Heatwaves and Hot Summers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heatwaves and Hot Summers

76' was the year that the river Biss in the middle of my home town pretty much dried up and they had people in what was left of the river rescuing the fish and moving them further up steam. I can remember the Ladybird invasion. Every night there seemed to be a terrific thunderstorm especially when the hot summer virtually broke. Town park had no lawn left, it was all burnt yellow. I spent the summer building dens in shaded areas trying to escape the worse of the heat. I also think the hot summer lead to a potato shortage which forced a portion of chips up from 2 and half pence to 10 pence over night. I can remember being given 10p for 4 portions only to be able to bring home a single portion of chips and getting into trouble because dad thought I had spent the rest of the money.

Comment

In 1976 there were some very impressive thunderstorms over night during the heatwave although I do not remember it raining much during them. One was when the travelling Fair was on the recreation ground in front of where I lived, those poor people in their caravans whilst all hell was let loose.

It was really weird when the heatwave finally ended one afternoon in August, it got really dark and there were bats flying about as they must have thought it was night time. When it started to rain, it was torrential and there was thunder and lightning but we didn't care and we just ran around in it getting soaked.

Comment

"The summer of '76," has it is best remembered. It was a seriously hot, and dry summer. The drought actually started back in September/October 1975. The big heatwave of July and August was the icing on the cake.

The effects of this drought, huge cracks in parched ground, were visible for a long time afterwards.

I well remember the river, near where I lived, resembling nothing more than a stream. Mountain streams dried up completely.

People sitting outside their homes at 11pm in deck chairs, it was too hot to go to bed.

Trains and buses were not washed on the outside for weeks because of the water shortage.

Beaches were packed with sunbathers.
        Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I remember someone being interviewed about the summer of 1976 mentioned he ended up sleeping in a tent for weeks because the inside of his house was too hot, & the ground dried up so much one wall subsided enough to cause some damage.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I was just thinking right now that it's almost a year to the day that I started this thread, and the weather outside is sweltering.

It is hotter than this time last year.
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

..... It's the end of the world!!
              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                It's the end of work for most people.
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Despite the fact your forecast temperatures this week are the same as our winter ones it doesn't stop me feeling very hot when i'm back there in summer.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                    ...as we know it!

Attached Files
                    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I love these sort of threads - what memories they bring back and conjure up indeed!! I have often had this disscussion with a (sort of friend) and we both agree 1976 (before both our times) and then 1990 and 1995 and I think there was one in 2003/04 and either last year or the year before (with the later 2 just falling outside the DYR Remitt).

Regardless though I think 1976 and 1990 will always top the lists! As well I will always, always recall being on Holiday in Bournemouth in 1990 (late July/1st week into Aug) and nothing could beat that week's weather (or so I thought) as I am 1000% it was 99 that week and I can not recall it being broken until 2003 or 2004 after taht - which seemed like for for-ever!

80sChav

Comment

2006 was another hot summer, though it rained a lot in August but stayed warm.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                        X