Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heatwaves and Hot Summers

Default Re: Heatwaves and Hot Summers

1994 was another hot summer, which was good because I did my GCSEs then had a nice long break before I started at college.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Yep ...and ice cream!
    I am stacking up on Pepsi and Wall's Vienetta - I hope that the weather doesn't affect the availability in the shops.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I am stacking up on Pepsi and Wall's Vienetta - I hope that the weather doesn't affect the availability in the shops.
    Vienetta the ice cream equivalent of mint cracknel chocolate (remember that?)...also like eating glass!

Historical monthly weather reports here
    https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learnin...weather-report

All I remember of the 76 one was dry cracked patches of dirt in spots where we used to have lawn. Great for playing with my toy cars on!

76' was the year that the river Biss in the middle of my home town pretty much dried up and they had people in what was left of the river rescuing the fish and moving them further up steam. I can remember the Ladybird invasion. Every night there seemed to be a terrific thunderstorm especially when the hot summer virtually broke. Town park had no lawn left, it was all burnt yellow. I spent the summer building dens in shaded areas trying to escape the worse of the heat. I also think the hot summer lead to a potato shortage which forced a portion of chips up from 2 and half pence to 10 pence over night. I can remember being given 10p for 4 portions only to be able to bring home a single portion of chips and getting into trouble because dad thought I had spent the rest of the money.

In 1976 there were some very impressive thunderstorms over night during the heatwave although I do not remember it raining much during them. One was when the travelling Fair was on the recreation ground in front of where I lived, those poor people in their caravans whilst all hell was let loose.

It was really weird when the heatwave finally ended one afternoon in August, it got really dark and there were bats flying about as they must have thought it was night time. When it started to rain, it was torrential and there was thunder and lightning but we didn't care and we just ran around in it getting soaked.

"The summer of '76," has it is best remembered. It was a seriously hot, and dry summer. The drought actually started back in September/October 1975. The big heatwave of July and August was the icing on the cake.

The effects of this drought, huge cracks in parched ground, were visible for a long time afterwards.

I well remember the river, near where I lived, resembling nothing more than a stream. Mountain streams dried up completely.

People sitting outside their homes at 11pm in deck chairs, it was too hot to go to bed.

Trains and buses were not washed on the outside for weeks because of the water shortage.

Beaches were packed with sunbathers.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

I remember someone being interviewed about the summer of 1976 mentioned he ended up sleeping in a tent for weeks because the inside of his house was too hot, & the ground dried up so much one wall subsided enough to cause some damage.
    The Trickster On The Roof