiz show Countdown. Later C4 commissioned the soap Brookside

Channel 5 was launched 1995

We now have many channels on Freeview, since we had the switchover from analogue to digital transmission
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Channel 4

I'm pretty sure Brookside was shown on the first day of transmission of Ch4.
    We watched it.
    As for the multiple channels now available: so much choice, but very little worth watching?

Comment

Yes I think you're correct Buchollz.

Along with Countdown Brookside was on the first day IIRC
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

And Channel 5 started in 1997 - around Easter.

Comment

That's it David; 1997

1995 was probably when Channel 5 were granted their license
          sigpic

Comment

Channel 5 also had a bit of a struggle with their broadcasting license as they were set to broadcast on the same frequency a lot of VCRs were tuned to for playback, meaning that the signals would interfere. I have a couple of tapes with some early Channel 5 stuff on them, mostly travel programmes but also an episode of Water Rats.

Comment

I was at Uni in Swansea when C4 was launched, except it wasn't there! They had (have?) S4C - Sianel Pedwar Cymru (excuse spelling) - i.e. Channel Four Wales, a Welsh-language-dominated version! Not great when their were only 3 others and that to choose from!
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by MiniMort View Post
                Channel 5 also had a bit of a struggle with their broadcasting license as they were set to broadcast on the same frequency a lot of VCRs were tuned to for playback, meaning that the signals would interfere. I have a couple of tapes with some early Channel 5 stuff on them, mostly travel programmes but also an episode of Water Rats.
                I remember my Gran's video had to be re-tuned as Channel 5 was on the same frequency. There was a sticker in the back with the logo on to show it had been adjusted.

Where I lived the signal was OK to watch off-air, but looked very fuzzy when videoed. My bother used to tape Twin Peaks & found it even more hard to watch than it normally was!
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Buchholz View Post
                  I'm pretty sure Brookside was shown on the first day of transmission of Ch4.
                  We watched it.
                  As for the multiple channels now available: so much choice, but very little worth watching?
                  This is so true, i think i was happier with 3 channels, so much **** to wade through these days i usually switch off and listen to spotify which for £10 a month represents much better value than my £60 per month tv subscription.
                  Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I don't have enough time to watch TV to justify getting a subscription apart from with Netflix, otherwise Freeview is sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by davidthomas27 View Post
                      And Channel 5 started in 1997 - around Easter.
                      Easter Sunday itself at 6.00 pm, although it was due to launch on New Year's Day that year, but due to the retuning of people's VCRs, the launch was delayed until Easter.

Does anyone remember the re-tuners who came to people's addresses in 1996 and early 1997? - even Jack Docherty parodied them on his chat show

Ironically, I did think that we would be eating Easter Eggs by the time it launched, and I was right.

I had on tape the ITN News at 5:40 from the date when Channel 5 won the licence for the new channel. John Suchet linked into a news report where we saw Greg Dyke and a few others waiting for a fax with the ITC logo come out of a fax machine, and when it revealed that they had got the contract, there were cheers of "we won", and the opening of champagne and all that.
                      Last edited by George 1978; 21-06-2018, 04:44.
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Also, I had the first four hours of Channel 5's programmes from the launch night including the very first Family Affairs, but unfortunately it got chewed up in the machine a few months later. I remember telephoning the Channel 5 Duty Office to prove how well I had been watching the night before... And of course, the very first advert was for Chanel No. 5 - of course.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                          Also, I had the first four hours of Channel 5's programmes from the launch night including the very first Family Affairs, but unfortunately it got chewed up in the machine a few months later. I remember telephoning the Channel 5 Duty Office to prove how well I had been watching the night before... And of course, the very first advert was for Chanel No. 5 - of course.
                          I remember the had a one-off comedy called Hospital, with a few famous faces.

Comment

Channel 5 is where Keith Chegwin appeared after his stint on Multi Coloured Swapshop

Not seen Keith in anything else though
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                              I remember the had a one-off comedy called Hospital, with a few famous faces.
                              The late Hywel "Shelley" Bennett was one of them - it seemed to be a poor man's Only When I Laugh.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                              X