What’s on TV at this point in 1977

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s on TV at this point in 1977

So 41 years to me seems like a pretty solid number for our next look back at a days viewing of television. This time I have actually compiled everything on all three channels from the testcard to closedown.

What’s interesting to see is how behind the times the BBC were at daytime television.

BBC1
    06:40 : Open University
    07:55 : Closedown
    13:15 : The News
    13:30 : Camberwick Green
    13:45 : Closedown
    15:45 : Pobol y Cym
    16:18 : Regional News
    16:20 : Playschool
    16:45 : Animal Magic
    17:10 : Lets Make A Musical
    17:35 : Ludwig
    17:40 : The News
    17:55 : Nationwide
    18:50 : The Walton’s
    19:40 : Sykes
    20:10 : Z Cars
    21:00 : The Nine O’Clock News
    21:25 : I Didn’t Know You Cared
    21:50 : Red Alert
    22:45 : Tonight
    23:25 : Weather

BBC2
    06:40 : Open University
    07:55 : Closedown
    11:00 : Playschool
    11:25 : Closedown
    16:55 : Open University
    19:00 : News Summary
    19:05 : A Small City Garden
    19:30 : News On 2
    19:40 : Centre Play
    20:10 : International Rugby Special
    21:00 : Rhoda
    21:25 : Six Scenes Of A Marriage
    22:15 : Rhythm On 2
    22:45 : Impressions From Upper Mongolia
    23:45 : Late News On 2

ITV (Anglia)
    09:30 : Summer School
    10:15 : A Man That Looks On Glass
    10:40 : Kiddywinkles
    11:05 : How
    11:35 : Sweet Somerset
    12:00 : Paperplay
    12:10 : Rainbow
    12:30 : Moneywise
    13:00 : News At One
    13:25 : Regional News
    13:30 : Couples
    14:00 : Houseparty
    14:25 : Mid-Week Racing
    15:50 : Emmerdale Farm
    16:20 : Runaround
    16:40 : ExtraOrdinary
    17:15 : Chatterbox
    17:45 : News At 545
    18:00 : Local News
    18:35 : Crossroads
    19:00 : Survival
    19:30 : The Bionic Woman
    20:30 : Man About The House
    21:00 : ITV Playhouse : Roadrunner
    22:00 : News At Ten
    22:30 : City Of Angels
    23:30 : Rush
    00:30 : Anthology

Re: What’s on TV at this point in 1977

Interesting. I remember watching Rhoda, which I think was a spin-off from the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Is this a weekday listing? If so, where are the schools programmes or had schools already broken up?

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
      Is this a weekday listing? If so, where are the schools programmes or had schools already broken up?
      06/07/77 was a Wednesday
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
        06/07/77 was a Wednesday

Thanks. I thought it had to be as I remember Rhoda being shown during the week, but I don't understand what has happened to the programmes for schools, unless they had been already closed down for the summer holiday.

Comment

The schools would not have broken up in early July - still another 2 weeks to go. I think that there was only a full schedule of schools programmes in the autumn and spring terms. By July they were probably shelved until September as schools would be winding down for the holiday - exams over, trips, concerts, sports days, summer fairs etc. Not much real work being done in July.
          Last edited by CrystalBall; 06-07-2018, 16:52.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalBall View Post
            The schools would not have broken up in early July - still another 2 weeks to go. I think that there was only a full schedule of schools programmes in the autumn and spring terms. By July they were probably shelved until September as schools would be winding down for the holiday - exams over, trips, concerts, sports days, summer fairs etc. Not much real work being done in July.

Yes, I think that must be it. I assume "How" on ITV was the popular children's programme with Fred Dinage et al. Couples, I think, was a lunchtime soap. Take the High Road and The Cedar Tree among others would occupy that slot. Houseparty was an odd little programme with various women (no men as they would all be at work) chatting in little groups about recipes, crafts, tips etc, all set in a fake house and the camera would wander from group to group. Occasionally someone would ring the doorbell and come in and talk about something.

