Thread: Lifts/Elevators

Default Lifts/Elevators

Who remembers those cage lifts that had metal cage doors which you had to open manually?

There are still a few about, used as goods/freight lifts

Then there were those pairs of lifts adjacent to each other in tower blocks.

One served the even floors; the other the odd floors; both serving the ground floor and the roof foyer

The door to the roof was usually locked; but not in all tower blocks

My then girlfriend and I would be on the roof watching the world go by sharing a bag of chips & snogging Dead romantic was that lol

Of course nowadays, with our 'Elf & Safety' legislation, all roof doors have to be locked; what with the suicide implications

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lifts.jpg  
    Last edited by Twocky61; 3 Weeks Ago at 14:57.

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Default Re: Lifts/Elevators

When I visited London for the very first time with school in 1988, we went in a lift in a place we were visiting, and as a result we found that a girl in our class had a phobia of lifts - she was crying and shaking when we got in and it started to move, and most of us didn't even know she had this phobia until we went in that lift.
    I am a man (just in case anyone asks).

Nice lifts in Harrod's...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Now we have high speed lifts; especially in tower blocks in the US

Way back sometime, there were even continuous lifts which were similar to escalators

So, if the lift is going up, you need to get off by the time it reaches the top floor & vice versa; as when it hits the top of the shaft it rotates and goes down & going down the reverse happens

Obviously they were superseded by lifts as we know them now

And just think if we still had them today

The Elf & Safety would be all over it

Still, I know I would love to ride one so I can go the other direction upside down

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Fantastic thread/ and find re the picture here O.P -Bwhat memories indeed hey!

I recall a lift (from about 7 years a-go that still had opening facility's and you had to operate it in a extremley unorthdox way)

It was based on the M6 Southbound nr Knutsford and the thing frightened the living daylights out of me .... never would I use that - even if I had 500 stairs to climb and it took my all day or all week even!!

80sChav

30 years ago I use to work at a place where a lift with a cage was operated. However, it was only to be used for tranporting material to different floors and not for persons to travel in.
    I recall one had to often force the cage to ensure that the lift would operate. If the cage was not fully engaged then the lift would not work.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sChav View Post
    Fantastic thread/ and find re the picture here O.P -Bwhat memories indeed hey!

I recall a lift (from about 7 years a-go that still had opening facility's and you had to operate it in a extremley unorthdox way)

It was based on the M6 Southbound nr Knutsford and the thing frightened the living daylights out of me .... never would I use that - even if I had 500 stairs to climb and it took my all day or all week even!!

80sChav
    Similar to the tower lift at Forton M6 Northbound

Ages ago the tower was closed to the public, but......................

If you get the lift to the floor above the retail floors, you could walk up the rest of the way

Coming down you can use the fire escape stairs coming out of an emergency door at the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Twocky61 View Post
    Similar to the tower lift at Forton M6 Northbound

Ages ago the tower was closed to the public, but......................

If you get the lift to the floor above the retail floors, you could walk up the rest of the way

Coming down you can use the fire escape stairs coming out of an emergency door at the bottom
    They entire place (both sides) should be condemmed as a death trap feel as the lifts are of an extremley dangerous nature I would say Twocky!!

How they have survived so long is a mystery!!

80sChav

Maybe Forton; the tower side at least, is a listed building lol