Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Afternoon Kids Programmes

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
    Nowadays, with dedicated television channels, events rarely kick out regular programming
    Sometimes Children's BBC would be moved to BBC2 on budget day or other scheduled special events.

The 5:35 slot used to be often used for event news pre-neighbours, I remember the Go For It presentation team joking about being displaced by the 1986 World Cup highlights.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I used to like that slot, the last vestige of children's TV before the boring News! Sir Prancelot, The Herbs (then spinoff Hector's House) etc...
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
        I used to like that slot, the last vestige of children's TV before the boring News! Sir Prancelot, The Herbs (then spinoff Hector's House) etc...
        & that iconic series Magic Roundabout

When it was syndicated from French television to British, it was re-written by Eric Thompson, who decided he wanted to write new English-language scripts, that bore little relation to the original storylines
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

It really used to brass me off when my favourite programmes were replaced by some blokes sitting in a studio talking about inflation and the money supply.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
            That was a good series. I particularly liked the early episodes depicting the breakdown of society.
            I just loved the bit where a tramp was driving a Rolls Royce lol
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I've been searching through the Glasgow Herald archives for the year 1980 and i've compiled a list of kids weekday programmes from the tv schedules. Thought I'd post it here:

BBC1 Jackanory, Captain Caveman, Why Don't You?, Magic Roundabout, Mickey Mouse Club, Heads and Tails, Play School, Deputy Dawg, Screen Test, John Craven's Newsround, Blue Peter, Mister Men, The All New Popeye Show, Johnny Ball Games, Touche Turtle, The Perishers, Trumpton, Yogi Bear, Animal Magic, Grange Hill, Pixie and Dixie, Take Hart, Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle, You and Me, Playboard, Hong Kong Phooey, The Robonic Stooges, Star Turn, Roobarb, Heyy, It's the King!, Paddington, Rentaghost, Secret Squirrel, Lassie, Cheggers Plays Pop, Godzilla, The Flumps, The Space Sentinels, Mister Benn, Graham's Gang, Camberwick Green, The Record Breakers, The Wonderful World of Disney, The Perils of Penelope Pitstop, Think of a Number, Baggy Pants and the Nitwits, Captain Pugwash, Maxidog, Daffy Duck, Joey and Redhawk, The Red Hand Gang, The Wombles, Jigsaw, Fingerbobs, Huntingtower, Buford Files and Dinky Dog, We Are The Champions, Go With Noakes, Battle of the Planets, Stopwatch, Grandad, Playaway, Puzzle Trail, Crackerjack, Winsome Witch, Jana of the Jungle, Undercover Elephant, Mighty Mouse, Heidi, Bagpuss, The Amazing Adventures of Morph, The Banana Splits, A Little Silver Trumpet, Spine Chillers, The Singing Ringing Tree

BBC2 Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe, Monkey, Charlie Brown, Harold Lloyd, Laurel and Hardy, The Paul Daniels Magic Show

ITV (STV region) The Sooty Show, The Book Tower, Logan's Run, The Flockton Flyer, Magpie, The Muppet Show, Jamie and the Magic Torch, Rainbow, Clapperboard, The Ravelled Thread, The Bubblies, Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings, Pipkins, Cabagges and Kings, The Adventures of Rupert Bear, Topper's Tales, Stepping Stones, Larry the Lamb, The Tomorrow People, The Secret Lives of Waldo Kitty, Get it Together, Jukes of Piccadilly, Shadows, Enid Blyton's Famous Five, Noah's Castle, The Boy Merlin, Mork and Mindy, Little Vic, Worzel Gummidge, The Latchkey Children, Dynomutt - the Dog Wonder, Runaround, The Whisper of Glocken, Maggie's Moor, How, Kidnapped, Fangface, Smith and Goody, Sally and Jake, The Adventures of Black Beauty

Comment

Was Cabbages and Kings (the Granada programme hosted by Nigel "Graffiti" Rees) a children's programme? I thought it was a TV equivalent of Radio 4's Quote Unquote. I know that it was scheduled close to children's programmes but I don't think that it was one.
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                  Was Cabbages and Kings (the Granada programme hosted by Nigel "Graffiti" Rees) a children's programme? I thought it was a TV equivalent of Radio 4's Quote Unquote. I know that it was scheduled close to children's programmes but I don't think that it was one.
                  Not entirely sure but I think the programme listed here is the one with Derek Griffiths, Johnny Ball and Julie Stevens, originally shown in the 1970s. I think the series was probably repeated in 1980.