Comment

Holiday times the daytimes were taken up by a variety of progs , usually imports such as lost islands, adventures of seaspray, big john little john, kodiak, ed allen time, kreskin, remember this was before daytime viewing was the norm, restricted broadcasting hours were still in force and no breakfast shows,it was always a treat to check the listings to see what was on, there was something naughty about watching tv in the mornings because there was no entertainment tv back then at that time of day, pre-school started at noon, childrens tv about 4.30pm, family viewing at 5.25pm replacing kids tv ending at 5.50 pm for the news.

Comment

Had forgotten all about Houseparty - the only time I would have seen it was when I was off school ill or during the holidays but I can vaguely remember it now. I did a bit of research online and apparently it was a Southern production that ran from 1972 to 1981 so must have had decent viewing figures. Only axed when Southern was taken over and probably deemed too old-fashioned. It was no doubt OK in the 1970s but the whole concept looks very dated now - not 'racy' enough for the brave new world of the 1980s.
                Last edited by CrystalBall; 07-07-2018, 20:17.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalBall View Post
                  Had forgotten all about Houseparty - the only time I would have seen it was when I was off school ill or during the holidays but I can vaguely remember it now. I did a bit of research online and apparently it was a Southern production that ran from 1972 to 1981 so must have had decent viewing figures. Only axed when Southern was taken over and probably deemed too old-fashioned. It was no doubt OK in the 1970s but the whole concept looks very dated now - not 'racy' enough for the brave new world of the 1980s.
                  Also Southern lost their franchise in 1981 & I presume TVS didn't want to take on many existing programmes, though they did re-employ a lot of staff from Southern.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I am rather interested what Chatterbox was at 5.15 pm on Anglia - I assume that was only shown in that region. I believe that it was unconnected to Aled Jones' Children's ITV programme that was on Wednesdays in June 1988.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

When I compiled this I did find it quite odd that there aren’t any programmes for and colleges listed. ITV’s ‘Summer School’ seemed to air at the same slot every day and gives the impression that schools were out, although it seems a couple of weeks before they would be off for summer.

In all fairness there’s precious little here that I am aware of and would be interested in watching. Some scheduling conflict for me as Z Cars clashes with Man About the House, and with my family not getting a VCR for another five years i’ll have to channel change during ITV’s ad break.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                        I am rather interested what Chatterbox was at 5.15 pm on Anglia - I assume that was only shown in that region. I believe that it was unconnected to Aled Jones' Children's ITV programme that was on Wednesdays in June 1988.
                        According to TV Cream, it was a game show in which two teams from different schools had to talk about a random subject, being judged by a panel of celebrities. It was hosted by Chris Kelly and is referred to as a series from 1977, so it sounds like it only ran for a year.

Comment

Originally posted by MiniMort View Post
                          According to TV Cream, it was a game show in which two teams from different schools had to talk about a random subject, being judged by a panel of celebrities. It was hosted by Chris Kelly and is referred to as a series from 1977, so it sounds like it only ran for a year.

It stirs the very vaguest of memories, but Runaround was so much more memorable and popular with my schoolmates and I.

Comment

Originally posted by MiniMort View Post
                            Funnily enough (and I was about to mention it yesterday), I was certain that TV Cream mentioned the 1977 Chatterbox on the late 1990s and early 2000s version of its website, just before the mention of the Aled Jones programme from 1988.

As you mentioned it was a game show, I have just had a look on the UK Game shows website, and there is no mention of it - probably forgotten in time by most people.
                            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                              Funnily enough (and I was about to mention it yesterday), I was certain that TV Cream mentioned the 1977 Chatterbox on the late 1990s and early 2000s version of its website, just before the mention of the Aled Jones programme from 1988.

As you mentioned it was a game show, I have just had a look on the UK Game shows website, and there is no mention of it - probably forgotten in time by most people.
                              I believe it was only ever seen in the Anglia region so it wasn’t even seen by most of the nation

Comment

Working...
                              X