Afternoon Kids Programmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afternoon Kids Programmes

Danielle Nicholls & Tommy Boyd (he of Magpie fame) presented the daily afternoon kids programmes on ITV

BBC1 had their kids programmes week day afternoons too

All daily children's programmes have since moved to their own dedicated television channels (CBBC & CBeebies from BBC1 & CITV from ITV

Who remembers what programmes were on before they moved to their dedicated channel's?

One particular one I remember was Children's Ward; a kids version of Casualty
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Afternoon Kids Programmes

It was worth watching CITV just to see Danielle Nicholls, especially in those Miss Fortune denim skirts circa 1998 - she was like an adult woman in the body of a teenage girl! It's amazing that she was on there with Stephen Mulhern considering how mainstream he is as a presenter these days - in hindsight it is like Bob Monkhouse being a CITV presenter!

Does anyone remember the monthly presenters? Matthew Kelly was the first one, followed by Isla St Clair. Others were Tommy Boyd, The Krankies, Marmalade Atkins, and Rod Hull and Emu did December 1985 - obviously pre-recorded links because they were in panto at the Nottingham Theatre Royal that year! Programme-wise, speaking of Rod and Emu, there was Emu's World (sometimes called the Pink Windmill Show); and an afternoon repeat of Rainbow on Fridays.

Children's Ward (aka The Ward) reminded me of that Granada series Three Seven Eleven (although written in a "dinnerladies" or "tom thumb" lower case). It was on in 1993-1994 and was like a Primary School equivalent of Grange Hill.

There were others of course...
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I didn't watch CITV much, but I did see "Children's Ward" occasionally, and "Press Gang" (with Julia Sawalha). Generally I preferred the BBC. "Grange Hill", which I've been watching on Youtube lately. The Gonch years were the best, IMHO!

Comment

I was normally in the BBC camp but would switch over to CITV if there was something good on like Danger Mousse, H-Man & Inspector Gadget, or CBBC was showing something boring.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My memories of children's TV afternoon programmes are from the 60s and 70s, long before CITV and CBBC.

The Tomorrow People, Pardon My Genie, Robert's Robots, The Freewheelers, The Secret Service, Little Big Time, Junior Showtime, Jumbleland, Crackerjack, Magpie, Blue Peter, Kids from 47A, Lift-Off with Ayesha, Shang-a-Lang, Soldier and Me, Wacky Races, Perils of Penelope Pitstop, Stop the Pigeon, Ace of Wands, Shadows, Children of the Stones, Escape into Night, Eagle of the Ninth, Arthur of the Britons, Feathered Serpent, Timeslip. I also remember The Time Tunnel and Lost in Space being shown during the children's afternoon slot.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
            The Tomorrow People. The Freewheelers, Crackerjack, Magpie, Blue Peter, Kids from 47A, Lift-Off with Wacky Races, Perils of Penelope Pitstop, Stop the Pigeon, Ace of Wands, The Time Tunnel and Lost in Space being shown during the children's afternoon slot.
            Love all those programmes Staffslad

I remember on Time Tunnel. when the two guys returned to HQ. their reality runs faster than those in the control room. So to the two guys everyone in the control room are like statues, whereas to those in the control room they don't see the two guys
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Free Wheelers & Ace of Wands

Weird those two. I forget the plot but I remember both of them being rather surreal
              sigpic

Comment

I think I remember that episode of Time Tunnel. The series started off with mainly historical adventures for Doug and Tony, but by the end it had lapsed into aliens and fantasy. Notice that the two guys always wore the same clothes week after week. Doug wore the Edwardian suit he used when rescueing Tony from the Titanic in episode 1 and Tony wore that greenish turtle neck top. Lee Meriwether played, I think, Ann--she was Catwoman in the Adam West Batman film--sadly she was mainly in a lab coat in Time Tunnel, so we didn't get to see her superb figure.

Anyone remember Arthur of the Britons with Oliver Tobias as King Arthur? It was shown in the early 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                  Notice that the two guys always wore the same clothes week after week. Doug wore the Edwardian suit he used when rescueing Tony from the Titanic in episode 1 and Tony wore that greenish turtle neck top.
                  They must have been smelly lol

Re. time travel:

I would have thought if you, say, go back in time 6pm on a Friday you would naturally return at that moment; appearing to anyone else you didn't go anywhere
                  sigpic

Comment

Ace of Wands was very strange at times, that's very true.

Freewheelers was a kind of spy show, with teenagers working for British Intelligence foiling various dastardly schemes. One of the main villans was an ex-Nazi and the show used extensively the OB boat that Southern TV once owned.

Note how many of these shows had quite scary premises and scenes that wouldn't be shown today. Escape into Night, Shadows, Ace of Wands, Timeslip and others all had quite frightening scenes at times.

Some more...

Orlando, Partridge Family, Adventures of Rupert Bear, Animal Magic, Carrie's War, Catweazle, Follyfoot, Get it Together, Grasshopper Island, How!, Raven, Runaround, The Changes, The Georgian House, Michael Bentine's Potty Time (very odd), Simon and the Witch, Lizzie Dripping.

Comment

One scary series I remember though not a kid's programme

Survivors

The theme tune was scary enough on its own; never mind the contents of this drama
                      sigpic

Comment

Round the Bend.
                        Jeep Swenson January 5th 1957 - August 18 1997.

Comment

Some great selections, kids!
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                            One scary series I remember though not a kid's programme

Survivors

The theme tune was scary enough on its own; never mind the contents of this drama

That was a good series. I particularly liked the early episodes depicting the breakdown of society.

In the 1970s the Budget was announced in Parliament later than now, and children's programmes would be cancelled to present coverage on BBC1 and ITV.

Comment

Nowadays, with dedicated television channels, events rarely kick out regular programming
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X