Local Derbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Derbies

I think of a local derby in football as something unusual - the fact that if one lived local to a football club, one would have the irony that the away club could be a lot closer to where they are than the home club would be.

Nottingham meant Nottingham Forest v Notts County or vice versa. Forest was my family's side of course.

And of course, it made me think a lot whether Derby County have ever had a local club rival from a football perspective. In other words, has there ever been a Derby derby in football? I did email the Grauniad's football column some time back asking the same question.

What was the most remembered local derby in football? It was probably a Manchester or London one, I bet.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Local Derbies

great thread idea you have had here, George mate

I love your interesting take on it, but now and say in the last say 30 years things have changed "derby-wise" - mean who would of thought Man City meeting Macclesfield for that one season only in 1999 - then there is both Nottoingham's occasionaly v Mansfield and i have heard Hull City and Middlesbrough is one (at a stretch .... of a Coastline anyhow), as too I have heard that Nottingham Forest and Doncaster and the Sheffield's is (agaain at a strech), though I guess Hull-Middlesbrough is, as historicaly both did used to be in Yorkshire and there is only Scarborough in-between

80sChav

Comment

Let's not forget Liverpool vs Tranmere!
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
        Par any friendlies - I think this has happened like once in the last 40 years possibly lol

Comment

Glasgow Rangers and Ayr are anotherr Teams who met far more frequently then than they did now - i recall too

80sChav

Comment

A distant family member gave me some Sticker Albums about 30 or so years back - - most have fallen a-part but i shall treasure them for forever, as 1 is 1978 and 1982 and the 1982 even included a foil badge and club photo for Clubs as far as the 3rd Division (old, old - not the 1 that inherited the title from the old 4th Division - but the last one in 1991/1992)

I recall that Re; the 1978 it has Mansfeld's sole season in D2 in it when i believe they played nottingham Forest for their only time in Leauge History (which must've been a superb Derby I think - from a Town-City Outlook), as well they played Southampton and tottenham in that 1 Season

Moving on to the 1980s - Darlington had Middlesbrough in Division for the 2nd time in 1986 after Middlesbrough's previous one spell in D3 in the mid 60s, as well as Middlesbrough and York being a Derby that year

There was also too many Lancashire Derbys in the mid 80s in Divisions 3 and 4 with many of these oldest known members, slipped so far like Bolton, Preston NE and Burnley

80sChav

Comment

O/T but for a shirt derby, how about when Burnley, Villa and West Ham were all in the prem...!

Comment

Did Middlesbrough get to play Hartlepool much when they were in the lower divisions?
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  Did Middlesbrough get to play Hartlepool much when they were in the lower divisions?
                  No richard they did'nt - what your possibly thinking of is when Middlesbrough nearly went bust in 1986/87, - though they did and add to re-form but was allowed under the same name but with a new date of origin, when they got thown out of Ayresome Park for a short time (like when Coventry had to lodge at Northampton a few years back) and Hartlepool kindly loaned them their ground for a few games

Middlesbrough never forgot that when Hartlepool sank into the Confrence last season and nearly themselves went bust and Middlesbrough held collections for Hartlepool .... that to/for me is real "Derby Spirit" and helping out your Neighbours, which I could not see for say rivals like West Ham and Brentford or Southampton and Portsmouth or Villa and Birmingham etc may-be

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                    Recent friendly

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      I am certain they met Darlington twice on both occassions (of each consisting of 1 Season in the 3rd Division, Richard) and by pure coincidence both seasons spanned ones endoing in 6 to 7, being 1966/67 and 1986/87)

You are probably possibly thinking, Richard of 1986/87 when Middlesbrough had no money and the baliffs knocking on the door and old Ayresome Park got closd down at the start of the Season and Hartlepoool offered them a home, which I recall well as being one of my first real memories of getting into Footy then!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                      X