Comment

You had listed it amongst a few ITV programmes in which I assumed that you were referring to the Granada version.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Homewood View Post
                      I've been searching through the Glasgow Herald archives for the year 1980 and i've compiled a list of kids weekday programmes from the tv schedules. Thought I'd post it here:

BBC1 Jackanory, Captain Caveman, Why Don't You?, Magic Roundabout, Mickey Mouse Club, Heads and Tails, Play School, Deputy Dawg, Screen Test, John Craven's Newsround, Blue Peter, Mister Men, The All New Popeye Show, Johnny Ball Games, Touche Turtle, The Perishers, Trumpton, Yogi Bear, Animal Magic, Grange Hill, Pixie and Dixie, Take Hart, Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle, You and Me, Playboard, Hong Kong Phooey, The Robonic Stooges, Star Turn, Roobarb, Heyy, It's the King!, Paddington, Rentaghost, Secret Squirrel, Lassie, Cheggers Plays Pop, Godzilla, The Flumps, The Space Sentinels, Mister Benn, Graham's Gang, Camberwick Green, The Record Breakers, The Wonderful World of Disney, The Perils of Penelope Pitstop, Think of a Number, Baggy Pants and the Nitwits, Captain Pugwash, Maxidog, Daffy Duck, Joey and Redhawk, The Red Hand Gang, The Wombles, Jigsaw, Fingerbobs, Huntingtower, Buford Files and Dinky Dog, We Are The Champions, Go With Noakes, Battle of the Planets, Stopwatch, Grandad, Playaway, Puzzle Trail, Crackerjack, Winsome Witch, Jana of the Jungle, Undercover Elephant, Mighty Mouse, Heidi, Bagpuss, The Amazing Adventures of Morph, The Banana Splits, A Little Silver Trumpet, Spine Chillers, The Singing Ringing Tree

BBC2 Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe, Monkey, Charlie Brown, Harold Lloyd, Laurel and Hardy, The Paul Daniels Magic Show

ITV (STV region) The Sooty Show, The Book Tower, Logan's Run, The Flockton Flyer, Magpie, The Muppet Show, Jamie and the Magic Torch, Rainbow, Clapperboard, The Ravelled Thread, The Bubblies, Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings, Pipkins, Cabagges and Kings, The Adventures of Rupert Bear, Topper's Tales, Stepping Stones, Larry the Lamb, The Tomorrow People, The Secret Lives of Waldo Kitty, Get it Together, Jukes of Piccadilly, Shadows, Enid Blyton's Famous Five, Noah's Castle, The Boy Merlin, Mork and Mindy, Little Vic, Worzel Gummidge, The Latchkey Children, Dynomutt - the Dog Wonder, Runaround, The Whisper of Glocken, Maggie's Moor, How, Kidnapped, Fangface, Smith and Goody, Sally and Jake, The Adventures of Black Beauty
                      Hey Homewood, im surprised to see the "singing ringing tree" was shown in 1980, i remember watching this in the 60s....i still have nightmares!
                      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

The Paul Daniels Magic Show wasn't a children's television programme either - it may have been repeated on BBC 2 during the summer, but it was first shown on BBC 1.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                          You had listed it amongst a few ITV programmes in which I assumed that you were referring to the Granada version.
                          Actually, you're correct. Cabbages and Kings, the 1970s series I was thinking of, was a BBC programme. I didn't realise that which is why I included it. The ITV programme listed will no doubt be the tv adaptation of the radio gameshow you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                            Hey Homewood, im surprised to see the "singing ringing tree" was shown in 1980, i remember watching this in the 60s....i still have nightmares!
                            I was surprised to see it listed too. It must've been repeated. I have never seen The Singing Ringing Tree but I know a few people who did watch it and it had a similar effect on them

Comment

Originally posted by Homewood View Post
                              I was surprised to see it listed too. It must've been repeated. I have never seen The Singing Ringing Tree but I know a few people who did watch it and it had a similar effect on them
                              yes i remember it in black and white but when i bought the dvd it was colour,ofcourse this was because we had a b&w telly
                              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Working...
                              X