Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Afternoon Kids Programmes

Default Re: Afternoon Kids Programmes

I've been searching through the Glasgow Herald archives for the year 1980 and i've compiled a list of kids weekday programmes from the tv schedules. Thought I'd post it here:

BBC1 Jackanory, Captain Caveman, Why Don't You?, Magic Roundabout, Mickey Mouse Club, Heads and Tails, Play School, Deputy Dawg, Screen Test, John Craven's Newsround, Blue Peter, Mister Men, The All New Popeye Show, Johnny Ball Games, Touche Turtle, The Perishers, Trumpton, Yogi Bear, Animal Magic, Grange Hill, Pixie and Dixie, Take Hart, Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle, You and Me, Playboard, Hong Kong Phooey, The Robonic Stooges, Star Turn, Roobarb, Heyy, It's the King!, Paddington, Rentaghost, Secret Squirrel, Lassie, Cheggers Plays Pop, Godzilla, The Flumps, The Space Sentinels, Mister Benn, Graham's Gang, Camberwick Green, The Record Breakers, The Wonderful World of Disney, The Perils of Penelope Pitstop, Think of a Number, Baggy Pants and the Nitwits, Captain Pugwash, Maxidog, Daffy Duck, Joey and Redhawk, The Red Hand Gang, The Wombles, Jigsaw, Fingerbobs, Huntingtower, Buford Files and Dinky Dog, We Are The Champions, Go With Noakes, Battle of the Planets, Stopwatch, Grandad, Playaway, Puzzle Trail, Crackerjack, Winsome Witch, Jana of the Jungle, Undercover Elephant, Mighty Mouse, Heidi, Bagpuss, The Amazing Adventures of Morph, The Banana Splits, A Little Silver Trumpet, Spine Chillers, The Singing Ringing Tree

BBC2 Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe, Monkey, Charlie Brown, Harold Lloyd, Laurel and Hardy, The Paul Daniels Magic Show

ITV (STV region) The Sooty Show, The Book Tower, Logan's Run, The Flockton Flyer, Magpie, The Muppet Show, Jamie and the Magic Torch, Rainbow, Clapperboard, The Ravelled Thread, The Bubblies, Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings, Pipkins, Cabagges and Kings, The Adventures of Rupert Bear, Topper's Tales, Stepping Stones, Larry the Lamb, The Tomorrow People, The Secret Lives of Waldo Kitty, Get it Together, Jukes of Piccadilly, Shadows, Enid Blyton's Famous Five, Noah's Castle, The Boy Merlin, Mork and Mindy, Little Vic, Worzel Gummidge, The Latchkey Children, Dynomutt - the Dog Wonder, Runaround, The Whisper of Glocken, Maggie's Moor, How, Kidnapped, Fangface, Smith and Goody, Sally and Jake, The Adventures of Black Beauty

Was Cabbages and Kings (the Granada programme hosted by Nigel "Graffiti" Rees) a children's programme? I thought it was a TV equivalent of Radio 4's Quote Unquote. I know that it was scheduled close to children's programmes but I don't think that it was one.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Was Cabbages and Kings (the Granada programme hosted by Nigel "Graffiti" Rees) a children's programme? I thought it was a TV equivalent of Radio 4's Quote Unquote. I know that it was scheduled close to children's programmes but I don't think that it was one.
    Not entirely sure but I think the programme listed here is the one with Derek Griffiths, Johnny Ball and Julie Stevens, originally shown in the 1970s. I think the series was probably repeated in 1980.

You had listed it amongst a few ITV programmes in which I assumed that you were referring to the Granada version.

Quote Originally Posted by Homewood View Post
    I've been searching through the Glasgow Herald archives for the year 1980 and i've compiled a list of kids weekday programmes from the tv schedules. Thought I'd post it here:

BBC1 Jackanory, Captain Caveman, Why Don't You?, Magic Roundabout, Mickey Mouse Club, Heads and Tails, Play School, Deputy Dawg, Screen Test, John Craven's Newsround, Blue Peter, Mister Men, The All New Popeye Show, Johnny Ball Games, Touche Turtle, The Perishers, Trumpton, Yogi Bear, Animal Magic, Grange Hill, Pixie and Dixie, Take Hart, Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle, You and Me, Playboard, Hong Kong Phooey, The Robonic Stooges, Star Turn, Roobarb, Heyy, It's the King!, Paddington, Rentaghost, Secret Squirrel, Lassie, Cheggers Plays Pop, Godzilla, The Flumps, The Space Sentinels, Mister Benn, Graham's Gang, Camberwick Green, The Record Breakers, The Wonderful World of Disney, The Perils of Penelope Pitstop, Think of a Number, Baggy Pants and the Nitwits, Captain Pugwash, Maxidog, Daffy Duck, Joey and Redhawk, The Red Hand Gang, The Wombles, Jigsaw, Fingerbobs, Huntingtower, Buford Files and Dinky Dog, We Are The Champions, Go With Noakes, Battle of the Planets, Stopwatch, Grandad, Playaway, Puzzle Trail, Crackerjack, Winsome Witch, Jana of the Jungle, Undercover Elephant, Mighty Mouse, Heidi, Bagpuss, The Amazing Adventures of Morph, The Banana Splits, A Little Silver Trumpet, Spine Chillers, The Singing Ringing Tree

BBC2 Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe, Monkey, Charlie Brown, Harold Lloyd, Laurel and Hardy, The Paul Daniels Magic Show

ITV (STV region) The Sooty Show, The Book Tower, Logan's Run, The Flockton Flyer, Magpie, The Muppet Show, Jamie and the Magic Torch, Rainbow, Clapperboard, The Ravelled Thread, The Bubblies, Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings, Pipkins, Cabagges and Kings, The Adventures of Rupert Bear, Topper's Tales, Stepping Stones, Larry the Lamb, The Tomorrow People, The Secret Lives of Waldo Kitty, Get it Together, Jukes of Piccadilly, Shadows, Enid Blyton's Famous Five, Noah's Castle, The Boy Merlin, Mork and Mindy, Little Vic, Worzel Gummidge, The Latchkey Children, Dynomutt - the Dog Wonder, Runaround, The Whisper of Glocken, Maggie's Moor, How, Kidnapped, Fangface, Smith and Goody, Sally and Jake, The Adventures of Black Beauty
    Hey Homewood, im surprised to see the "singing ringing tree" was shown in 1980, i remember watching this in the 60s....i still have nightmares!

The Paul Daniels Magic Show wasn't a children's television programme either - it may have been repeated on BBC 2 during the summer, but it was first shown on BBC 1.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    You had listed it amongst a few ITV programmes in which I assumed that you were referring to the Granada version.
    Actually, you're correct. Cabbages and Kings, the 1970s series I was thinking of, was a BBC programme. I didn't realise that which is why I included it. The ITV programme listed will no doubt be the tv adaptation of the radio gameshow you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Hey Homewood, im surprised to see the "singing ringing tree" was shown in 1980, i remember watching this in the 60s....i still have nightmares!
    I was surprised to see it listed too. It must've been repeated. I have never seen The Singing Ringing Tree but I know a few people who did watch it and it had a similar effect on them

Quote Originally Posted by Homewood View Post
    I was surprised to see it listed too. It must've been repeated. I have never seen The Singing Ringing Tree but I know a few people who did watch it and it had a similar effect on them
    yes i remember it in black and white but when i bought the dvd it was colour,ofcourse this was because we had a b&w telly